Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-30-2016, 07:44 PM   #1
cas3

Default v8 combine engine?

hi, i'm looking at a v8 motor that has the big side air cleaner, a tall breather pipe at the fuel pump, and it seems the manifold is higher at the carb base. i know of the model a combine engines, but never heard of a v8. sorry no pics, i dont own it. is there such an animal? thanks, skip
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:18 PM   #2
deuce_roadster

Default Re: v8 combine engine?

Sounds like a 32-34 v8 with heavy duty air cleaner. If the carb is a single barrel it is a 32 or 33.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:23 PM   #3
cas3

it does not have an early intake manifold, its iron, and water pumps in the iron heads, 35-36 i guess, but the breather pipe is about 3 feet high. irrigation motor?
Old 12-31-2016, 05:37 PM   #4
rotorwrench

Most of the early combines had 4 or 6 cylinder industrial engines from various manufacturers. I would be curious about the manufacturer of the combine. My Pop's first Massey Ferguson 410 had a V8 but it was a lot newer than engines from the flathead era. His first combine was tractor drawn manufactured by Baldwin/Gleaner. After that he had a Massey Harris 27 but both had inline engines. The Massey 20 & 21 models were early enough be in the flathead years but I don't know what they had in them. Ford combines were generally made by other manufacturers like Oliver & Claas but I don't think they go back far enough to have had a flathead V8.

PS: Ford made industrial engines that were used by manufacturers of power generators, welding machines, air compressors, and water pumpers just to name a few.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 12-31-2016 at 06:24 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:05 PM   #5
1952henry

Most Massey Harris combines had Chrysler inline flathead sixes. The later Massey ferguson 410 and 510s had Chevy inline sixes and v8s. No combine that I know of had a ford bent 8
Old 12-31-2016, 11:53 PM   #6
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Most of the early combines had 4 or 6 cylinder industrial engines from various manufacturers. I would be curious about the manufacturer of the combine. My Pop's first Massey Ferguson 410 had a V8 but it was a lot newer than engines from the flathead era.
410 Massey had the Chevy six. 510 had the GM 327, later 350 V8.
And no, I have never heard of a flathead V8 in any combine. Majority were the Chrysler flathead six.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:02 AM   #7
Newc

Hi all; Just for fun we have a Schramm air compressor powered by a 337 Lincoln flatty and a logging drag line winch with a 59ab. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:09 AM   #8
skidmarks

I had a irrigation pump made in the same area in PA were Schramm is from. It was flathead ford powered. It had a velocity type governor under the carburetor. Coolest part of it was the stewart warner tach drive on the crankshaft snout.
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:33 AM   #9
37 Coupe

Mayby Military WWII engine?
Old 01-01-2017, 10:22 AM   #10
blucar

I read an article several years ago about industrial engines, can't recall the publication.
The article compared the various engine brands that were commonly used in forklifts, combines, compressors, boats, etc. It was very interesting that the vast majority of the industrial engines were Chrysler sixes.
This could lead a person to believe that Chrysler made an excellent engine. Not so, Chrysler would supply engines on a consignment basis, the engines did not have to be paid for until the finished machine was sold.. Good old thrifty Henry Ford demanded payment when the engines left the Ford factory..
Compressors are the one exception, one bank was the engine, the other bank was the compressor. I have an old Ford compressor engine, the compressor side is completely different from the engine side..
Old 01-01-2017, 10:59 AM   #11
rotorwrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post
And no, I have never heard of a flathead V8 in any combine. Majority were the Chrysler flathead six.
My Pop had a 510 with the 350 Chevy V8. My memory could be playing tricks on me on the 410 but it may have had an old Chevy 292 6-cylinder now that I think of it. We had MH/MF 90 and super 92s with the Chrysler 6. The 410 & 510 would cut a lot more wheat & milo faster but ever time they broke down the old 90 series machines would catch back up. Those old 90 series would just keep chugging along with little or no trouble for a longer time than the later ones as long as you serviced them daily and kept the sickle bar in good shape. I remember changing bearings and concave bars. It's a wonder we didn't burn up the wheat fields using a torch to remove seized up bearings but we would get as far away from the field as we could to do the work. Harvest was always a good time even if it was a lot of work in an uncomfortable environment. We always knew where the money came from.

After I left the farm, Pop upgraded to bigger and better machines. He even had air conditioning and radios which was something I never got to experience. The damn radio would have just made it so you couldn't hear it if something was going south anyway so it's just as well.

Those real early MH machines like the model 20 had Continental engines.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:35 AM   #12
Pilot31135

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
I read an article several years ago about industrial engines, can't recall the publication.
The article compared the various engine brands that were commonly used in forklifts, combines, compressors, boats, etc. It was very interesting that the vast majority of the industrial engines were Chrysler sixes.
This could lead a person to believe that Chrysler made an excellent engine. Not so, Chrysler would supply engines on a consignment basis, the engines did not have to be paid for until the finished machine was sold.. Good old thrifty Henry Ford demanded payment when the engines left the Ford factory..
Compressors are the one exception, one bank was the engine, the other bank was the compressor. I have an old Ford compressor engine, the compressor side is completely different from the engine side..
Here is a Ford 337 flathead in a pump??
Pilot31135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:38 AM   #13
Pilot31135

Oops picture didn't load...
Old 04-02-2017, 11:47 AM   #14
cas3

mr pilot, there has been some issues about posting pics here recently, check the thread, try again later. now, just last week another guy told me he has an 8ba with a cast hand clutch on the back, that was a water pump
Old 04-02-2017, 06:11 PM   #15
rotorwrench

It seems like the compressors used two cylinders on one side and two on the other so that the engine would still have even power overlap. It's been a while since I looked at a Schramm compressor set up.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:02 PM   #16
40 Deluxe

A common engine on pull type combines such as Case was the air cooled Wisconsin V4. They ran a mag and were hand cranked only. Didn't dare shut it off hot. Remember Dad cranking and cranking (and cussing). Couldn't wait for it to cool down, had to keep going. Later had an Oliver 535 with the 265 Chrysler flathead six. Ran a good many years doing two farms. The next bigger model had 318 Chrysler V8's with dual straight pipes-neat sound! Early Dearborn (Ford) combines used the 8N tractor engine.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:09 PM   #17
rotorwrench

A lot of hay bailers had Wisconsin engines too back when PTO drives on tractors were less common.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:38 PM   #18
Pilot31135

Let me try again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0516.jpg (55.8 KB, 46 views)
Old 04-03-2017, 07:05 PM   #19
1952henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post
My dads 510 had the 327 with two straight pipes along the grain tank. Neat sound when she barked l
Old 04-03-2017, 10:54 PM   #20
nebrfox

My dad had a Gleaner combine witha 12 ft. grain head in the late forties that had a model A 4cyl engine. It was under powered so he put a Allis Chalmers tractor engine in it. Biggest combine around at the time until the self propelled combines started a new era on the farm. Nebrfox
nebrfox is offline   Reply With Quote