Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-16-2019, 02:28 PM   #1
56sedandelivery

Default Wind wing part 2

So I am disassembling my 56 wind wings for rebuilding. Got the seal off fairly easy and now working on the channel that the main window rides in. There are three places that are riveted to the wind wing frame. The bottom one was no problem but the other two areas have me stumped.

In the first pic I can probably get the rivets out if I can find a long drill bit. I just cannot get a standard size bit to get in there.

The second pic is the one giving me fits. The rivet are on the inside of the frame and I cannot see any way to drill them out. Any ideas on this?

Also where can I find the correct rivets to reinstall all this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wind wing 4.jpg (30.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Wind wing 3.jpg (37.7 KB, 28 views)
56sedandelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:50 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Wind wing part 2

I use extended bits when I have side clearance problems. The long ones are 10 to 12 inches long. When they are that long, a person can bend them a bit off center if you hold the shank of the bit when it's turning. I would recommend gloves but I generally don't use them. They are sized in wire gauge. #40 is 3/32", #30 is 1/8", and #21 is 3/32" so you need to know the diameter of the rivet shank to get the correct size. Aircraft tool suppliers have these extended bits and you can get them in fractional sizes as well. You may need a correct size pin punch too. A small narrow chisel would be good to have if it starts to go off center a bit.

I have a 1/4" X 28 tpi size 90 degree drill that uses that size thread attached to different length and size bits and all the normal size bits for that. Even that small bit set up may not fit in there. Aircraft and helicopters are put together with rivets so I have all that stuff to do those tight fit jobs and wouldn't you know, I end up using them a lot.

ATS, Aircraft Spruce, or one of the other aircraft tool suppliers will have this stuff as well as specialty machine tool suppliers.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:44 PM   #3
paul2748

For rivets, try Big Flats Rivet Co. ( www.bigflatsrivet.com )

I haven't ordered from them lately, but the tel # I have is 607-562-3501
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:23 AM   #4
56sedandelivery

Thanks for the responses.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:36 AM   #5
56sedandelivery

Got the pieces apart with the longer drill bit. It appears that the holes are 9/64 in diameter. It looks like the original rivets were the tubular type. The parts to be rejoined are from .175 to .190 in thickness. Would a 9/64' x 1/4' rivet be too short for this?
Old 07-19-2019, 09:33 AM   #6
54vicky

yes 1/4=.250
54vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:33 AM   #7
56sedandelivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54vicky View Post
yes 1/4=.250

Kind of thought that 1/4 would be too short. Should I go with a 5/16 or 3/8 length to work with those pieces? Thanks
Old 07-19-2019, 12:37 PM   #8
Dave Covey

Watch this video.. Informative.

https://youtu.be/2AcT89vClRI

Dave
Dave Covey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 01:19 PM   #9
rotorwrench

I would purchase rivets for the thickness I needed to join and the next longer size just in case. You can shorten a tubular rivet but you can't add too it. The tubular rivets have to set proud enough through the joined thickness to be able to curl around for a normal set. Sometimes you have to experiment when doing these things and it can cost a few rivets to get good results so get enough quantity to cover all the possibilities.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:46 PM   #10
Daves55Sedan

Are you kicking yourself for no reason with these rivet sizes?
You are going to buy the vent window rubber seal kit from Dennis Carpenter anyway, right? And you will need to get the custom-fit window channel kit for the rail right?
When I redid all my vent windows (latest was in 1999), back then they furnished all the new rivets of correct size in the kits.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:35 AM   #11
56sedandelivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
Are you kicking yourself for no reason with these rivet sizes?
You are going to buy the vent window rubber seal kit from Dennis Carpenter anyway, right? And you will need to get the custom-fit window channel kit for the rail right?
When I redid all my vent windows (latest was in 1999), back then they furnished all the new rivets of correct size in the kits.

I have all the gaskets and seal for doing this. The small strip seal came with rivets. The C shaped rubber gasket does not have rivets. The window channel that the side window goes up and down in did not come with any rivets. That was the piece I needed to find the correct rivets for. I ordered some 9/64th x 3/8 and will see how they work. May have to order some a bit shorter but at least getting there.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:49 PM   #12
bobss396

I had my glass guy do my vent glass and door glass, he did all the hard work. I supplied the glass and whatever seals that were needed.

On the '59 Ford, there is a rigid piece of channel that screws to the vent window frame. I had to cut the channel to size, mill and drill all the slots and holes from my OG piece that was in bad shape.
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:50 PM   #13
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobss396 View Post
I had my glass guy do my vent glass and door glass, he did all the hard work. I supplied the glass and whatever seals that were needed.
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if a glass shop just glued the window fuzzy channels to the door frame and the front and rear door glass run channels rather than duplicating what the factory did with rivets and clips.
When I did mine, I couldn't bring myself to trust a glass shop to do it right. I kept the original clips that go along the top and back of the fuzzy window channels and replaced all my rivets exactly as the factory had done.
Straightening the top and back side clips with needle-nozed pliers prior to re-installation is tedious, and setting up for punching the rivets can be a pain too, but at least it will hold as good as new.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:13 PM   #14
bobss396

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if a glass shop just glued the window fuzzy channels to the door frame and the front and rear door glass run channels rather than duplicating what the factory did with rivets and clips.
When I did mine, I couldn't bring myself to trust a glass shop to do it right. I kept the original clips that go along the top and back of the fuzzy window channels and replaced all my rivets exactly as the factory had done.
Straightening the top and back side clips with needle-nozed pliers prior to re-installation is tedious, and setting up for punching the rivets can be a pain too, but at least it will hold as good as new.

All he did was to set the glass in the vent frame and window lift channel. I knew there was different thicknesses of the setting tape. The rest I did.
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote