Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-13-2018, 08:18 AM   #21
77Birdman

Default Re: What strange comments or questions have you heard about your Model A

Great stories, at least people are talking about them good, bad or indifferent. Not an A, but I had a 1913 Rudge motorcycle. Funny how I got most of the same comments. A lot of people ask how fast will it go? My go to answer is not how fast it will go, but how well will it stop!
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:58 AM   #22
arnhemmer

Default Re: What strange comments or questions have you heard about your Model A

A fellow in a brand new top of the line Chevy pick up pulled up at the gas pump, took one look at my 1930 Tudor and said that it would outlast his pick up. I had to remind him that it already has.
arnhemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:12 AM   #23
eagle

I have a 29 Fordor. The Fordors had the smooth cowl in 29, where the Tudors and such didn't. I've had several people just INSIST that my Fordor is a 30-31 because of the cowl. One guy stopped me as I was IN a parade to inform me that I had the wrong year on the parade placcard. Got angry and told me I didn't know what I was talking about when I tried to give him an answer. And then the most frequent is the old lady that looks at the car admiringly, then says "My dad had a car just exactly like this one...except it was a Chevy"!
Old 12-13-2018, 11:23 AM   #24
DHZIEMAN

Had a fellow, pull in next to me at the grocery store, and he wanted to drive my 1930! I politely declined, and waited for him to go into the store!
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:38 AM   #25
rosenkranswa

Where's the radio? Where's the Air Conditioner? and the best one from one of my young students, you can't afford anything newer?

'19 T Speedster
'26 T Touring
'29 A Roadster
'30 AA Stakebed
'30 A Pickup
'30 A Town Sedan
'31 A Station Wagon
'38 Columbia Girls bike (WWII)
'40 Elgin Boys bike (WWII)
'42 Super Deluxe Tudor
'42 Willys MB Jeep
'43 Willys MBT Trailer
'43 M3A4 Hand Cart
'43 Harley Davidson 42WLA with sidecar
rosenkranswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:00 PM   #26
GPierce

“Weren’t all of them originally black”?
GPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:03 PM   #27
amodel25

I was filling up my '31 Town Sedan with gas one day and an older gentleman came up to the car, looking it over inside and out, front to back. Throughout the inspection, he never said a word. Finally, he turned to me and said "the first piece of a** I ever got was in the back seat of a 4 door Model A Ford and I'll never forget it". With that, he turned and walked away never saying another word.
amodel25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:19 PM   #28
ronn

somebody on this site wtd to buy my huckster...........

told me it looked like a clown car because the wheels were bright blue.

refused to sell it to him. I was offended. LOL
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:22 PM   #29
ryanheacox

My favorite is at a show when someone looks at the car and reads the sign (spells out exactly what the car is), turns to someone else and says "That's a Model T Ford"
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:40 PM   #30
heneste

I had a car pull up beside me at a stoplight when the young lady inside asked if it was an automatic.
heneste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:53 PM   #31
TPR1930

Is that the car they used in "The Great Gatsby" movie?
TPR1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 02:08 PM   #32
Ernie Vitucci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Shouldn't it be painted black!
That Flatbed Truck is still parked on a side street in Winslow, Arizona, just around the corner from the La Posada Hotel! Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 03:19 PM   #33
JOHN CT

As I’m fueling it up at the gas station. The famous question to me is. Does it run on gas? Then the next question is that the gas tank? You gotta laugh cuz I do then I explain things about the A. I also ask them if they want to sit in it. People do and it just makes their day. You never know maybe they just might buy one some day.
JOHN CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 03:27 PM   #34
Curtis in MA

I one time let a guy get in and try to start it, he didn't have a clue.
I had let my father-in-law start it. He had had a roadster. Did everything from memory and correctly!
Curtis in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 05:55 PM   #35
Synchro909

I was filling up one day at a staion not far from a motor race track. Two guys with motor cycles on trailers were also getting fuel. It was clear they were going to the race track. I asked one of them "How much power?" as I nodded towards the bikes. "180 Horsepower" was the answer. I laughed and pointed to the Model A and said "40!". He turned to his mate and said "Hey, Dave - 40 Horsepower!" and laughed, I said "It's been 40 HP for 90 years - yours will only be 180 till the end of the next race." He said"With any luck". We laughed and left as friends.
I wonder if he finished the next race.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:30 PM   #36
barry022

Can you still get parts for it?
barry022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:38 PM   #37
harleynut

Hi Arnold, Yep, I got that question. Much be more common than I thought. I had an elderly lady at a car cruise ask me if I was the original owner. She was looking at my 2door 1928 model A at the time. I told her I'm old but not that old. I had friends with me at the time, they all got a kick out of that.
harleynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:36 AM   #38
marty in Ohio

Lots of people see my '30 town sedan and say that's a Bonnie and Clyde car. I usually explain that if they drove a Model A they would have been caught way before they were. Clyde liked to steal the flat head V8 to outrun the law. My "A" wouldn't have gotten them very far.
Marty
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:54 AM   #39
Patrick L.

Yep, had many comments over the years, most good. One fella said, like others, his family had a Model T just like it. He got mad and argumentative insisting it was a T.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:11 AM   #40
russcochiolo

"Why do so many of these cars have birds in front?" Gives me an opening.
russcochiolo is offline   Reply With Quote