Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-26-2019, 09:59 PM   #1
Paul Bjarnason

Default Quiet Ride Sound Deadening and Insulation

https://www.quietride.com/catalogpdf..._a_catalog.pdf

This is a pricey item but it looks to be very well done. Has anyone installed this on their ride and, if so, what did you think of it? Thanks.
Paul Bjarnason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:07 PM   #2
daren007

Default Re: Quiet Ride Sound Deadening and Insulation

Keep in mind, Someday someone may decide to remove this stuff. Wouldn't that be fun.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:13 PM   #3
daveymc29

I had a set they made up as their pattern from 29 deluxe delivery. Seemed great to me. Wish I felt I had time enough left to have finished that car. Had about $33K into it and traded it for Vermin, which I sold for 10 grand to a chap in Australia. Such things happen as the grim reaper sneaks up on us. But so far, so good. Their product is well made and I can't speak to price as mine was free for using my car while it was apart. I used some similar materials that I purchased from Amazon and made basically the same thing for my coupe before installing A/C. It works fine.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:36 PM   #4
holdover

I have done a few vehicles using the foil backed small air pocket insulation from Lowes and HD which costs 1/10th the price. You have to cut it to size. I used 3M spray adhesive to hold it in place. It would be somewhat of a problem if you ever wanted to remove it. It does make things quieter and reduces heat from the floor.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:42 PM   #5
midgetracer

I used a foil backed butyl product from Amazon on my Tudor and I really deadened the sound. For heat reduction, I will have to wait for warmer weather to see how well that worked.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:14 PM   #6
dennis lumbert

I used the complete quiet ride hit in my Tudor and added their firewall shield and my car is extremely quiet and noticeably cooler in summer.Its exspensive but I have never regretted it.I did not use the insulation under the carpet for the floor,just the aluminum heat shield glued to the bottom of the floor boards and painted flat black so it is not so noticeable.
dennis lumbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 03:00 PM   #7
30 Closed Cab PU

On one of the car shows on TV I saw something used similar, but much cheaper, Available at hardware stores and big box stores (Lowes, etc.). Foil on one side, with some padding with adhesive on it. Have to cut it yourself. Can not remember the name of it.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 03:42 PM   #8
Curtis in MA

Think it was Dynamat.
Curtis in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:21 PM   #9
CT Jack

Has anyone used 1/4" thick jute or something similar secured with heavy duty velcro strips? This allows for complete removal without using adhesives or sticky back foams. Gluing something to the floor boards doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
Jack
CT Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:56 PM   #10
holdover

"Has anyone used 1/4" thick jute or something similar" this works and was used on many older cars such as early mustangs.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 05:13 PM   #11
Synchro909

Ear plugs work well and are easily removed! There is no way to make a Phaeton quiet at 50+ mph.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:10 PM   #12
daveymc29

Syncro, Old age works well for me. I just turn the hearing aids off and the tinitus comes back and drowns out any car noise. Works well for family arguments and backseat drivers also.When the other side of the argument is burned out or the destination is in sight I turn them back on and viola! All is well in the world of noise.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:48 PM   #13
whirnot

I have used fatmat in several vehicles, and have been very happy with it. Thermal and nouse dampening. I just put it on the floorboards of my roadster.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 03:31 AM   #14
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
Syncro, Old age works well for me. I just turn the hearing aids off and the tinitus comes back and drowns out any car noise. Works well for family arguments and backseat drivers also.When the other side of the argument is burned out or the destination is in sight I turn them back on and viola! All is well in the world of noise.
Sometimes pretend the hearing aids are not working??
Old 01-28-2019, 08:37 AM   #15
30 Closed Cab PU

In the summer with the front window open, door windows open, does foil/batting sound deadening really help?

I can see it helping reducing cabin heating up from the engine, exhaust, and road.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:49 AM   #16
Bob Bidonde

This is an extract of an article I wrote on this topic.

Roofing Shingles to Reduce Noise
Rolled roofing starter strip with a sticky backing is heavy, it’s easily cut and readily available. Use a sharp razor knife to cut the roofing material into rectangles at least 3 inches wide, and long enough to span the body panels. Stick the shingle rectangles onto each body panel so that it crosses the body panel’s center. Add shingles to both cowl panels, all lower door panels, all body side and rear panels. The ceiling panels are too small and sharply curved to make noise, so these panels do not require shingles.

Duct Insulation to Reduce Noise & Heat
Frost King FV516 Duct Insulation by Thermwell Products Company is a wrapping material used to insulate heating, ventilation & air conditioning ducts, and it is also massive enough to reduce panel vibration. FV516 comes in rolls and it is available in the big box home goods stores such as Home Depot and Lowes. FV516 is a sandwich of foil and foam materials with an adhesive backing having an R Value of 3. One roll of FV516 is 12 inches wide, 15 feet long, 1/8th of an inch thick and it has a retail unit price of $18.77. Two rolls of FV516 should be sufficient for a Coupe, a Tudor, a Victoria and a truck cab. Three rolls will be necessary for a Fordor. Although the FV516 has an adhesive backing, a roll of aluminum foil duct tape comes in handy to cover seams and small gaps when installing the material in the car.
Using a scissors, cut the FV516 Insulation to completely cover the interior surfaces of every body and door panel except the firewall. Exclude the firewall because most of it is visible. Also cut pieces of insulation to cover the sheet metal ceiling panels alongside the roof opening. Avoid placing insulation material under the vinyl roofing because it may reflect enough heat to melt the vinyl. Cover seams and gaps with aluminum foil duct tape. Wherever possible, install the insulation to cover the sheet metal behind body wood parts.
Aluminum Sheet Metal Heat Shield
The exhaust system muffler is below the horizontal front wood floorboard, so it’s a good idea to do something about heat radiating from the muffler. There is a muffler heat shield available from Model A parts suppliers, but you can augment the shield to further reduce heat radiation through the floor. A simple solution is to cover the bottom of the floorboard on the passenger’s side with bare aluminum sheet metal you can buy from the big box home improvement stores. Get the thinnest 16 x 9 inch piece of sheet metal available, and attach it to the floor board with construction adhesive. Also use brads or staples along the perimeter of the sheet metal. Leave the sheet metal bare (unpainted) so it behaves as a reflector.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0960.jpg (61.8 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0969.jpg (97.3 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1459.jpg (31.9 KB, 114 views)
Old 01-28-2019, 12:27 PM   #17
redmodelt

I would stay away from just using jute. Any sweat, moisture or water getting into will just stay there. The jute that I have seen in doors and such has tar(?) in it. Also make sure everything is dry. Any moisture that gets trapped between it and metal, well you know what will happen.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:51 PM   #18
Paul Bjarnason

Thanks to all for the information and comments. Also, great article, Bob. Bj
Paul Bjarnason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:31 PM   #19
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
This is an extract of an article I wrote on this topic.
Aluminum Sheet Metal Heat Shield
The exhaust system muffler is below the horizontal front wood floorboard, so it’s a good idea to do something about heat radiating from the muffler. There is a muffler heat shield available from Model A parts suppliers, but you can augment the shield to further reduce heat radiation through the floor. A simple solution is to cover the bottom of the floorboard on the passenger’s side with bare aluminum sheet metal you can buy from the big box home improvement stores. Get the thinnest 16 x 9 inch piece of sheet metal available, and attach it to the floor board with construction adhesive. Also use brads or staples along the perimeter of the sheet metal. Leave the sheet metal bare (unpainted) so it behaves as a reflector.
Bob, what is the hole in your passenger side floor?
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:52 PM   #20
CarlG

I have the Quiet Ride Firewall Insulator, & their kit for the kick panels. I also have Dynamat in the doors, and RoadKill on the underside of the roof ('31 all steel Budd Cab). I intend on doing the remainder of the cab in RoadKill, just 'cause I can get it locally.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote