Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-25-2019, 01:17 PM   #21
scicala

Default Re: 55,56, Sedan Delivery Part Numbers

I hope your helpers enjoyed the ride. I know I would have. Good job.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:45 PM   #22
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LD-Ordie View Post
the locking cylinder has a small button that fits into a matching hole in the door handle, keeping it in the proper location and preventing it's removal. When a key is inserted and turned just a bit, it allows the pin, or button, to fall into a grove inside the cylinder, removing it from the hole in the handle and allowing the cylinder to be removed from the handle.

Yes, I know about the little button you push down after you turn the key allows the lock cylinder to be pulled out of the door handle. And I did not have a key to either the rear door nor the glove box when I got my Courier. I must have picked the lock somehow back then, because I removed the old cylinder without tearing anything up. I did insert a new lock cylinder that had keys. That fixed the back door. I never did do anything about my glove box lock. It still has the original lock with no key.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-25-2019, 11:09 PM   #23
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LD-Ordie View Post
I can currently lock the rear door, but need to crawl inside to unlock it. A pain!!

No you don't. Here's how the Courier back door key works:
To lock; insert key in the cylinder and turn 3/4 of the way around in the clockwise direction, then back again to the straight up position. Remove key. Push the door handle button and it will not allow you to depress it.

To unlock an already locked Courier rear door, insert key in the cylinder and turn 1/4 of the way around in the counterclockwise direction, then back again to the straight up position. Remove key. Now you can push the door handle button and open the door.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:39 AM   #24
LD-Ordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
No you don't. Here's how the Courier back door key works:
To lock; insert key in the cylinder and turn 3/4 of the way around in the clockwise direction, then back again to the straight up position. Remove key. Push the door handle button and it will not allow you to depress it.
Thanks Dave, I was referring to my current situation of not having a key. I have removed the bar that goes from the key to the latch. I now can reach into the latch mechanism via the open panel, and flip the lock portion down locking the latch before I shut the door. But to unlock it, I have to be inside. Hoping to fix the lock and have a key made today. A local locksmith wants me to bring it by and said he would pick it and make a key for around $25. If one of my current keys, either the ignition or my door lock has the same key blank, he can key it the same for a little more. I'm hoping it all works out
LD-Ordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:06 AM   #25
LD-Ordie

So my lock in the handle has been converted to a Station Wagon style. A screwdriver style slot instead of the triangle thing. My new lock won't work. so custom hardware has been made and I can lock the door by flipping the cover up on the handle and turning 1/4 turn with a screwdriver. Doesn't look like I'll get a lock to work as 1/4 turn is max for the hardware and a key lock needs to spin more to remove the key. I'll continue looking for the right stuff, but that might be a pipe dream. At least for now, it can be locked and the chance's are slim a would be thief would flip the door open to look at the key lock. So all my cover panels on the door were also missing, and I have no means of matching the paint, so I made these out of 1/4" oak and found a 7mm brass casing was perfect for the indoor latch. I think I'm good for now and time to move on to other issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7548.jpg (63.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1636.jpg (55.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1637.jpg (50.4 KB, 8 views)
LD-Ordie is offline   Reply With Quote