Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-28-2017, 12:00 PM   #1
msbrown6

Default Clutch - Right hand drive 1929 Phaeton

Hey folks - First of all, thanks in advance for your continued good advice - I sure enjoy this forum! I have a '29 Phaeton whose clutch is really growling at me. I've known for some time now that it would likely need a new clutch - but I'm a little daunted by trying to find parts for replacing the clutch - especially if any special parts will be needed because of the right hand drive. I'm looking also to come up with a parts list for parts I will need to preorder for when I tackle this repair. Also, wondering if it is okay to still drive - given that it is growling at me especially at low RPMs in first gear. I would hate to cause any damage. Thanks!
msbrown6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:34 PM   #2
john charlton

Default Re: Clutch - Right hand drive 1929 Phaeton

Sounds to me you have transmission troubles as you say it growls in first gear etc etc . . Only difference between left hand and right is the pedal /linkage and bell housing all internal mechanical parts are the same .First check you have oil in the transmission and of the right grade . Remove the floor boards put the transmission in neutral and remove the the transmission top and have a look at the gears .Take some pics . Get a knowledgable model A man in to advise you on the best course of action .

John in warm sunny evening Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:46 PM   #3
ronn

Had the same problem and my mechanic was able to take a standard trans and swap in the parts, just as John says. Was not a big deal.

If you change the clutch, make sure you buy one of the better clutches, which has been discussed here before. Some have springs that can pop out.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:47 AM   #4
LizardsA

Mike here in South Africa - all our Model 'A's are right hand drive, so we can give good experienced advice. If you are going to pull the clutch housing out, check the pedal shaft for wear. If there is too much wear, you will need the machine shop to turn and fit another shaft, since the RHD shaft is a different diameter to the LHD, and the RHD shaft is no longer available from the parts suppliers. You may as well get a new collar that goes on the end of the shaft made as well - also no longer available. While they are about it, get them to make some pedal bushings for you too, since the LHD pedal bushings don't fit. The piston wrist pin bushings do fit on the pedal shaft, but not always a good option.
Feel free to send me mail to my personal email if you wish
LizardsA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:42 AM   #5
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardsA View Post
Mike here in South Africa - all our Model 'A's are right hand drive, so we can give good experienced advice. If you are going to pull the clutch housing out, check the pedal shaft for wear. If there is too much wear, you will need the machine shop to turn and fit another shaft, since the RHD shaft is a different diameter to the LHD, and the RHD shaft is no longer available from the parts suppliers. You may as well get a new collar that goes on the end of the shaft made as well - also no longer available. While they are about it, get them to make some pedal bushings for you too, since the LHD pedal bushings don't fit. The piston wrist pin bushings do fit on the pedal shaft, but not always a good option.
Feel free to send me mail to my personal email if you wish
Another part for RHD that is not available is the arm that goes on the bottom shaft. They are "cranked" in the opposite direction. I have found it best to buy the fabricated ones rather than the cast ones so you can remodel them to work.
As has been said above, everything inside the bell housing is the same but fro your description, I'm not convinced that the clutch is your problem. FWIW, I too suspect the problem lurks inside the gearbox.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:26 PM   #6
msbrown6

Thanks - sure appreciate the advice!
msbrown6 is offline   Reply With Quote