Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-25-2019, 05:39 AM   #1
chrs1961815

Default Top Irons Are Tight

I have never been satisfied with my 28 Roadster top. It is very difficult to fold down. It seems locked at the joint that bends to fold it. How do I fix this?
chrs1961815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:30 AM   #2
chrs1961815

Default Re: Top Irons Are Tight

Also, these are original irons.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:31 PM   #3
chrs1961815

Any takers?
Old 04-25-2019, 01:09 PM   #4
rotorwrench

I don't have a lot of experience with the earlier 28/29 top irons but I know how they are constructed. There may be some friction going on in the hinge points due to corrosion or perhaps hardware has been replaced at some point that may have created issues. It would take some care to use penetrating oil without affecting the top material but it can be done with care and forethought. If penetrants and exercise don't help, the hinge pins may need to come out for repair or replacement.

Maybe someone that has restored some will step up. Have patience. Where there is a will, there is a way.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 01:14 PM   #5
chrs1961815

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
I don't have a lot of experience with the earlier 28/29 top irons but I know how they are constructed. There may be some friction going on in the hinge points due to corrosion or perhaps hardware has been replaced at some point that may have created issues. It would take some care to use penetrating oil without affecting the top material but it can be done with care and forethought. If penetrants and exercise don't help, the hinge pins may need to come out for repair or replacement.

Maybe someone that has restored some will step up. Have patience. Where there is a will, there is a way.
Thanks for your input. I was thinking about using some oil on the hinges, but haven't gotten around to it.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:55 PM   #6
Synchro909

I'd use a light weight oil - it will lubricate and penetrate over time quite well. Take care not to get any on the fabric.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:11 PM   #7
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

I have a '29 Roadster and putting the top up at my age is really a chore. It gets harder all the time and I definitely need help. For me it's not the top irons that are a problem, it's the top material that is hard to stretch enough to put the clamps on to tighten them.

I have 1930 Roadster project but it doesn't have a top so I cannot compare the two.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:58 PM   #8
chrs1961815

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
I have a '29 Roadster and putting the top up at my age is really a chore. It gets harder all the time and I definitely need help. For me it's not the top irons that are a problem, it's the top material that is hard to stretch enough to put the clamps on to tighten them.

I have 1930 Roadster project but it doesn't have a top so I cannot compare the two.

David Serrano
That is also difficult to on my car. One side has to be done first before the other side can be forced onto the stanchion.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:22 AM   #9
LEM

To clamp my top on the ‘28 I have to loosen the hinge wing nuts on the windshield and then open the windshield forward slightly. Even doing this sometimes it is a little difficult but much easier.
LEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 12:11 PM   #10
Jim M

I have a 29 Roadster that the top was rotten and so was the wood spars. I replace the spars with ones from Lebarron Barney (now out of business) and they work great. I am having a local upholstery shop do a new top for me and he has done another one that works just fine. As mentioned I believe the old top material has no flexibility for its age. Not sure if there is anything you can spray on to loosen it up. New material for the top may need to be in your future plans.
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote