Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #1
bobpo

Default Can't get Rear Drum OFF...???..!!!!

ARGH-H-H.... When I connected my Emergency Brake (finally) and took my Coupe for a 60 mile drive, I noticed that when I pulled back into my shop and pushed the clutch in, she came to a stop without rolling like it used to. So I removed the clevis pins on the emergency brake rods and the tried to remove the rear drum. (the one that seems to be tied up). NO WAY. I tried a puller, still no luck. I tapped the hub with the puller tightened up. Nothing seems to work. Tried 3 days now. I had backed the adjuster up quiet a bit.

Any ideas ??
bobpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Can't get Rear Drum OFF...???..!!!!

Are you having trouble getting the drum to come off of the axle or is it off of the axle and loose and you still can't get it off of the rear end? Any chance you have hydraulic brakes and there are safety hubs installed (look for two studs and nuts and two bolts attaching the rear backing plate to the axle). What type of puller are you using (KR Wilson I hope)?

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
One idea the older guys used to say, was to loosen the lug nuts, drive carefully and slowly around the block, and then try again.

Usually that is enough to pop them loose. Sounds like you have already loosened the adjuster as far as it will go.
Jeff,

Did you mean axle nut instead of lug nuts? If not, you may have a new approach that I have never heard of before.

Charlie
Old 07-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
jkeesey

Did you use a model a hub puller or a standard puller? Try with both service and e brake clevis' disconnected to turn the drum with a pry bar if it turns it should come off. Here's two tricks ive learned if they're stubborn. Thread the axle nut onto the hub until it is flush with the end then torque on the model a hub puller as tight as you can. Then hut the end of the pulled spindle with a sledge hammer. If that doesn't work use a torch and heat in a straight line from the axle nut side in and if that doesn't pop it hit it with the hammer again. With the right tools and technique it will always come off.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
Special Coupe Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
One idea the older guys used to say, was to loosen the lug nuts, drive carefully and slowly around the block, and then try again.

Usually that is enough to pop them loose. Sounds like you have already loosened the adjuster as far as it will go.

I think it's the center axle nut that should be loosened... a drive around the block on loose lug-nuts can't be good for the wheels or the lugs...

I have used this trick on the Model A and other vehicles with tapered rear axles, and it works.

SC Frank
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #6
bobpo

O.K., I have standard Mechanical Brakes, which had been replaced by the person who was remodeling it before me. I am using a standard 3-prong puller and I'm supprised I haven't busted it with the torque I've applied.

I've put torque on it til' I can't do it anymore, then used some penetrating oil, then tried tapping it with a hammer, even tapped the end of the puller screw, let it sit overnight, started all over in the morning. Three days in a row.

I think I stopped just shy of busting the puller. I also used the knock-off puller from snyder's.

I think I'll try the "driving with a 'loose nut' method first (actually my wife says I have been doing that forever, LOL) If that doesn't work, I will order the Snyder Hub Puller.

Appreciate your help as usual.................Whew, sure is hot at 100+........... Always said I like SNOW better.....
Old 07-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #7
CarlG

Mitchell has a dandy hub puller, works on both types of hubs. Price is reasonable and shipping is only $5. Got mine in about 3 days after placing the order.
CarlG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
johnbuckley

Have you tried leaving it overnight with the hub puller in position and wound tight? Particularlt handy if nights drop to sub zero!
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:35 PM   #9
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpo View Post
O.K., I have standard Mechanical Brakes, which had been replaced by the person who was remodeling it before me. I am using a standard 3-prong puller and I'm supprised I haven't busted it with the torque I've applied.

I've put torque on it til' I can't do it anymore, then used some penetrating oil, then tried tapping it with a hammer, even tapped the end of the puller screw, let it sit overnight, started all over in the morning. Three days in a row.

I think I stopped just shy of busting the puller. I also used the knock-off puller from snyder's.

I think I'll try the "driving with a 'loose nut' method first (actually my wife says I have been doing that forever, LOL) If that doesn't work, I will order the Snyder Hub Puller.

Appreciate your help as usual.................Whew, sure is hot at 100+........... Always said I like SNOW better.....
Throw the knock-off puller away before you ruin the threads on the axle. Buy the reproduction KR Wilson puller, expensive but cheaper than an axle.

Charlie Stephens
Old 07-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #10
BILL WILLIAMSON

I've had good luck with the plain axle knocker nut. With a wheel & tire on the drum & on the floor, jack up opposite wheel. With knocker TIGHT, rap it once with a large hammer, tighten knocker, rap it once, tighten knocker, etc. Keeping knocker TIGHT between blows will protect threads from possible damage. I tighten it with a large Crescent wrench and a blow from the LARGE hammer. Bill W.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:46 PM   #11
Richard Lorenz

Use a 2-prong puller, tightened. Jack up wheel and then lower onto a piece of 3/8 thick steel placed in the hub groove that is given a very solid support from the floor. Take another 3/8 thick steel held in the top side of the hub groove using vise-grips to hand-hold this piece in place. Then bank on the top 3/8 piece with a heavy sledge hammer. If hub does not come off, rotate 2-prong puller 90 degrees and repeat with support and sledge hammer. If still no success, try a little heat and repeat with the sledge hammer.

This puts pressure on the axle taper similar to method for loosening tie rod ends on modern cars.
Richard Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #12
FL&WVMIKE

bobpo .....................
You didn't, sub-conciously, set the emergency brake, when you parked, did you ?
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #13
jmeckel

Make sure you back the adjuster all the way out, If new shoes were installed and the drums not turned, but worn, there will be a lip you need to get the shoes past, can be a big job.

"If you choose to not decide, you still have made a choice!" RUSH

Don't tell me what you know..... Tell me what you have done.
jmeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:33 PM   #14
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE View Post
MIKE
bobpo,

This and the post that followed it make it a good time to ask. Is it correct to assume that the hub if firmly attached to the axle? The alternative would be that the drum is free from the axle taper and hanging up on something else.

Charlie Stephens
Old 07-18-2012, 02:48 PM   #15
AlanD

I was thinking like the above posts, make sure the emergency break is not engaged and there is no tension on the service breaks.

I pulled my rear hub off last night to check break pad wear. I had to turn the adjuster wedge down quite a bit before the hub would let go.
AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:22 PM   #16
bobpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE View Post
MIKE
No, I didn't set the emergency brake. The drum is still tight on the axle end. I disconnected the emergency brake rods, including the clevis'. I also backed the service brake adjustment wedges "Way" off.

I know the drums were ground when the brakes were installed by the previous owner, I've got the receipt. And I only have about 1,000 miles on the car. Easy miles at that. ?????????
Old 07-18-2012, 11:26 PM   #17
columbiA

bobpo When you have the puller tight,dont just tap it to get the hub off.You have to use a 4# hammer & really hit it hard.I have never had a problem using a K O puller. make sure the K O is bottomed on end of shaft with a bit of space to hub.After every hit you have to tighten it to prevent damage to threads.Ive removed many hubs over the years & never had a problem.Also,raise the opposite wheel clear of the ground may help.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:00 AM   #18
Cory Moffat

Hi Bobpo
Make sure you leave a nut on the axle the nut flush with the end of the axle. You don't want to swell the end of the axle or worse crack it down the middle. Don't use your good axle nut. Find another and turn it upside down. So the castle is towards the hub but not against it. With your puller on the hub tightened hard. Smack it hard as columbiA says.

PS. Hit the puller with your hammer straight on

Last edited by Cory Moffat; 07-19-2012 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Added more
Cory Moffat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:53 AM   #19
supergnat

Hi Bobpo,
I would never use a three or two arm puller on a Model A. I purchased the rear hub puler that Brattons sells for $29.50. Be sure to get the one designed for your style hub. Mine works great. Also be sure to put the axle nut on in reverse as described in reply 20 above to protect the shaft end. Good luck.
Supergnat
supergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:53 AM   #20
bobpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Moffat View Post
Hi Bobpo
Make sure you leave a nut on the axle the nut flush with the end of the axle. You don't want to swell the end of the axle or worse crack it down the middle. Don't use your good axle nut. Find another and turn it upside down. So the castle is towards the hub but not against it. With your puller on the hub tightened hard. Smack it hard as columbiA says.

PS. Hit the puller with your hammer straight on
Actually I used a small sledge hammer, tapped straight on. I'm going to try Special Coupe Frank's thought and drive it down the road a piece. Our block is more like 6 miles around.