Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-22-2021, 09:35 AM   #1
Ramblin Reck

Default Repairing exsitsting windows to working condition on 1939 Convertible

Ford 1939 Dash View also.jpg

Ford 1939 Dash View.jpg

I need to fix my windows so that they operate properly. Glass is till in there Probably going to need new regulators which are not easy to find for this Convertible. My question is "How do I remove the door panels which you can see from the attached pictures has been restored." I have not "rolled " them up but the previous short term owner did and had a heck of a time getting it back down or so he said. I know to remove the garnish, the door and window handles before I do anything else. Do I just use a flat blade screwdriver to pop the plastic tabs out? Are the tabs then reusable? Any and all advice will be much appreciated. I would think it would be easier to see what is going wrong if anything with the door panels off before I "Roll" the windows up.
Ramblin Reck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 09:45 AM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: Repairing exsitsting windows to working condition on 1939 Convertible

Use a putty knife to pry up the door panel to remove the clips. The OEM clips are metal, not plastic. You first will have to remove the interior door handles, then the clips. Do a Fordbarn search on interior door panel or interior door panel clips.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 02:25 PM   #3
supereal

Default Re: Repairing exsitsting windows to working condition on 1939 Convertible

The convertible regulators are usually different in convertibles. and nearly impossible to
find. If you have the originals, they probably have worn or missing teeth. We repair them by welding the damaged teeth, the reshaping them with a die grinder. I had to do all of mine in the '47 I restored. The window frames are often heavier than the closed car types, and the regulators take a beating, wearing out.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 03:26 PM   #4
Ramblin Reck

Thank you 19Fordy!
Old 10-22-2021, 03:27 PM   #5
Ramblin Reck

Thank you supereal!
Old 10-23-2021, 08:23 AM   #6
Kurt in NJ

The window frames run on rollers, the rollers have a ball on each side for a bearing, they get rusted and the rollers get loose, a metal bar is screwed over the bearing balls to tighten them, it bends when it is tightened, the channels the rollers ride in have a spring tension bar to take up play, there's a felt strip crimped into the other channel for anti rattling.
The trim and hardware catalog has pictures of the regulators, educate yourself and dig through piles of regulators at flea markets, it took me a while, I have found all 4 regulators, and all 4 foo latches , there's also repair kits for the small gear the hand crank turns, they are different than closed cars and modern listings may not be correct, you may need to take yours apart and have the parts to compare.
I too have welded new teeth on regulator gears, and cut/ welded gear sections from other donors
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote