Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-27-2019, 08:13 PM   #21
Tinker

Default Re: A Young Mans Questions

To add to Talkwrench. Toyota had issues with accelerator pedals that just "took off" on people. All electronic and computer controlled, nothing mechanical. 99% of the time it works great, maybe better. Probably just the same with mechanical. All vehicles (planes too) are like that now.

It'd be nice to have a vehicle option available for around 6-10gs that was mostly mechanical things. Void of power accessories (backup cams, entertainment, etc). Or all electric... just the price point here in the states isn't there. No backup cams or parallel parking options .

It's cheaper to add gadgets for 10s of dollars to new vehicles, then add 10s of thousands of dollars to the price. Just business.

But transportation is going to be a whole different animal in the future. Less and less of the new gen has any interest in owning a vehicle. If you doubt look at where GM projects and their investing focus is in.

It's a slow transition. There will always be a community of car guys. Always.

Last edited by Tinker; 05-27-2019 at 08:31 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:52 PM   #22
A bones

My pet peeve is that a simple mechanical function gets assigned to a module to make it better (?). Then comes a system failure than can cost lives (fact). While a simple system of levers and pivot points, is capable of lasting a lifetime.

As far as the public's reaction on the street, most of it occurs after we have passed and folks are twisting their necks and pointing to the spectacle.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:14 PM   #23
Tinker

A bones, I'll give an precise example of your point. I'm a ford guy. But 2016 on Ford truck tailgates only open electric. No mechanical way to open them. They may open great new, but I know of a specific person that has a hard time with this. Certainly it complicates the situation with a cover. What is so bad about a regular mechanic latch? Was it really so bad or inconvenient? Not sure how it improved anything.

Normal grievousness.

Last edited by Tinker; 05-27-2019 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:46 AM   #24
D. Jones

Way too many buttons and gadgets in new vehicles and at some point they will all give some sort of trouble or quit working at the worst possible time. The wife and I have toyed with the idea of buying a new car of some sort as our Jeep doesn't have much room in it for passengers. She wants something that's easy to drive in town and reliable so she can travel to see our kids. I want a 53 Victoria and would compromise and get one with the Ford-o-Matic so it would be easier for her to drive. She said OK but, I know she wouldn't like to drive it anywhere by herself. Guess we're going to do without.
D. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:46 AM   #25
Hoop

Yep, that Ford-O-Matic would make texting easier for her.

"I'm blessed, as my 30 year old grandson loves my 52 Vic & wants to learn to drive a 3 on a tree with overdrive the next time he's in town!"

Not do sure how it's going to go with "3 on a tree."
Old 05-28-2019, 12:45 PM   #26
tubman

Nice thing about a '53 for your wife is that they originally had power steering as an option. I have found that women can become proficient with a manual transmission (I firmly believe the "three on the tree" is about the easiest manual transmission to master), but they will never be happy about the effort required to steer these old brutes, especially in close quarters and slow speeds. Now, try to find one.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 03:15 PM   #27
Bill

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars...ationFlag=true Here's one in my neck of the woods. Looks good in the pics. No power steering 18K asking in CDN money! Just thought I wood throw that into the mix.. Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:45 PM   #28
Ol' Ron

Electric steering is very popular, and can be installed in the old cars. A friend has one in a 38PU from a Saturn.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:27 PM   #29
fourfords

looking at all the posts on this thread tells me that owning these vehicles is about stewardship and NOT glory. The more good memories we can help create in others, the more enjoyment we will have and more money our vehicles will be worth to the next generations.
fourfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:51 PM   #30
Flathead Fever

The other morning I was on my way to Home Depot and a club of lowered Honda Civics was pulled over. As I went by I saw one of the license plates. It said, "Vintage Hot Rod". I thought, this is what world of hot rods and antique cars has come to! Then I thought that Honda could have been 30-year's old. The 1980s and 1990s seem to be the new nostalgic era for the millennials?
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:26 AM   #31
RalphM

According to Merriam-Webster dictionary vintage is a period of or origin or manufacture. So this could be anything. “ I have a vintage lawn mower that I bought last year “

OK, I lied, my lawn mower is 25 years old! Does that make it a classic, or an antique?
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:16 AM   #32
Planojc

Did you show him how the turn signals work?
Planojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:36 PM   #33
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
OK, I lied, my lawn mower is 25 years old! Does that make it a classic, or an antique?

Ralph does it run and cut grass? Then it's a classic. Does it sit in a corner of the yard and the wife puts a planter with flowers on it? Then it's an antique. Ya I don't know....
Old 05-29-2019, 11:14 PM   #34
RalphM

Still runs and cuts grass! I change the oil every spring, and sharpen the blades. So I guess it’s a classic.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:47 PM   #35
Tinker

nomenclature. Both are proper. Classic via webster, "judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind". defined as the best of said vintage. So maybe so, if it's still running.

Vintage defined by the owner of such. Something made 5yrs ago, now could be considered vintage, as things go. I need a few more decades.

Last edited by Tinker; 05-30-2019 at 01:12 AM.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:25 AM   #36
56markII

A while back I was at the gas station filling up my 50 Mercury and decided to check the oil. A kid working there looks at the engine with a blank look on his face and asks "how many cylinders is it?"
When I drive my 56 Continental I laugh watching them try to figure out where the gas tank filler cap is located and the look they give when I pull the driver's side taillight straight back and over to the side. They aren't used to "modern" technology I guess.
How many think the radio is not working because you have to wait for the tubes to warm up.
56markII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:33 AM   #37
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56markII View Post
How many think the radio is not working because you have to wait for the tubes to warm up.
This reminds me of a "mind fart" I had with the radio on my '51. I had it repaired, and got it back, and installed it. After hooking everything up, it just wouldn't work. Oh, it would hum and the tubes would light up, but I couldn't get anything else out of it. After a considerable amount of double checking and
general frustration, I realized that I was inside my shop, which is an all metal building. I took the car outside and the radio worked perfectly,
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:57 AM   #38
Joe Immler

Reference all of the new car stuff: To err is human,but to really screw things up requires a computer.
Joe Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:39 AM   #39
A bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
A bones, I'll give an precise example of your point. I'm a ford guy. But 2016 on Ford truck tailgates only open electric. No mechanical way to open them.

What is so bad about a regular mechanic latch? Was it really so bad or inconvenient? Not sure how it improved anything.

Normal grievousness.
That is a good one. What I sticks in my mind happened perhaps a year back.
( Mind now, thanks to modern medicine some of the drawers of my 'file cabinet' memory are stuck. )

Anyway a person of note, sports personality, gets out of his non Ford, after using the remote gear selector to put it in park. As he walks around the car he is run over. The L tronic module thingy failed, causing his demise.

The best question I've heard though, was from a youngster while watching me add some water to my 'T'. " One question mister, Where do you get a car like that? " I smiled and directed him to ask for a Hemmings Motor News.

Last edited by A bones; 05-30-2019 at 10:45 AM.
A bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:58 AM   #40
Planojc

When folks ask me how long I've had my 35 Ford, I like to tell them that I bought it new and I only have one more payment to make.
Planojc is offline   Reply With Quote