Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-05-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
bobpo

Exclamation Model A DISPLAY

Being new to the Model A hobby I've noticed that the fellas who show off the Model A's rarely have a display around them.

Having started showing custom cars back in the late 50's I always had some sort of Display relating to my car. In fact sometimes I created custom displays for other cars and even took several awards for the displays alone. I've always had a lot of fun building a display and it doesn't take that much to do one either..

Since I'm just finishing my Coupe, I'll be entering it in several Car Shows this coming summer and I think there's a lot of potential for a great display with it.....

Or how about some photos of Model A displays you might have created or seen...?

P.S. how do I get rid of that little "caution" symbol?

Last edited by bobpo; 12-05-2011 at 06:19 PM. Reason: errors
bobpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
700rpm

Default Re: Model A DISPLAY

John Madden was once asked what he thought about the half-time entertainment at football games. He replied, "I thought the game was the entertainment." I think that's the general attitude about showing our cars: they are the show.

PS: Go to Advance editing. Sometimes (not always) you can change the topic.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.

Last edited by 700rpm; 12-05-2011 at 07:28 PM.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
bobpo

Thanks
bobpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:11 PM   #4
Dusty

This is my display, can't go wrong with a good display!
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:27 PM   #5
[email protected]

Smile Re: Model A DISPLAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Now that is what I call hitting on all four cylinders !!!!!
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:39 PM   #6
Dusty

Yea, I like a good four banger
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:11 AM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

When I display my car I have my tools out, I have a tripod with a framed display of coins, stamps, drivers license etc. In the car I have a fedora and full size Thompson air gun.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:14 AM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpo View Post
Having started showing custom cars back in the late 50's I always had some sort of Display relating to my car. In fact sometimes I created custom displays for other cars and even took several awards for the displays alone. I've always had a lot of fun building a display and it doesn't take that much to do one either..

Going off-topic here a bit, back in the late 70's and through the early 80's I also built & toured show cars for people who competed on the Winston International Show Car Association show circuit during the winter months. I did this for 6 or 7 years until I finally got tired of living in a hotel for 20 weeks out of the year traveling around the country.

Below is a car I assembled & toured for a businessman out of Houston where it won numerous awards all over the country including many Best Display and Best Sign awards. I also toured custom bikes with this car including one for Cory Ness (Arlan Ness' son) that we built displays for. I suppose that is why today I just don't care for an "Easter Egg" (--something you look at that is pretty but you can't do anything else with it! ) ...therefore I am a fanatic about detail but want everything to function as good as it looks. I said all that to say that IMHO, I feel that most 'displays' detract from the vehicle itself and as such I don't like to use them. For example, at the MARC meet in French Lick, the fine-point cars were behind Stanchions & Ropes to keep the crowd away from the cars during viewing yet at San Diego the cars were in an open setting without any crowd barriers. Many favorable comments were heard by attendees regarding this topic at SD. IMO both organizers did a fantastic job at planning each of those venues so it was just a preference call.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Godfather_5.jpg (57.2 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg Godfather_4.jpg (28.5 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg Godfather_7.jpg (32.8 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg Godfather-600x399.jpg (55.4 KB, 121 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #9
JBR

JMHO, it's a nice looking car. The attention to detail is amazing, as is the paint, but what good is it? It doesn't appear to be street legal, so you can't drive it. I rather doubt that you would race it because of the amount of money tied up in it. As far as I can see, the only thing you can do with it is have you friends over to look at it and say, "I spent XXX,XXX.00 dollars having it built."
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:59 AM   #10
Deluxe Delivery

This was my first snowing of the still unrubbed out DD in September, exactly 80 years to the month from it's manufacture. I displayed it with a nice porcelain Ford sign, a Ford battery sign, my tools displayed in an old seed box, a license plate, and a little framed story about the truck. Mostly went un-noticed as the muscle and rods got all the attention, but satisfying for me. Most people just don't seem to understand un-rodded vehicles around here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sunbeam 071.jpg (113.5 KB, 103 views)
Deluxe Delivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:19 AM   #11
1931 flamingo

DD: That's a nice display.
Brent: Nice display also, I remember going to shows in the "day" and some displays must have cost almost as much as the displayed vehicle.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

Talking Re: Model A DISPLAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Whoa!!! Your car is green with envy, and so am I.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:38 AM   #13
CarlG

And WV is sooooooooooooo far away!
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:38 AM   #14
1930artdeco

My car carries around her own display on her radiator apparently. People were more interested in the bugs that were mashed into the rad than the car at times.

Mike
Old 12-06-2011, 11:48 AM   #15
Rusty Homestead Fl

The item that I like best in any display is a photo album of when the car was first aquired (in a barn, field, junk yard, etc.) to it's present condition. The step by step restoration process captured in pictures is something most observers wonder over. I can flip pages from cover to cover and appreciate the effort in everyone's build.
Rusty Homestead Fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:54 AM   #16
David Conwill

Speaking as a spectator rather than an exhibitor, I will chime in and say I hate displays. The best car shows are the ones where the cars are in motion (think Old Car Festival), but if I’m looking at cars on static display, I want to be able to see their details (from a respectful distance, of course). Stuffed animals, crybabies, period ephemera, photo albums, plaques, and (worst of all) trophies from other events just obscure and distract from the car.

The one defense I’ve heard of displays is that it does allow non-car people to have a bit of fun attending car shows (often this is the wife of the owner), and if that’s the case, I say more power to you. For my part, though, I prefer the cars unadorned so I can see them.

-Dave
David Conwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #17
redmodelt

While I don't put my car on display much (except when I am driving or parked at the store ) I do want to make up a placard with some information about when where and what.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:04 PM   #18
LukeDahlinger
BANNED

At times I have used a simple sign explaining the year, color etc, but those were supplied by the show(Concours type shows).

I seldom display a car at shows anymore but when I do I don't have any sign or display. What cracks me up is some people will display a photo of the car in front of the car. What the hell is the point of that? LOL

Dave- Those crybaby dolls are asinine! Who ever invented it sure has sold alot of them but they look dumb. Not unlike those visors with the silver spiked hair sticking out of the top that are all the rage now.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:39 PM   #19
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Conwill View Post
(worst of all) trophies from other events just obscure and distract from the car.

The one defense I’ve heard of displays is that it does allow non-car people to have a bit of fun attending car shows (often this is the wife of the owner), and if that’s the case, I say more power to you. For my part, though, I prefer the cars unadorned so I can see them.

-Dave
I agree with you on the trophies!!! and I have seen the wives look at the stuff in my displays while the husband looks at the car.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #20
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBR View Post
JMHO, it's a nice looking car. The attention to detail is amazing, as is the paint, but what good is it? It doesn't appear to be street legal, so you can't drive it. I rather doubt that you would race it because of the amount of money tied up in it. As far as I can see, the only thing you can do with it is have you friends over to look at it and say, "I spent XXX,XXX.00 dollars having it built."
You are correct in that it was built to a point where all it really was is an "Easter Egg". My definition of an Easter Egg is something you look at but can't do anything with. That IMO was what this car was turned into during it latter years, ....however it was the highest finishing Ford Show Car (Ford powered/Ford bodied) in the country for a couple years in a row which for that, Ford awarded a brand new Ford Mustang to the owner for each of those years (one was a red SVO and a black GT), plus it won other cash money & contingencies for the owner. Yeah, it probably won $100k in cash & prizes and he probably spent $150k doing it, but he did it for the sport of doing it and not the money.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote