Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-13-2015, 05:29 PM   #1
GB SISSON

Default Kinda like those 150.00 jeeps and harleys

I received my nos 01T pistons yesterday. .060 over and just like those old ads in the back of the comic books, they were 'Wrapped in cosmoline'. That's some sticky stuff. I'll post some after pics later. Best solvent???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cosmoline 066.jpg (53.7 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg cosmoline 068.jpg (61.7 KB, 63 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:32 PM   #2
Fordors

Default Re: Kinda like those 150.00 jeeps and harleys

I've successfully used kerosene. Soak to soften, looks like you will need to scrape with a soft (plastic?) scraper for the larger chunks followed by a good brushing.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:36 PM   #3
corvette8n

Boiling water also works.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:41 PM   #4
scooder

My favourite way is to get the paper off, set the piston skirt down on a house brick, then play a soft flame from a blow lamp (heat gun may do the job, just never used one for it) the goop will fall off quite quickly, then simple easy clean the residue off with WD40 or similar. Really speeds up the job, and you get to play with flames at the same time!
Martin.
ps, don't those pistons smell cool.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:45 PM   #5
alan

when I restored my first 40 tudor, I bought almost all mechanical parts from a dealer who had WW2 surplus, bearings dipped in grease, wrapped in cloth, dipped in cosmoline and the coated in wax-- what a job to get thru to the actual bearing itself--but what a beauty!!! are those steel pistons?
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:59 PM   #6
GB SISSON

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan View Post
when I restored my first 40 tudor, I bought almost all mechanical parts from a dealer who had WW2 surplus, bearings dipped in grease, wrapped in cloth, dipped in cosmoline and the coated in wax-- what a job to get thru to the actual bearing itself--but what a beauty!!! are those steel pistons?
You got me running for a magnet! The other six are aluminum, and it turns out so are these. And yeah, they smell really good! My folks moved us to the East Coast when I was a teenager in the 60's. My buddy Hermon bought a 1946 Triumph 500 flathead twin with a rigid frame from a place called 'Building 19' in Hingham Mass. Canadian army surplus. Olive drab and lots of cosmoline. I think we washed it all off with gas, but I'm not into that these days. Hermon still has the bike in New Hampshire and about 10 years ago I saw an identical bike for sale in Victoria BC. It was still in it's wooden crate but the seller had removed a slat or two for a peek. I thought about looking at it, but would have been awful tempted to keep it in the crate. I almost never drive my BSA anymore as it is. For 20 bucks I might get another piston to keep under wraps, just as a souvenir.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:34 PM   #7
RalphM

I've unwrapped many a 1903 Springfield and M1 Garand part that was coated in cosmoline. Spray Carburetor cleaner works good for removing it.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 12:09 AM   #8
willowbilly3

When I was a kid I heard of the $100 jeeps totally full of cosmoline, not sure if it was true.
I had a neighbor in Willow Alaska who had a job putting runway lights in on the strip there. It was a great gravel strip built by the Army in WW2 and B17s could land there. When they were trenching in the lights they dug through layers of some kind of solvent or chemical that was so noxious you couldn't stay in the ditch. I always figured it was what they dissolved cosmoline with.
willowbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote