Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-12-2020, 02:45 PM   #1
BorisK

Default 1955 F100 Dana 45? Rear axle pinion seal

I wanted to replace the universal joints on the drive shaft. Probably pulled too much apart. I removed the retainer nut from the pinion that secures the pinion to the universal joint. It looks like I've been leaking gear oil from the pinion seal so I wanted to take a look. Here are my questions:

It looks like I have a Dana 45 axle with a 3.92 gear ratio, based on the markings on the axle housing. (See pictures) Do I really have a Dan/Spicer 45 axle? Haven't found any information on it. Does anyone have an exploded parts diagram for a Dana 45?

Can quite figure out how to replace the pinion seal. In the picture I attached it shows a channel on the universal joint flange that attaches to the pinion. I dug out packing from this channel. Is that the pinion seal? Do I just need to install rope packing in that channel?

Any help would be appreciated.

Pinion Axle housing.jpg

Pinion to U-Joint.jpg

Axle Tag.jpg

Rear Axle Housing.jpg
BorisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 03:16 PM   #2
Dobie Gillis

Default Re: 1955 F100 Dana 45? Rear axle pinion seal

Here ya go:

https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_m...cury-only.html

It says Mercury only but all '55/'56 Mercs had the Dana 45, same as your F100. There is damned little info about the 45, but it's basically a beefed up 44. Most 44 internal parts will work with some creative shimming. Chebby, GMC and others used them in the same time period. I have a '55 Merc and replaced the seal (well, a shop did it). If you don't have a service manual you should get one, it has a very good description of the axle and service procedures complete with drawings.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:05 PM   #3
rotorwrench

Default Re: 1955 F100 Dana 45? Rear axle pinion seal

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
The F100 used the Dana 44. The Dana 45 has a larger housing and axles. It was a Mercury thing only as far as I know and it was only the two years before the 9-inch came out in 1957. If you clean the crud off of the rear right side below the little bulls eye where the axle tube reinforcement is, there should be a little casting mark with "44" on there. Many times it is covered with crud.

You have to measure the seal diameter you have so as to get the correct one. There were three different diameters over the years and it has to mate up with the slip ring properly. The drive yoke can just be reinstalled and torqued since these old units didn't use a crush sleeve. They used spacer shims to get the preload on the Timken tapered bearings for the pinion shaft. Just make sure it has no shake or in and out movement after it's torqued up or there will be problems with the bearings sooner than later.

The tag looks like 45/11 which would be the 4.09:1 ratio set. The axles should be 19-spline types. They did use what they called a gasket with an oil slinger and they also has a dust seal or deflector but there should be leather seal material in the large seal housing. It looks like it's long gone.The dust seal or deflector was likely a leather washer with a U-shape to it. These were Mercury part numbers.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/8M-4859-For...75.c1#viTabs_0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1949-1957-F...EAAOSwlx9ffVeG

Last edited by rotorwrench; 10-12-2020 at 06:34 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote