Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-28-2021, 01:37 AM   #41
Fortunateson

Default Re: Lathe set up help for my shop

I don’t have a lathe but my son has two, a old Sears(?) and a Harrison which he calls George made in Yorkshire along with two table top mills, some fancy grinding machine, a surface grinder, and a multi head (I think that’s what it is) mill.

He has his ticket for Mechatronics and is currently halfway through his Red Seal program the computer side of marching.

So I have access to all of that but don’t know how to use it. It’s faster for him to make me something than to have him teach me but one day I’d like to learn the basics.
Fortunateson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 06:44 AM   #42
rockfla

Thanks for all the help and suggestions on my post. Here is my lathe, finally got it set up and a new quick change tool post installed. Next on the list is a 4 jaw chuck and a collet set. My good friend is an old time "machinist" (in the true sense of the work, not a cnc button pusher) and he has been gifting me some mic's and tool bits and showing me how to use it more than what I already know so off and running. Thanks again for all the encouragement and help!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lathe1.jpg (102.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg lathetoolpost1.jpg (85.7 KB, 27 views)
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-28-2021, 10:49 AM   #43
19Fordy

rockfla: CONGRATULATIONS on getting your lathe up and running. You are indeed Blessed to have nearby friends who are "Lathe Literate" and can help you. There are very few times that you will ever need to use a collet so save your $$ for other goodies. Wish I lived closer as it's great to have friends like you who are really hands on. All the best. JIM

Keep your eyes open for a GEOMETRIC DIE and thread chasers that will allow you to cut excellent threads. You can even control the Class of Fit. Just insert it in your tail stock and your are on you way to easily cutting perfect threads every time. These dies are expensive but, you might be able to find some cheaper form a retired machinist or an industrial tool supplier or Ebay. I used to have two in my high school metal shop before it was closed down. They are the "cats meow". They look like this:
https://www.google.com/search?q=geom...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Last edited by 19Fordy; 10-28-2021 at 10:56 AM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 11:06 AM   #44
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
rockfla: CONGRATULATIONS on getting your lathe up and running. You are indeed Blessed to have nearby friends who are "Lathe Literate" and can help you. There are very few times that you will ever need to use a collet so save your $$ for other goodies. Wish I lived closer as it's great to have friends like you who are really hands on. All the best. JIM

Keep your eyes open for a GEOMETRIC DIE and thread chasers that will allow you to cut excellent threads. You can even control the Class of Fit. Just insert it in your tail stock and your are on you way to easily cutting perfect threads every time. These dies are expensive but, you might be able to find some cheaper form a retired machinist or an industrial tool supplier or Ebay. I used to have two in my high school metal shop before it was closed down. They are the "cats meow". They look like this:
https://www.google.com/search?q=geom...hrome&ie=UTF-8
I will keep my eyes open, those look sort of like the Rigid "hogs head" pipe threading heads and dies ONLY with the morris taper shaft on it!!!
BY the way, after I get a Mill.....Speaking of hands on.......My focus will be setting up a paint booth SO I can start doing my own paint work. AFTER re-doing home renovation work from hiring "professionals" and having to fix their mistakes AND having to do the same with antique cars.....I told my wife "IF I am going to spend my hard earned money and be dissatisfied with crappy work.....I can do that myself and I can be mad at myself and still have "most" of my hard earned money!!" SO there you go!!!!

Last edited by rockfla; 10-28-2021 at 11:11 AM.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 11:47 AM   #45
Mart

Agree with the collets. Not necessary for a beginner.
To be honest, it all depends on what jobs you will want to do. It might be best to wait until you want to do a particular job, then if you don't have the tooling get it to do that job.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote