Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-30-2014, 10:19 PM   #1
Edith49

Default best engine oil for stock 17 model T

Hey Guys I know this has probably been covered some time in the past but I'm not much good at this forum thing yet obviosly. I was looking for a recomendation for the best engine oil to use in my new to me T touring. It is a 1917 all stock run's very well, leaks a little, not bad. The fellow I got her from recomended Rotella 15 w 40. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.
Edith49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:03 PM   #2
jackdaron

Default Re: best engine oil for stock 17 model T

any thing you use would beat the old oils. I run 10W-30 in mine,but 5w-30 would also be good. Have you been to Wallace to see the ModelT garage?
jackdaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:12 AM   #3
Edith49

Oh yeah, crawfordsville is only about 15 or so miles from Wallace, good restaurant there also. Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:02 AM   #4
Steve Jelf

Jack is correct about any oil today being better than what was used in 1917. That means you have many choices. Those choices come with a range of prices. Since all of them are adequate, go for cheap, cheap, cheap. You can buy the chain store's low priced house brand, or you can help the major brands pay for their expensive advertising. My dad was a stillman for forty years and worked at Shell, Pathfinder, and Union Oil refineries. He used to say, "It all comes out of the same pipe." He was speaking metaphorically, not literally, to make the point that all brands are pretty much the same stuff.

The one exception I make for a Model T is to avoid oils that contains metals, which I see as a potential problem for the oil-bathed magneto. Fortunately for me, those are among the more costly brands unlikely to find their way into my T.
Steve Jelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:59 PM   #5
Jack Innes

You may want to govern yourself by the theory involved with motor oil. Simply put, non detergent oil lubricates & picks up carbon & other contaminants which then settle out & are deposited inside the crank case to be cleaned out at the next rod adjustment. Detergent oil lubricates & picks up the same contaminants & keeps them in suspension indefinitely until they are removed by the oil filter. Without the filter the crud is continuously circulated through your bearings.

Putting detergent oil in an old engine that has been run with non detergent oil can quickly loosen all of the deposited crud & apply it to the bearings all at once. This can help you fill in all of that spare time you thought you had this winter with an engine rebuild.

This was well explained to me by my father who was a mechanic & car dealer when detergent oil was introduced.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:00 PM   #6
Edith49

Thank you all for your responces, I greatly appreciate the vast wealth of knowledge here .
Old 09-01-2014, 08:04 AM   #7
15max

My consideration for oil is to choose one you can buy anywhere on the road so you don't have to carry more than a quart with you.
15max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:52 AM   #8
Royce P

When detergent oil was introduced there were many misconceptions and old wives tales. Jack has repeated one taught to him by his father. We all respect our fathers, however they are mistaken some times just as we are.

Dirt will circulate with non detergent oil just as it will with detergent oil. Change your oil every 1000 miles or every year, which ever comes first. There is no filter in a Model T, the only way to remove dirt is to drain the oil.

So called "detergent oil" does not leave a waxy residue caked all over the inside of the engine like the inferior non detergent oils.
Royce P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:57 PM   #9
modelAsteve

I put in the cheapest I can find and change it every 1000 miles!
modelAsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:59 AM   #10
Kajtek1

How do you know it is 1000 miles and how long it takes you to drive it?
(I know it is old topic, but question is valid)
Kajtek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:25 PM   #11
redmodelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Innes View Post
You may want to govern yourself by the theory involved with motor oil. Simply put, non detergent oil lubricates & picks up carbon & other contaminants which then settle out & are deposited inside the crank case to be cleaned out at the next rod adjustment. Detergent oil lubricates & picks up the same contaminants & keeps them in suspension indefinitely until they are removed by the oil filter. Without the filter the crud is continuously circulated through your bearings.

Putting detergent oil in an old engine that has been run with non detergent oil can quickly loosen all of the deposited crud & apply it to the bearings all at once. This can help you fill in all of that spare time you thought you had this winter with an engine rebuild.

This was well explained to me by my father who was a mechanic & car dealer when detergent oil was introduced.

And every time the engine is run the flywheel and rods pick that same stuff up and put it back in the oil anyway. Detergent oil is a misnomer and does not wash the deposits off the inside. The use of the word "Detergent" was a marketing tool used to sell the new oil and should have never been used. Some of us don't even wait 1000 miles to change oil, me it much sooner.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:45 AM   #12
JoeBauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
How do you know it is 1000 miles and how long it takes you to drive it?
(I know it is old topic, but question is valid)
I think Ford said to change it every 500 miles.

I use hour meters on my cars and change the oil every 20 hours. If I average 25 mph 20 hours equals 500 miles.
JoeBauer is offline   Reply With Quote