Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-26-2020, 02:14 PM   #1
JOHN CT

Default Radial sway

I had a set of Firestones on my 31 Tudor 450/500 19s. They were just worn out. So this year I did my research and decided to purchase 5 new 450/500 19s American classics radials. With the old tires the car handled great ! It stopped it didn’t pull and it didn’t sway at all. Now it’s like a different car. After I installed the tires I did a front end alignment and checked for any type of play. The king pins about 2 ths play that’s it. I set the tire pressure to 30lbs. Off for a test drive Now there’s a sway that is Terrible. I changed the tire pressure to 45lbs with no improvement. I can shake the car and you can see the side walls flexing the car ran fine before the tire change

Has anyone else have this problem?
JOHN CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:29 PM   #2
loubob

Default Re: Radial sway

Have you called the place where you bought them. Tell them about your problem and that you want them replaced or a total refund.

Buy Coker radials. They are excellent!!!!! Same about their service.
loubob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:32 PM   #3
Synchro909

Where are these poor tyres made?
Old 09-26-2020, 07:08 PM   #4
GRutter

I just purchased a set of those same tires from Coker. I'm running 50 lb in them.

As for sidewall bulge, its the nature of radial tires, whereas the tires you replaced were bias ply and the sidewall construction was designed differently.

The tires I replaced were Denmans from 1989. I sure feel safer now as far as knowing that I'm not driving around on 31 year old tires.

As for handling and some sway.. yes there is a difference. Modern tires are designed as part of the suspension and handling characteristics of a car. Bias ply tires were stiff by comparison, and the ride characteristics were determined more by the vehicle suspension. If you have significant sway, you might want to look at the condition of your springs and shocks... and bump up the air pressure slightly.
GRutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:17 PM   #5
tomscott

jOHN
I Bought a set of tires like yours this spring and have put 2000 miles on them.I run 35lbs of air. I also put 4 oz of beads in each tube. My tudor rides and handles very well ! I did set the toe-in to 1/16 inch. Do not see any tire wear yet. Very pleased with the tires
tomscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:43 PM   #6
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

I had a terrible yaw problem on my heavy town sedan. It was unsafe. I put a friends firestones on the rear and that fixed it. I then bought 4 Firestone’s and that fixed it.
A Tudor is a light car and if you are getting big time yaw, it has to be the tires. Try 50 psi, maybe higher. When you make a steering input, and then a correction, you go off the road, or into traffic. Your quail is moving from side to side. No good. Be careful.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:45 PM   #7
Aretino

Makes one reconsider the radial upgrade.
Aretino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:27 PM   #8
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRutter View Post
If you have significant sway, you might want to look at the condition of your springs and shocks... and bump up the air pressure slightly.
I had a lot of sway in my Town Sedan, even after installing a Panhard Bar on the rear. I thought it was because of the weight and shape of the car.

But while installing a Mitchell O/D I found a broken shackle that had obviously been in pieces for a while. I could not tell it was broken until I tried to take it off. My sway is now gone after replacing my shackles and bushings, front and rear. You might make a quick check of your shackles.

FYI, don't buy the 'off shore' shackles. Appears this is a 'known' problem? http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/brokenshackles.htm

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 09-26-2020 at 10:35 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:28 PM   #9
1930-Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aretino View Post
Makes one reconsider the radial upgrade.
Its odd to see the Model A so unhappy on radials. Unexpected.

When I changed my 1953 Ford (with its prehistoric King Pin type suspension) from bias-ply to radials, I thought my '53 Ford had turned into a '73 Lincoln. Amazing ride.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:34 PM   #10
updraught

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Where are these poor tyres made?

"Designed to fit 1930 and 1931 Ford Model A cars and trucks, as well as other early 1930's vehicles, the new American Classic Model A+ Bias Look Radial offers the vintage look of a bias ply tire with the ride quality and safety of a modern radial tire. The 475/500R19 Whitewall Radial tire is a direct replacement for your bias ply tires, and makes a huge difference in drivability and handling. The steel belted radial is made in the USA, and offers the authentic look of a smooth black sidewall."

I guess if it was an Aussie Classic it would be made in Thailand.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:24 PM   #11
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
"Designed to fit 1930 and 1931 Ford Model A cars and trucks, as well as other early 1930's vehicles, the new American Classic Model A+ Bias Look Radial offers the vintage look of a bias ply tire with the ride quality and safety of a modern radial tire. The 475/500R19 Whitewall Radial tire is a direct replacement for your bias ply tires, and makes a huge difference in drivability and handling. The steel belted radial is made in the USA, and offers the authentic look of a smooth black sidewall."

I guess if it was an Aussie Classic it would be made in Thailand.
Yup, it probably would but would they be any worse than what we are hearing about these tyres?

Last edited by Synchro909; 09-26-2020 at 10:36 PM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:27 PM   #12
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
I had a lot of sway in my Town Sedan, even after installing a Panhard Bar on the rear. I thought it was because of the weight and shape of the car.

But while installing a Mitchell O/D I found a broken shackle that had obviously been in pieces for a while. I could not tell it was broken until I tried to take it off. My sway is now gone after replacing my shackles and bushings, front and rear. You might make a quick check of your shackles.

FYI, don't buy the 'off shore' shackles. Appears this is a 'known' problem? http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/brokenshackles.htm
I had a set or rear shackles do exactly that. They even looked the same. Maybe we both had faulty shackles from the same supplier. They certainly made for interesting handling while towing!
Old 09-26-2020, 10:45 PM   #13
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
I had a set or rear shackles do exactly that. They even looked the same. Maybe we both had faulty shackles from the same supplier. They certainly made for interesting handling while towing!
I can imagine!!
Old 09-27-2020, 05:09 AM   #14
JOHN CT

Thanks for the responses. I’ll be checking the shackles. I want to check everything that I can before I call the supplier.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:36 AM   #15
TerryO

Of all the replies to previous threads about the Coker radials I have read this is the first negative thread I have seen. I have had a new set for about 6 months waiting to be mounted so I can't say one way or the other, but I hope to get them mounted in the next week or so before I go on a 3 day tour. Check out the other threads on radials.

TOB
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:45 AM   #16
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN CT View Post
Thanks for the responses. I’ll be checking the shackles. I want to check everything that I can before I call the supplier.
John, easy check for the shackles. Put a wrench on the shackle nut and turn. If the nut turns with the cotter pin still in, you got issues.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:30 PM   #17
J Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob View Post
Have you called the place where you bought them. Tell them about your problem and that you want them replaced or a total refund.

Buy Coker radials. They are excellent!!!!! Same about their service.
Your car was designed to ride on bias ply tires. It is not the fault or responsibility of the tire seller how your car handles unless there are defects. or the store touted better handling for your car. Returning things because they don't rise to your expectations is a wrong attitude.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:44 PM   #18
JOHN CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
John, easy check for the shackles. Put a wrench on the shackle nut and turn. If the nut turns with the cotter pin still in, you got issues.
I just tried what you said to do. I put a wrench on the nuts and they were hand tight ,but the cotter pin‘s are staying in place when I turn The nut. I removed the Cotter pins and got a few turns on the nut. The only problem I see is the top spring shackle is kind of dry. not enough to cause the sway. While I was under the car it will be stupid if I didn’t check other things out. Now I found the LR backing plate are not very tight :eek wow !! Tomorrow I’m removing the LR drum !! So hopefully between the Spring shackles being a little loose in the rear backing plate being a little loose can solve my problems
I’ll report back when I tighten things up

And I’m glad I got under the A to check things. Having a backing plate fall off while driving can get very ugly!!

Last edited by JOHN CT; 09-27-2020 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:59 PM   #19
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN CT View Post
I just tried what you said to do. I put a wrench on the nuts and they were hand tight ,but the cotter pin‘s are staying in place when I turn The nut. I removed the Cotter pins and got a few turns on the nut. The only problem I see is the top spring shackle is kind of dry. not enough to cause the sway. While I was under the car it will be stupid if I didn’t check other things out. Now I found the LR backing plate are not very tight :eek wow !! Tomorrow I’m removing the LR drum !! So hopefully between the Spring shackles being a little loose in the rear backing plate being a little loose can solve my problems
I’ll report back when I tighten things up

And I’m glad I got under the A to check things. Having a backing plate fall off while driving can get very ugly!!
Don't get the shackle nuts so tight that it binds on the spring and hanger. I usually tighten mine snug and then back them off a little. You may have been OK.

Good find on the backing plate.
Old 09-27-2020, 01:54 PM   #20
Ak Sourdough

Completely pleased with the 21" Coker American Classic radials on my 29 Tudor. Only logged about 40 miles so far, but zero complaints.

Heavy tire with thick stiff sidewalls compared to the rubber rags (bias ply tires) I took off. Goes right where I point it with no wander or sway that I can detect. 35 psi. A little stiff if anything, might try less air in mine.