Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

View Poll Results: Ifno one can ever see it
Ford original always (I know it's there) 17 22.08%
What ever works if it isn't visible 19 24.68%
Original if reasonable (...say double) cost 41 53.25%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2016, 05:48 PM   #21
stangblue

Default Re: Where it can't be seen....

Yeah original only once! But the real effort is in to make them like original again. And to appreciate the engineering that went into them at the time they were manufactured. There was a 3 window 34 that was bought recently and posted here that I give a lot of credence too. Surviving all those years without being adulterated and replacing the original equipment ( I did see steel heads though or where they painted?). Those time capsules in the Early V-8 club have the Rouge Division is where I feel the real rubber hits the road for originality. My 02.

Last edited by stangblue; 10-28-2016 at 05:55 PM.
stangblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:41 PM   #22
JM 35 Sedan

I can usually find a few minutes to spend admiring a fully restored, or even an over restored, high point show car, or I could just quickly walk right past them to spend all the time I can looking at a car like that amazing, mostly original, '34 3w Coupe that Digger's Son found for him near DC. That's the type of car I really appreciate seeing and always hope to find, and then just make it a safe and reliable driver to enjoy. To each his own I guess.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 10-28-2016 at 08:35 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:30 PM   #23
jim1932

ok here is what made me ask. Cleaned up an oil pump for a diamond block I am getting rebuilt for my model B. the bottom bolt heads were pretty eaten up. I went to the hardware store to replace. all they had were allen head bolts in that size and thread. This is inside the motor covered in oil....and I felt bad using the allen heads. (too lazy to shop around).
Old 10-30-2016, 07:51 PM   #24
jim1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Okay, but how do you know he doesn't enjoy his car as much as you enjoy yours?

I rarely, if ever, drive any of my cars. Still, the personal reward I obtain from restoring them is priceless to me.
I always said there are people who enjoy working on the cars and people who enjoy owning them..... I estimate about 70% are both. leave 30% who only like one ore the other
Old 11-01-2016, 06:22 PM   #25
kirkf

I really appreciate those who can go the extra mile to do a completely original restoration of a vehicle. It's the highest art form of vehicle historians.

That being said, when you look at something like my 1950 F47 truck project, it would be a near impossibility to restore it to original. Quite frankly the only people on planet earth who know how that truck came off the factory line are six feet under.
After months of research and checking every source possible, including Ford heritage Canada I can't even tell you what the original engine color was. Quite simply nobody actually knows. There are quite a few other items that appear to be particular to whatever the assembly line felt like doing that day.

On another note, I look at engine internals. I really can't see using inferior NOS gasket sets, fuel pump pieces that aren't ethanol compliant, etc.

What I'm trying to achieve is a drivable restoration.
And since literally every mechanical piece of my truck is junk, that's going to require some compromises.

Kirk
kirkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:29 AM   #26
39portlander

I love the old original and restored cars. The time and talent spent on any project is admirable. I did'nt vote here, I'm waiting for next Tuesday

With all due respect a restored car or truck is not for me however, a resurrected truck with a Flathead by Walt is worth more than any points I could get on some pretty green lawn.

Cars/trucks come and go, friendships last a lifetime.
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:57 AM   #27
Kurt in NJ

When I look at the show cars I like to look in the "hidden" places to see which cars are totally restored---I look inside the doors with a light, very few cars are totally restored to where the inside of the doors look the same as the outside
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:25 AM   #28
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
When I look at the show cars I like to look in the "hidden" places to see which cars are totally restored---I look inside the doors with a light, very few cars are totally restored to where the inside of the doors look the same as the outside
I welcome you to look inside any area of my restoration projects
Old 11-02-2016, 09:11 AM   #29
trainguy

In my opinion driving the cars is the fun of ownership!I certainly admire the well restored cars and love the well preserved original.,but, it is difficult to drive and enjoy either. Driving a good original car,will soon destroy the originality,which is never right.Driving a high quality restored car results in a similar result. My choice is a cosmeticly restored car with good mechanicals ,safe to drive and pleasing to the eye.
trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:56 AM   #30
Vic Piano

I'll jump into the deep end here... I enjoy looking at 'over restored' cars as much as anybody, and I appreciate all the time and work that goes into such projects. As for me, I enjoy driving my antique vehicles, Flatheads and otherwise. I build my cars/trucks to suit my taste, I love the look and sound of a dressed up Flathead, and the ride and handling improvement provided by radial tires, etc. My goal is to have dependable (I know that is a relative term) vehicles to take on extended road trips, etc. My primary purpose (is not now nor has it ever been to win trophies at car shows) although, I do have several trophy's awarded by the EFV8 Club, for two of my Flatheads. My idea of getting a trophy is not having to call Triple A for a flatbed and a ride home...
Old 11-02-2016, 10:33 AM   #31
drolston

I know my coupe has a little Bondo and some shade-tree repairs, but that works with my goal of "look cool, run great" I will never win a medal at a car show, but because I can drive it every day without worrying about causing an imperfection, I get lots of honks and thumbs up along the way, and never fail to draw admirers in the Walmart parking lot. That said, I have great respect for those that pursue perfection in car restoration, and follow that in my other hobby, antique fire arms.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:05 AM   #32
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by drolston View Post
my other hobby, antique fire arms.
You'll shoot your eye out
Old 11-02-2016, 11:43 AM   #33
deuce_roadster

I have only 1 car that I restored to be judged. I only did that for the challenge in trying to get everything correct as I could with the currently available knowledge as to what truly is correct. Glad I did it once. ( The Dearborn award is in some drawer ) All the rest of my early Ford cars while having flatheads are NOT for the concourse and get driven often. The way people drive now days has me feeling less enthusiastic about getting out there with my older cars even though I live in a rural area.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:36 PM   #34
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
I have only 1 car that I restored to be judged. I only did that for the challenge in trying to get everything correct as I could with the currently available knowledge as to what truly is correct. Glad I did it once. ( The Dearborn award is in some drawer ) All the rest of my early Ford cars while having flatheads are NOT for the concourse and get driven often. The way people drive now days has me feeling less enthusiastic about getting out there with my older cars even though I live in a rural area.
Well said!
Like you, each car I restore is primarily for the challenge of seeing just how well I can do. I have spent years researching minute details. A '39 or '40 coupe or convertible I can almost guarantee a 1000 point restoration.
My latest project, a pick up truck is proving to be a bit of a challenge and as such quite rewarding as I am learning so much.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:48 PM   #35
DavidG

Not if they have adjustable lifters. Come on Mike, you and I know there is no such thing as a 1000 point restoration, just a shortage of qualified judges.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:58 PM   #36
v8fordman

Amen to the shortage of qualified judges.
v8fordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:09 AM   #37
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1932 View Post
ok here is what made me ask. Cleaned up an oil pump for a diamond block I am getting rebuilt for my model B. the bottom bolt heads were pretty eaten up. I went to the hardware store to replace. all they had were allen head bolts in that size and thread. This is inside the motor covered in oil....and I felt bad using the allen heads. (too lazy to shop around).
Now that is something we can all relate to! No rat rods in here! Those allen head bolts will haunt your dreams till you open it up and replace them!

My '38 has some unique screws to mount the hood sides. I lost one in the driveway one day, and panicked like I'd lost my wallet. That screw had cost me a full range of emotions by the time I found it two days later.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:10 AM   #38
fotfod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Not if they have adjustable lifters. Come on Mike, you and I know there is no such thing as a 1000 point restoration, just a shortage of qualified judges.
i should hope not. sound deadner would look awful on the outside of the door but i have seen worse. lol
fotfod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 06:33 AM   #39
jim1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Now that is something we can all relate to! No rat rods in here! Those allen head bolts will haunt your dreams till you open it up and replace them!
Actually not.... this motor has enlarged intake valves, a reground cam and a lightened flywheel with a v-8 clutch...all of which no one will ever see.....

That said, I have not decided if I put it in my almost all original Tudor, or save it for another car (it's a long story, was building the motor before I bought my car back).
Old 11-03-2016, 07:25 AM   #40
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
I agree with you 100%. And as such never argue when I get what I feel is an incorrect deduction. I know my cars, like yours, are way "over restored".

I have posted before right here on the Barn that once a car is "restored" it can't simply by definition be "perfect".
Speaking of qualified judges... just when might we expect the Early Ford V8 Club to train judges?