Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-26-2013, 05:12 PM   #181
Ross/Kzoo

Default Re: Model A motor froze-up

Congratulations to you and a special thanks to midgetracer for sticking with the project to completion/starting. It's people like midgetracer that make this hobby so worth it.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #182
SkimmerBob

Congrats Betsy
SkimmerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:20 PM   #183
BetsyModelA

Thank you, Ross/Kzoo, for staying in there for Betsy with your advice and encouragement. I've gained a lot of knowledge about "how to," and much respect for the mechanics' world.
BetsyModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:23 PM   #184
BetsyModelA

Thank you, SkimmerBob. Can't believe how far Betsy has come just within the past couple months - thanks to midgetracer.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #185
Rusty Homestead Fl

Way to go midgetracer
Attached Images
File Type: gif bowing smiley.gif (6.3 KB, 574 views)
Rusty Homestead Fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:30 AM   #186
Michael M

Congratulations to Betsy!!! Enjoy that music!

Kudos to midgetracer. Seems he earned some angel wings for his Motometer!
Michael M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:00 PM   #187
bogiediver

Thumbs up Re: Model A motor froze-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross/Kzoo View Post
It's people like midgetracer that make this hobby so worth it.
+1

Just came across this today and have read with interest...

Glad to hear the operation was a success doctors.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #188
BetsyModelA

Thank you for your comment, bogiediver. Appreciate your addition to this site, especially your encouragment for my "doctors." I've had contact with some of the Very Best!
Old 12-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #189
BetsyModelA

For those who have been following Betsy's progress, I am happy to announce that I was able to start, drive and enjoy a ride in Betsy last Saturday. It was a thrill. With the help and suggestions of so many of you, it happened, and how sweet it is! A special thank you to midgetracer and his selfless contribution with mechanical knowhow and encouragement. Now that Betsy runs, I will concentrate on sprucing her up to looking her best. That'll have to wait until spring. Betsy thanks you all.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:03 AM   #190
BILL WILLIAMSON

Dog here, Well, I'm glad thet thing is FINALLY runnin' Ol' Bill's read this WHOLE thread to me, about 17 or 19??? TIMES ALL 189 POSTS UF IT
Buster T.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #191
BetsyModelA

Thank you, Dog, for being a faithful, interested reader with me. At 72, I am now finding a new passion. I'd like to learn more about Betsy - electrical, wiring, gaskets, and more. I guess there is no end to what I don't, but need, to know about this "nuts and bolts" marvel. I'm setting Betsy in for a winter rest, will start again in the spring. ND can get rather cold for fixing.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #192
700rpm

I thought I'd seen a picture of this frozen A, but I can't find it. Could you post one, or direct me to where I could see one?

Be sure to turn the engine over a few times this winter to keep it moving (no need to start it, just circulate some oil), and drain the water so it doesn't really freeze up. You'll probably get other theories on winter storage, but this I what I do, and have done for 50 years, whenever I've had to leave a car over the winter. Now I just drive 'em all the time.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.

Last edited by 700rpm; 12-02-2013 at 12:54 PM.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:49 PM   #193
Ross/Kzoo

I can't remember if you put anti freeze in it or not but make sure that there is no water in your A. Glad to see the progress that you've made.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:43 PM   #194
Terry,NJ

Hi Betsy! I was away for the whole month of Sept and when I got back, my password no longer worked (Go figure) Anyway, I wondered how you were making out. I'm glad to hear that you got it stated (Taa Daa) Now the next job, cleaning all the MMO and other stuff out of there. Don't discard it yet, you'll have a lot more stuff that's stuck and getting all the rusty joints and sliding parts working again. One place you'll probably need freeing up are the end of the linkage rods (3). Drain and replace all fluids. Trans and rear oil are called 600w. Keep posting as you make progress.
Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #195
jackson32

I have un stuck many engines including Model A's I remove pluggs fill with diesel fuel leave set for a long time checxking making sure it stays full after setting a couple mounths open hood so you can see fan get a couple friends to help you rock car in high gear keep an eye on fan it will brake lose if you are in a hurry remove starter so you can pry up and down on flywheel it will go only a little at a time you change oil and see how it runs
jackson32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #196
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson32 View Post
I have un stuck many engines including Model A's I remove pluggs fill with diesel fuel leave set for a long time checxking making sure it stays full after setting a couple mounths open hood so you can see fan get a couple friends to help you rock car in high gear keep an eye on fan it will brake lose if you are in a hurry remove starter so you can pry up and down on flywheel it will go only a little at a time you change oil and see how it runs
Jackson, I suggested way back in the thread, to keep it FULL of DIESEL & let it soak, A LOOONG time!! But, NOBODY paid NO attention!! I even told them that Chief & I freed a Model A motor on an OOOOOLD arc welder that had been stored outside for at least 30 YEARS
Seems everybody thinks them "MAGIC" POTIONS will free up anything!! Chief called most penetrants, "PANTHER-PI**" Bill W.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #197
Ross/Kzoo

Bill, she doesn't want to wait 30 years for the diesel to work!

Oh, wait, it was stored for 30 years. LOL
Old 12-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #198
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross/Kzoo View Post
Bill, she doesn't want to wait 30 years for the diesel to work!

Oh, wait, it was stored for 30 years. LOL
DON'T git WISE, Kzoo, Ol' Bill'l drive back there & KNOCK yer "BLOCK" off!! (He jist got his Driver's license re-nued today!!!!! He only missed 1 question, Gregg missed 2) Cain't wait to see his new pic, with LOOONG hair & his scruffy BEARD Buster T.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:10 PM   #199
Terry,NJ

Bill, With all due respect, The diesel would work, b ut.... We/I thought that changing the method in midstream, would be not really effective and messy. Gallons of oil and diesel to be gotten rid of later. It might have been to much for a 72 YO lady to cope with.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Jackson, I suggested way back in the thread, to keep it FULL of DIESEL & let it soak, A LOOONG time!! But, NOBODY paid NO attention!! I even told them that Chief & I freed a Model A motor on an OOOOOLD arc welder that had been stored outside for at least 30 YEARS
Seems everybody thinks them "MAGIC" POTIONS will free up anything!! Chief called most penetrants, "PANTHER-PI**" Bill W.
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #200
BetsyModelA

Sorry if I missed your entry, Bill. Often times, when I got a new suggestion I'd run out and try it without responding. My apologies. I soaked the motor with diesel last winter. Then rocked Betsy with a bunch of MMO. What loosed the motor for me was a tool, called Tom's Tool, made out of parts from an old starter used to force the motor to turn. It worked like a charm. Anyway, I see that I need to drain the water out of the radiator. Also, not sure about the oil, should I drain that too? Too much to learn, and so little time. And, worst of all, no warm weather. Snowed 5 inches lately, without the chains I used to have, I'll leave Betsy inside until spring. Someone mentioned to turn the motor over from time to time. I think that would be a good idea. Suppose I need vital fluids in place to do that. Do I sound confused? I'll get it all together one of these days. Thanks for your help - All.