Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-07-2020, 11:18 PM   #21
trentclark

Default Re: 8BA doesnt have power

All, just remembered another clue. when I hit the gas hard it coughs and almost dies. I have to ease into the throttle. it makes a big sucking sound. any thoughts?
trentclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 05:10 AM   #22
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentclark View Post
All, just remembered another clue. when I hit the gas hard it coughs and almost dies. I have to ease into the throttle. it makes a big sucking sound. any thoughts?
Sounds like you have to address the operation of the accelerator pump.
First try with stroke set to winter (farthest outward position) if no improvement then it may need replacement.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:53 AM   #23
flatjack9

I would say that the carburetor needs another rebuild.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:33 PM   #24
BUBBAS IGNITION

Short story...
A local friend here in Indy builds some of the faster and best sprint cars engines in the country . studiess ever little detail and has a dyno for engines , all recieve a test run before shiiping etc . So hes very qualified.
He bought a basket case 39 for a few years ag and rebuit with great care the engine, ignition was a helmet , that built for him.
He ran the engine on his dyn and came to my shop and siad this isnt working , the engine would make 71 HP !!! I went over it with a fine toothed comb and found NOTHING that wasnt perfect!!
Called Charlie ( on the forum) andhe says to me , put some csh into the carb and ship it to me.
I did, got it back and my friend ( who had rebult the carb twice ) dynoed the engine and now makes 110 hp !!!!!
JUst another suggestion ?????
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:00 PM   #25
Ggmac

Are the brakes dragging ?
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:33 PM   #26
trentclark

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
good advice on the carb. ill check the accel. pump connection. been a while since I rebuilt it (three times) and cannot remember its position.

help me find Charlie. might need his magic touch
i dont think the brakes are dragging but will check. if free rolls well.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:45 PM   #27
Tinker

A think most of go to's are here..

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269580

Charlie I hope this is okay? I believe Charlie is dealing with some family issues. God bless.
Charlie is Charlieny here, maybe send a nice pm. https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/member.php?u=1147

Last edited by Tinker; 01-09-2020 at 12:33 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:16 AM   #28
big job

Big sucking sound? Like an old man running, mouth open sucking for air. thats starving
for fuel . Must have grabbed dirt or something, main jets venturies plugged or the power valve took a dump. As 51 Merc said it won't hurt to go to winter on the acc. pump I run
mine there all year, But the acc. pump mainly comes into place for cold starts. Old cure
sometimes, race it up put hand over carb just to about stall it. And 'sometimes' that piece
of dirt may get sucked out up, by vacuum. I wrote this here many times, engine off
throttle wide open and shoot shop air in each venturie you should get a good fuel mist
on each side - a good good strong atomized mist. I bet thats ya problem sam
big job is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 02:46 PM   #29
trentclark

Thanks for all the help. ill let you know what I find out.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:08 AM   #30
trentclark

Okay, pulled the dizzy, I had #1 at 12:00 so i reworked it at 6:00 and it now starts cold without choke or pumping the gas. not sure why that would matter but it surely did. set the timing at the bump (4 btdc per Tubman) at 475 rpm. swapped out the condenser with one i took off it years ago. checked the vacuum, it has 15 psi. seems a bit low but there are not any leaks, only two vacuum ports, one for vac advance, the other at the carb base for the wipers (not installed and plugged). not sure why the vacuum would be low, shouldnt it be around 25 psi?

I tore into the carb (94 ford) and found that the jets were not matching, one was a 35, the other a 48. looked like the fuel issue. took two 51 jets off another carb, new accel pump plunger, new gaskets and really took the time to clean and blow out all passages, all was clean. oh, and a new power valve. I had 4 power valves in my parts box and two were new or unused. set accel pump stroke to the winter position. vaporizes very well from the pump nozzle (#70).

Did a dry compression test and all ranged between 90-115. ill do it again wet and i assume they will even out.

Still if I hit the gas hard, it dies. It still makes this large sucking sound. if you ease into it it will rev up nicely. thought maybe my electric pump was not giving enough fuel. I ran the pump by itself into a cup and had a nice steady stream of fuel. its an edlebrock pump, now and 3-4 psi. emptied the tank and put in fresh gas, no change.

ill post the video on youtube and post the link so you can see it. still puzzled.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:40 AM   #31
trentclark

video of engine running. when I accelerate it sucks thru the carb loudly and wants to die. audio doesn't demonstrate this well

https://youtu.be/taB7EqcCGmM
video of carb vaporizing when accelerating. seems to be doing what it should but will die if I do this quickly.

https://youtu.be/igmAtT0fcqs

any tips. I know I am missing something simple. hell, almost 40 years ago I put this truck together with no knowledge and drove it every day. has to be something simple. thanks and God Bless.
Old 01-26-2020, 04:12 AM   #32
Mart

I couldn't see clearly enough in the video but do you have the correct carb base with the (can't remember the name) valve in it? It looks a bit like a power valve.

Also, probably not directly related, but why does the carb not close properly?

If you suck on the pipe leading to the vac advance does the engine speed change due to the timing advancing/retarding? I'm thinking of it as a way to test the vac diaphrahm.

Edit:
In the second video I can't see two clear squirts of fuel from the accelerator pump. Is it working? Did you make sure the check ball in the small bore at the base of the accelerator pump bore is not stuck?
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:35 AM   #33
Gene1949

It's all a matter of perspective. If you are a "purist" then by all means suffer the issues with the old Ford carbs and the load 'o' matic dis. Parts to service them are becoming increasingly difficult to come by AND much of it is repop from offshore of dubious quality.

Chevy distribs converted over to electronic are the way to go OR the MSD. Many of us more interest in driving our cars are using the later GM type (50s) 4 bbl carbs. Pretty bullet proof eliminating most of the fuel issues.

We've been running our 49 for 25 years with the above setup and outside of regular oil changes and greasings pretty maintenance free.
Gene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 10:54 AM   #34
tubman

On the other hand, I drove my bone stock '51 club coupe for 31 years (1987-2018) without missing a beat, 94, Load-a-Matic, and all. These are simple machines to work on and I never had a problem with availability of parts. If you want a modified engine, that's just fine, but if you want good running stocker, it's probably much cheaper and easier. Sending your Load-a-Matic to "Bubba" and your carb to Charlie will be much cheaper than buying a 4BBL manifold, finding a decent small base 4G or WCFB and having it properly rebuilt, on top of having a SBC distributor converted. BTW, have you seen the prices on cores for those carburetors these days. By the time you find decent core and have it rebuilt, you will probably be north of $500. A new 390 Holley is probably a lot cheaper, even with the price of the adapter.

The reason that I pulled the stock engine in 2018 is because I had a built Mercury sitting on a stand that I was just itching to install. It's got a lot more power and is just better all around, but a stock engine served me just fine for 31 years.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:53 AM   #35
trentclark

Mart, the carb base doesnt have the valve. the ball in the accel pump is free. when I timed the engine with the vac advance plugged then unplug it the timing does change so the pull off does work. video is not clear but it squirts two nice sprays of fuel.

Gene, a bit of a purist if I can make it work. i know it can run with stock parts well and want to do this first. I have a holley 390 and edelbrock intake but just wanted to keep it stock for now. I want to channel Tubman and drive it stock for the next 31 years if I want to and upgrade it if I want to, not because I had too.

Thanks for the comments. I might just get Bubba and Charlie involved. sometimes you need to go to a higher authority. God Bless
Old 01-26-2020, 12:13 PM   #36
Gene1949

Thankx Trent. Good on you. I did the same (purist) for many years and Tubman is right. It can be done.
I thought about the Holly but there are many mixed reviews on them. The Holly does not take long term storage well. The metering plate and bowel gaskets dry out and you are disassembling it. The early GMs work well and are a good choice.
Bubba and Charley are mentors on this board and good choices to lean on. One of them (I think) years ago did some dyno pulls tuning advance rates. Surprisingly, more/quicker killed the torque curve. Impossible to tune for using the load'o'matic.
Anyways, Every time they write something I always am intrigued and marvel at their knowledge.
Gene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 12:27 PM   #37
tubman

Just a side note. I really like the small base 4G's as well. I got real lucky and found a matched pair (both from '53 Olds Stick cars!) that I rebuilt for an early Offenhauser dual quad on a '51 Rocket. That was about 5 years ago. Lately, I cannot find a decent core for under $100 (on eBay, a lot more). Even small base 2G's are getting difficult to find and expensive. This led to my ill-fated project of trying to put a quadrajet on a flathead.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:38 PM   #38
Mart

Trent. The 94 for the 8BA has a different base. It has a secondary port that has a special valve in it. I don't know the exact functionality of it but it is part of the loadamatic vac advance signal system.
Do you have a spare carb with that type of base? It might make a difference. I don't know.
Millions of people did billions of miles in Fords of that era without having Chevy distributors and GM carbs, and ran better than yours does. There is something wrong. My cars run great on 94s but not without some dialing in.

Can anybody say how important the correct carb base is?

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 01:27 PM   #39
tubman

From what I remember, 8BA carburetors did not have a "spark valve" (that thing that looks like a power valve that screws into the carb base). That is on later carbs (2100's and 2110's). If you do have one of those, it should run fine, if it has the proper distributor vacuum.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:43 PM   #40
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Try what Chap 52 says (,Valve timing ),,remove a spark plug and look at the position of the valve you should be able to see the inlet valve ( I think ) and what's its position in relation to the TDC mark, .You could also pull the front cover to check the marks .

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote