Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-10-2019, 10:57 AM   #1
35fordtn

Default New products thread??

Guys,
As a small vendor that doesn't spend thousands on advertising it can be hard to make hobbyists know of new products available. I was thinking of creating a ongoing thread that smaller vendors in the hobby that are active contributors on here could post new products available. Nothing is more frustrating to spend months looking for a part, only to find out someone has recently produced them.. If you guys think this thread does not belong here in the forum side, speak up.. If you guys that it is ok I will start a seperate thread labeled "new products available".
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:59 AM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: New products thread??

Ryan will decide...

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:25 AM   #3
34PKUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35fordtn View Post
Guys,
As a small vendor that doesn't spend thousands on advertising it can be hard to make hobbyists know of new products available. I was thinking of creating a ongoing thread that smaller vendors in the hobby that are active contributors on here could post new products available. Nothing is more frustrating to spend months looking for a part, only to find out someone has recently produced them.. If you guys think this thread does not belong here in the forum side, speak up.. If you guys that it is ok I will start a seperate thread labeled "new products available".
Just what do you mean by "new" products?
I believe that the Parts for sale forum would be the proper place for any "new" or used products.
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:45 AM   #4
flatheadmurre

Since there is an ongoing promotion from other members in threads about coils/pumps and ignitions why canīt you promote your products to...
And the idee of a specific thread with the promos is perhaps the way to keep it in one place easy for members to find and out of the "normal" threads...
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:48 AM   #5
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34PKUP View Post
Just what do you mean by "new" products?
I believe that the Parts for sale forum would be the proper place for any "new" or used products.
Not speaking on behalf of Michael, however I believe what he means by "new products" are items that are not currently reproduced by the big reproduction guys that he has made an investment in time and money to make and sell. A place or thread where you may not otherwise know such product is being made and sold. I think the thread is a fine idea.

Also, post it up on the swap page too. The more exposure, the more folks will know about where to find the "impossible items".
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:01 PM   #6
tubman

I am all for this. As most (?) of you know, I am offering my updated "Trash Can" condensers and a 6V tachometer driver. I try to get the information out, but every time I sell one, the buyer asks "Where have you been and why haven't I heard of this before?".

I'm just an old guy puttering around in my shop and have neither the knowledge nor desire to get into an advertising "blitz". At least this would be something I could easily do.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:23 PM   #7
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
If you guys think that it is ok I will start a seperate thread labeled "new products available".

Michael....I think it's a wonderful idea. You have certainly stepped-up to the plate on numerous occasions to promote this community and to further our hobby along. There's another on-going thread about lunchtime or something or another, that incorporates 139 pages and dates back to January of 2012. For some time now, that thread is only used to promote a privately-backed Cigar City car show. I believe a "NEW PRODUCTS" thread would benefit many of us old Ford guys and gals that are wishin' and a hopin' for any number of new products to fill a specific need. Your thread MIGHT even be used by us car folks to lend suggestions for much-needed products. I say GO for it! Who can't like "New Stuff"? We desperately need more GOOD folks in this hobby like you's "guys" to help insure that our pastime will endure the diminishing-parts situation for more years to come. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:33 PM   #8
DavidG

Love the photo, the people in it, and my old phaeton bought in the parking lot of the yacht club in Rio de Janeiro.

As for the idea, it's a good one, and hopefully Bill Monzo will be an active participant with his list of '33-'34 goodies that he has produced.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:35 PM   #9
19Fordy

Good idea. I think there are quite a few Fordbarners making new 'goodies" that no one else manufactures. Could even be made available on an "as requested" basis.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:02 PM   #10
35fordtn

Thanks for the responsiveness, suggestions, and support.

I would as Seth said envision a ongoing thread of only "new to the market" products, or products back on the market that have been gone for a long time. Suggestions for new products would be beneficial as well. Smaller suppliers that aren't in the category of having dozens of employees and huge marketing budgets can have a hard time spending the money of tooling and production, only to have a product barely be known about or sold.

Bill Monzo, is a good example of someone making excellent parts that most are unaware of, and Tubman's condensers as well.

Hopefully others, like Mac Van Pelt, etc. etc. Can you this is a tool to spread word of a new product they may have available.

Thanks Coopman for hashing up that photo, of me with my best friend whom I happen to be married to, in front of one of my prized possessions that I purchased from DavidG on here.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:24 PM   #11
deuce_roadster

What Coopman said x2. A thread like this would benefit FAR more people then the few that can attend the yearly promoted car show in Florida. This would be something that would promote the core reason FB exists and would be better seen here then the For Sale area. Hope this materializes.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:30 PM   #12
Tim Ayers

Love it and I hope it works out.

I hope you are able to make the '32 trans mount "L" bolts and nuts part of these new products!
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:50 PM   #13
35fordtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Love it and I hope it works out.

I hope you are able to make the '32 trans mount "L" bolts and nuts part of these new products!
Tim,
I recently had some of the nuts made up for 32-33's (castle 5/8" AF) in a very small run (and truth be known we take a loss on them in every sale due to cost)

The late 33-up versions (slotted hex 5/8AF) I can make in house on my lathe and mill.. The issue is the time involved to simply make 4 nuts, that sell for $12.95........ Both are a example of a labor of love not profit.

As for the "L" bolts, I have looked into it and I can have them made, but for the financial plunge it would take to produce them, I just wont be making those.. FYI I have been using regular hex bolts with a "peened" shank and works just fine in place of the L bolts.

Making the nuts for both in a large run, is on my radar but off in the distance.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:58 PM   #14
FritzJr

I think that such a thread would be a great help in finding those items which are not in the catalogs of the big vendors.
FritzJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:16 PM   #15
tubman

Boy, I can totally identify with the concept of labor pushing the cost through the roof on small runs!
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:16 PM   #16
JSeery
Member Emeritus

New products list sounds good to me.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:20 PM   #17
35fordtn

Quote:
Tim,

I recently had some of the nuts made up for 32-33's (castle 5/8" AF) in a very small run (and truth be known we take a loss on them in every sale due to cost)

The late 33-up versions (slotted hex 5/8AF) I can make in house on my lathe and mill.. The issue is the time involved to simply make 4 nuts, that sell for $12.95........ Both are a example of a labor of love not profit.

As for the "L" bolts, I have looked into it and I can have them made, but for the financial plunge it would take to produce them, I just wont be making those.. FYI I have been using regular hex bolts with a "peened" shank and works just fine in place of the L bolts.

Making the nuts for both in a large run, is on my radar but off in the distance.

Tim interestingly enough this is how I make the castle and slotted nuts. I find a 7/16-20 coupling sleeve 5/8” AF and then shape on a lathe and slot in my mill, then sent off for plating.. Quite a process for a simple castle nut.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:58 PM   #18
TJ

How about a "New Products" section in the Swap Meet forum. You could have a "New Products" sub section under each forum so that product would be easily identified as fitting a Model A, Early V-8, etc.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:24 PM   #19
BoxCar Tom

Can some one please post a picture (or two) of the "32 trans mount "L" bolts and nuts" Its been awhile since Ive been that deep in my car so I wonder if I used the correct parts.
BoxCar Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:58 PM   #20
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Tom View Post
Can some one please post a picture (or two) of the "32 trans mount "L" bolts and nuts" Its been awhile since Ive been that deep in my car so I wonder if I used the correct parts.

Here's a pic of the "L-bolts", although I'm not sure whether or not they're authentic as original. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote