Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-29-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
fordblitz

Default Oil filter element size- Ford military engine

I am restoring a WW2 CMP 15 cwt Ford truck in Australia equipped with the factory bypass filter mounted on the flathead engine and wish to use it. I have a 65 year old NOS filter element sample and do not want to use it due to its age and thought it would be easy to match it. Seems thought that all the newly manufactured filter elements for flathead engines Made by WIX, NAPA, and Purolator are much bigger diameter- just over 4 inches. The cannister it fits into is just 4-1/8" ID so there is very little side clearance if I use one of them. The original NOS element is 3-3/4" dia and 5-1/2" high giving good clearance all round. My questions then are: Do all Flathead ford filter cannisters have a 4-1/8" inside diameter? If so, doesn't it matter that there is only about 1/32" inch clearance using a modern filter element? Perhaps the military specified a different oil filter or Ford Canada used a smaller sized cannister on their V8's? Have eyestrain looking at filter websites trying to match the original dimensions so any advice will be greatly appreciated. Cheers!
fordblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:32 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: Oil filter element size- Ford military engine

The filters we use are 4.33 diameter regardless of brand. They fit snugly into the cannister, and all have a bale. The oil filter in those days was always an option. I've never seen a smaller diameter filter, so you may indeed have a locally produced or Canadian variety filter. Pictures of your truck would be great!
Old 11-30-2011, 06:31 AM   #3
51 MERC-CT

In an 8BA filter, considering that it is fed by a .055 dia. restrictor hole, a .005" clearance between the filter and cannister would have more than ten times the area necessary to let oil flow.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

I know that at least some Canadian bypass filters at least look different from US. I can proably locate filter element PN to perhaps show if different, but if it just has a "C" added to US pn I don't think that will indicate whetrer there is an actual significant difference or just a Canadian supplied part.
You are sure it is a bypass? The full flow used on some of the military engines went on head just like the bypass but was different in appearance and used entirely different element.
I too would love to see detail pictures of your truck and engine. Does the engine have a PCV setup on it??
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
42ford

Some mopar filter elements from the 50s used a smaller element. I believe that the inside hole where it fits the tube and the heigth are the most important sizes, so if you were to find one with a smaller outside dia, but the inside hole fit snug on the tube, and the height was good, you could use it
42ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:51 PM   #6
Bob C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Check out a Fram C100 (NAPA 1001). 5 1/2" tall, 3 23/32" OD, 1/2" hole.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:53 PM   #7
fordblitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster View Post
I know that at least some Canadian bypass filters at least look different from US. I can proably locate filter element PN to perhaps show if different, but if it just has a "C" added to US pn I don't think that will indicate whetrer there is an actual significant difference or just a Canadian supplied part.
You are sure it is a bypass? The full flow used on some of the military engines went on head just like the bypass but was different in appearance and used entirely different element.
I too would love to see detail pictures of your truck and engine. Does the engine have a PCV setup on it??
Many thanks for all the good info. First forum I have ever joined ever joined even though I have been around computers since 1988. Will get a photo out soon. Yes, engine is set up with the original PCV system. Spectacle piece at carby and PCV valve in front of it with plumbing to the front of the intake manifold. Has a small oil-bath air filter on the fuel pump stand to filter the incoming air. This military engine also runs two-row pulleys/belts on crank, pumps and genny where the fan is also attached. Cheers!
Old 11-30-2011, 05:47 PM   #8
ford38v8

But you forgot to mention that thew engine is mounted upside down?
Old 11-30-2011, 10:01 PM   #9
fordblitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
But you forgot to mention that thew engine is mounted upside down?
Yes, but the engine runs backwards so it all balances out!

see attached photo of military engine PCV plumbing for those who asked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1894.jpg (59.4 KB, 125 views)
Old 12-01-2011, 12:14 AM   #10
fordblitz

Attached photo of WW2 1944 CMP F15A Ford ex Australian Army truck. (Still under restoration)
F15: Ford 15 cwt- 101" wheelbase, A: 4 x 4

Built by Ford Canada for Commonweath military forces. This vehicle was locally assembled in Australia with an Australian built General Service body. (made by Holden body works which is General Motors in Australia). Difference to fully Canadian built vehicles are many but most noticeable is the designs of the GS body, and the large tool box and spare tyre carrier behind the cabin.

Unique features to this model: Smallest CMP (Canadian Military Pattern) model. Single range transfer case- lever forward 4 wheel drive, lever back 2 wheel drive. 16" wheels- all other model Ford CMP's used 20" wheels and dual range xfer case. This model uses 6.50:1 diff ratio- all other models with 20" wheels used 7.16:1 diffs due to larger wheel size. No vacuum assist brakes- again, the bigger CMP's had vacuum assisted brakes.

And finally they are commonly known as "Blitz buggies" in Australia and usually shortened just to a "Ford Blitz". There are still quite a few laying in paddocks in delapidated condition around Australia where they stopped decades ago.

Hope my North American cousins find this interesting!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2844.jpg (73.9 KB, 80 views)
Old 12-01-2011, 06:28 AM   #11
1952henry

That's neat, thanks for posting the picture. I didn't realize a smaller version of the CMP was made.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #12
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Blitz, do you have the service manual for your truck? I probably have a spare, if not. The one I just found seems to have come nearly full circle on its grand tour...Canada to England to South Africa (probably with a pause in Libya and Italy) to New Jersey...it can go tour the other hemisphere if you lack one.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #13
Howard

Smile Re: Oil filter element size- Ford military engine

G'Day there FordBlitz!
I also have an F15A, an F15, a F60S and also (with a hint of shame) a C15A Wireless Van. I have been collecting & photographing these beasts for about 10 years now.
Do we know each other? Do you attend the Corowa swim-in?
Drop us a note, and feel free to ask any questions. But, sorry, I am not sure about the oil filter. I know the Chev runs a R2374P (Ryco) and I am only 90% sure the Ford is the same.
Cheers
Howard.
Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #14
Mart

I found a website for an Aussie filter company that has a great look up feature for filaments based on dimensions. It may have been Ryco. The look ups included element type and spin ons.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #15
Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordblitz View Post
I am restoring a WW2 CMP 15 cwt Ford truck in Australia equipped with the factory bypass filter mounted on the flathead engine and wish to use it. I have a 65 year old NOS filter element sample and do not want to use it due to its age and thought it would be easy to match it. Seems thought that all the newly manufactured filter elements for flathead engines Made by WIX, NAPA, and Purolator are much bigger diameter- just over 4 inches. The cannister it fits into is just 4-1/8" ID so there is very little side clearance if I use one of them. The original NOS element is 3-3/4" dia and 5-1/2" high giving good clearance all round. My questions then are: Do all Flathead ford filter cannisters have a 4-1/8" inside diameter? If so, doesn't it matter that there is only about 1/32" inch clearance using a modern filter element? Perhaps the military specified a different oil filter or Ford Canada used a smaller sized cannister on their V8's? Have eyestrain looking at filter websites trying to match the original dimensions so any advice will be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

What size is the center hole or does it matter?

R
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:42 PM   #16
Ronnie

There are various filters available what center hole size will work for you??
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote