Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2018, 08:28 AM   #1
davidGR

Default New guy! Many questions

Morning everyone.

I finally made the dive, drove up to Lansing and picked up a 1930 Model A Fordor. Older Restoration from a gentleman in Fruitport MI. It ran and I got to drive it. Apologies but I am going to have many questions. Some which may have been answered before so forgive me for that, but on the bright side I have noticed in all your posts that you guys love pictures so I took some in garage for your viewing pleasure, if anyone has any specific places I should snap pictures of let me know. I have Les Andrews books coming in the mail.

First: I think I have a dead battery, I think I left the head light switch on (they're broken so I didn't notice them being on) What the best way to charge this battery, I only have a 12v charger/ maintainer, do I need a 6v one? I'm going to get a new battery on the way home tonight from AutoZone, Are they the same size etc? Also did not come with a cranks so that was out. I like keeping my wrist intact.

Second: I have no shocks, I think the original owner may have took them off for another project, does anyone know if I need them? I will probably get them in the near future? I not a 100% original guy and have looked at the newer bolt on after market shocks, Thoughts

Third: No Headlights or parking lights, I opened the lenses and found the passenger side was smoked up on the inside and the drive was fine? I assume these things aren't run in series, so I would if its up in the switch, how does one get access to that?

Fourth: What are some immediate things I should check mechanically? Brakes stop it pretty well.

Fifth: I've always have had bad luck with clutches, how long does the Model A Clutch typically last, how can I check the status of the clutch etc?

And last, the question of price. I ended up paying 11,200.00 for this guy, good price? Going rate? did I get taken? your thoughts. I know typical answer is you paid for it so enjoy it but I just curious what you guys think.

If anyone's in Grand Rapids MI feel free to stop on by!

Thanks Guys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0435.jpg (56.2 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0436.jpg (64.0 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0434.jpg (54.7 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0437.jpg (67.7 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0432.jpg (36.2 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0439.jpg (72.7 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0425.jpg (105.5 KB, 244 views)
davidGR is offline   Reply With Quote