Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-18-2020, 10:56 AM   #21
Krylon32

Default Re: Winch Battery-Deep cycle vs Reg.?

For many years when I was on the road as a chassis vendor I had a 5th wheel trailer with a double deck for hauling 3 chassis. I had a Dutton Lainson 12 volt 5000lb winch which I powered with a regular Red top Optima battery. I did 8-9 shows a year and would put the battery on an Optima charger in the winter and the battery would keep a charge for the season. The battery lasted 5-6 years with regular maintenance.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:10 AM   #22
Fordestes

If the optima requires a trickle charge and not a very high rate of charge, how does this stack up against a normal charging system with a high output alternator and not cause damage to the battery?
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:20 AM   #23
flatheadmurre

If you donīt use the winch a lot...batteries go bad or need constant maintenance.
I got tired of it and made cables long enough to hook up to the towcars battery with quick connectors from a forklift battery.
Should probably work with a real long set of jumper cables to...
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:57 AM   #24
philipswanson

Regular car batteries are usually warranted for 36 to 48 months. Deep cycle batteries are usually only warranted for 1 year because manufactures believe they will be treated much harsher. When possible, I would go for the regular battery. Battery Tenders will increase life.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 05:57 PM   #25
Yoyodyne

Empirical evidence - I bought a big deep cycle group 27 for in my car trailer for all the reasons blucar listed. It failed in 2 years, I bought 2 more, they both failed in 2 years each. So I said screwit and bought a regular group 24. It lasted 4+ years, as did the next one. I'd take the used battery out of one of your cars and use that and keep it on a tender when not being used, and put a new one in the car for 3 years or so, then use it for the jumper/winch battery.

BTW, the new little lithium Ion jumper units are really awesome to use, and you can charge it in your car from the cigarette lighter or on a USB cable.
Yoyodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:19 AM   #26
koates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordestes View Post
If the optima requires a trickle charge and not a very high rate of charge, how does this stack up against a normal charging system with a high output alternator and not cause damage to the battery?
Don't know where you got this information from but it is not correct. Alternator s have a built in voltage regulator and will charge any automotive battery including an optima at the correct voltage and current output depending on the state of charge of the battery or loads that are turned on in the vehicle. Optima batteries are lead acid batteries and really no different to normal lead acid batteries in operation apart from their construction. When charging batteries with a battery charger especially if it is an unregulated charger then it is a good idea to keep the amps at a low setting like 3 amps or less. Optima batteries don't need to be on a trickle charger all the time as has been suggested by some people. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote