Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-15-2019, 09:54 PM   #1
Bud Man

Default Coolant Debris Looks Like RTV

Have been running my newly rebuilt engine for several months now, and have had a Gano filter installed since it’s first start. The Gano is definitely doing its job, but clogs fairly quickly. When cleaning, a very small amount of the deposits are black scaly material, with the majority of the clogging coming from what appears to be rubbery waterlogged Copper RTV. Perplexing, because I have never used it for any application where it could migrate from the cooling system. Fortunately the new radiator has been protected from it all by the Gano, but I can’t really drive it for long until it completely clogs up, A flush is planned, but any theories where this stuff may have come from would be appreciated.
Bud Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:39 PM   #2
Smooth_One

Default Re: Coolant Debris Looks Like RTV

Call me slow but I’ve never seen these. Would be a great idea for some to use.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:51 AM   #3
denniskliesen

I would say the black scaly deposits could be from Rust 911 or Evaporust. Evaporust makes Thermocure or something like that to help get rid of rust. Obviously the Copper RTV is coming from when the engine was rebuilt or another chemical has loosened it from being in your engine prior to being rebuilt. Either way you will eventually not have as much debris in your Gano filter. Never run your Model A without it.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:57 AM   #4
1crosscut

Are you using a 50/50 mix of coolant or running water?
Old 03-16-2019, 09:45 AM   #5
30 Closed Cab PU

I did a lot of treatments with evaporust and thermocure when I was having overheating issues. Noticed that it left a grey coating that water flush/backflush would not entirely remove. After running my A with water for a time the water would turn a slight grey.

So I put in White Vinegar for a couple of weeks and ran my A. Then ran Baking Soda/ Water for a couple of days. And then backflushed/flushed extensively. Always did the backflush 1st to keep crud from lodging in the radiator. After the White vinegar treatment/backflush/flush/baking soda treatment, amount of stuff that would be caught by a filter was greatly reduced.

What I ran into was a lot of grit and rust flakes(flakes ostly with white vinegar), do not know if the grit was scale, rust, or casting sand. But it was a grey color, maybe due to the thermocure/evaporust. I did an inspection of what was drained/Flushed by using a large tub to collect what was drained.

What I noticed using the thermocure/evaporust is there was very little debris (rust flakes) with some grit, but it drained India Ink Black. When I used the White Vinegar I got some rust flakes. My theory is that the Evaporust/thermocure slowly dissolves rust/scale, while white Vinegar is more aggressive and can loosen flakes/ rust/scale .

I was not at the time using a filter, now know better.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:11 PM   #6
Railcarmover
BANNED

Ive saved four radiators that were changed out due to being plugged by back flushing them with a commercial hot water/ chemical pressure washer.un believeable amount of rust scale and debris bound with water pump grease
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 01:16 PM   #7
Bud Man

Smile Re: Coolant Debris Looks Like RTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1crosscut View Post
Are you using a 50/50 mix of coolant or running water?
Been running her with a 50/50 mix, but planning to transition to water and Water Wetter when I do the flush. Know that eventually the Gano will catch all the debris that's left, but so far the amount captured shows no sign of stopping. Frustrating because I'm only getting maybe 10 miles in before its 99% blocked. My radiator and I enthusiastically recommend the Gano, but its efficiency can be a "two edged sword"
Bud Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 02:04 PM   #8
100IH

About the only place that RTV is allowed, in My book is the gooseneck water outlet when eliminating the copper gasket and then very thin application. Better yet is the Right Stuff from permatex, also in thin applications.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 02:11 PM   #9
30 Closed Cab PU

Does seem strange that a rebuilt motor and a new radiator would have that much to have to flush out.

I believe Mitch and others have posted before that it is not uncommon to catch a lot of stuff after a rebuild in a coolant filter.

Last edited by 30 Closed Cab PU; 03-16-2019 at 02:12 PM. Reason: typo
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:23 PM   #10
Synchro909

If a soluble oiil has been used in the cooling system, it is possible that the black crap in the filter is the insides of your hoses. Most of those oils attack the hose and soften them. As the hose disintegrates, pieces get into the coling system and clog things. It would look like RTV.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:37 PM   #11
daren007

About the only place RTV should be used in my opinion is to take up space in your tool box.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:21 PM   #12
eagle

Is it possibly radiator stop-leak? I've had that stuff turn to goo after some years and make a real mess in tractors. Some can be kind of coppery colored.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:50 AM   #13
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by daren007 View Post
About the only place RTV should be used in my opinion is to take up space in your tool box.
Ditto
Old 03-17-2019, 12:04 PM   #14
Tacoma Bob

MMMM Perhaps a P/O put sodium silicate in the cooling system. One the "advise" of a club member I used that crap. NEVER again.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:08 PM   #15
Railcarmover
BANNED

In my opinion RTV gets a bad rap..the modern stuff is amazing used correctly.That's the key, nothing like a leakless oil pan..I use it lightly to aide a head gasket in trouble spots on a deck.Nothing works better splicing a gasket when you do a timing cover without removing the pan.

Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:17 PM   #16
woofa.express

I recently installed new radiators in my Tourer and Ute. (Phaeton and Pickup). The ute, a pressurised one and the Tourer non pressurised. I installed a sock debris filter in both.
Prior to adding a radiator inhibitor in the ute I filled the radiator with vinegar and ran 30 miles only to have about a gallon blow out of the hose where the sock is fitted. What a mess. Many hours cleaning required and by cutting back the stain I have taken the gloss of the nice paint job.
Question. Has anyone else had a loss of coolant where a sock is fitted. Remember this radiator is pressurised?
I was particularly interested in “30 closed cub pickup”comment on the comparison vinegar / Evaporust/thermocure. Have other readers had a simular experience?

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:33 PM   #17
Chris Haynes

Instead of spending money for a filter I went cheap and put a piece of pantyhose in the top radiator hose. I removed and cleaned it daily and after a couple days there was no more debris being collected. This is after the cooling system was de-rusted with RUST911.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:41 PM   #18
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
Instead of spending money for a filter I went cheap and put a piece of pantyhose in the top radiator hose. I removed and cleaned it daily and after a couple days there was no more debris being collected. This is after the cooling system was de-rusted with RUST911.

Your quote Chris "speed costs money", to which I must respond. there are more lies told about the size of fish caught, the yield or crops and the speed of Model A's.
your comments on de rusting were interesting. Thankyou. gary

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:47 PM   #19
Curtis in MA

In a near vertical radiator hose, why doesn't the junk just roll back into the engine when you shut it off?
Curtis in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:10 PM   #20
Chris Haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in MA View Post
In a near vertical radiator hose, why doesn't the junk just roll back into the engine when you shut it off?
In my case it was stuck in the pantyhose.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote