Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-03-2018, 12:03 PM   #1
32Bee

Default 35 Drag Link Rebuild

I'm working on creating a correct drag link for my 35 and need to rebuild the
two tie rod ends. Has any body taken apart a drag link and, if so, what's the best
way to remove the bottom cap and once it's removed will the innards be easy to
remove or will they need to be pressed out? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Peter
32Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 12:14 PM   #2
SofaKing

Default Re: 35 Drag Link Rebuild

Will you please post a photo, a drag link doesn't typically have anything I associate with innards?
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 01:02 PM   #3
Terry,OH

I believe the original was not adjustable and the lubrication fitting were on the side of the ends not on the bottom. Very unusual for one year only. I think Mike at Third Gen Auto may have made some reproductions. May want to contact him.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 02:52 PM   #4
JM 35 Sedan

Posting photo of page on drag links from EFV8 Club's 1935-36 Ford Book. Picture at top of page shows 35 Ford one piece drag link. The "innerds" or ball ends with tapered & threaded ends are shown in exploded views.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180303_142618008_HDR(1).jpg (53.5 KB, 267 views)

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:12 PM   #5
Kurt in NJ

I have had many tie rod ends apart, I was looking to salvage springs to rebuild a Citroen tie rod end, getting them apart is a matter of removing the flat piece of steel that is crimped into the housing ---the trick it being able to re crimp the cover back, probably the innerds of replacement end could be used, but my thoughts were to block off the fitting in the flat plate and create the boss on the side---though for the 35 the one piece drag link would require more, perhaps threading and making a screw in plug made to look like the crimp and plate, then tig welding the seam ----samples of originals are rare, at least I have seen few and have looked in many junk boxes and 1$ piles to have a original sample ---most tie rod ends for even modern cars are built the same, scrounge a few and try taking them apart
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:48 PM   #6
32Bee

I was fortunate enough to purchase an NOS drag link on Ebay several months ago and am going to start with that to create a correct 35 drag link assembly. The reason for the need
to rebuild the tie rod ends is because the stud shank size is the wrong diameter (too small)for my pitman arm and backing plate arm. So, I'm going to remove the existing bottom covers, extract the existing parts and install the correct size components. Fortunately the grease fittings are already located on the sides and not the bottom as they usually are. If anyone has any ideas on how to salvage the bottom covers, please chime
in.

Thanks for your comments. I'll let you know how I make out.

Peter
32Bee is offline   Reply With Quote