Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-28-2015, 08:16 PM   #1
Yoyodyne

Default 21 stud bolt pattern - anyone have it?

I'm going to make a an aluminum honing plate for my 21 stud block. Does anyone have a drawing or locations for the stud holes? If you can help me out you'll save me a tremendous amount of time reverse engineering used parts.
Yoyodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:22 PM   #2
34PKUP

Default Re: 21 stud bolt pattern - anyone have it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyodyne View Post
I'm going to make a an aluminum honing plate for my 21 stud block. Does anyone have a drawing or locations for the stud holes? If you can help me out you'll save me a tremendous amount of time reverse engineering used parts.
And you don't have a head or head gasket to transfer from? (Doesn't have to be super accurate )
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:38 PM   #3
Yoyodyne

Because I'm going to use the plates for several things, I'm going to CNC profile the outline of the combustion chamber gasket edges into the plates and I want the bolt holes in the right locations. In this case for what I'm doing yes it does need to be accurate. An old ford drawing or similar to start with would be very helpful.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:19 PM   #4
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Because I'm going to use the plates for several things, I'm going to CNC profile the outline of the combustion chamber gasket edges into the plates and I want the bolt holes in the right locations. In this case for what I'm doing yes it does need to be accurate. An old ford drawing or similar to start with would be very helpful.
Maybe if you contacted someone making reproduction 21 stud heads they would send you the type of drawing(s) you need. Kearney Pattern Works in California comes to mind as a company that might be willing to help. Also, maybe the Ford Archives/Benson Research Center in Dearborn, Mi might be of some help.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:43 AM   #5
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
So are you saying that the relationship of the chamber edges on the gasket to the stud holes on the gasket is not accurate?
Old 03-01-2015, 04:44 AM   #6
Mart

FWIW quite a few stud holes are common between the 21 stud and 24 stud patterns. I'm thinking you could make one plate that would fit both.

Can't help with dimensions, I'd transfer them from a genuine ford head.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:41 AM   #7
GOSFAST

Quote:
We've made a number of block-plates, including the Flathead we use here, using the gaskets as a template, has worked really well. The one in the photo below was done on a "Hass" some years ago.

If you have access to a "CNC" you should be able to probe the holes either in a head or a block. Not sure what type CNC mill you are using? Probing all the holes will give you accurate numbers/dimensions.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. We use our block-plate also as a fixture to "pin" the heads and gaskets to all the Flathead units we build. It makes for longer gasket life, keeps everything lined up, same scenario as the SB Chev's!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead Block Plate-Guides.JPG (74.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Flathead Block Plate-Pins.JPG (77.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Flathead Block-Pinned B.JPG (80.4 KB, 21 views)
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:49 AM   #8
Yoyodyne

Nice work, that's very much what I have in mind. My VMC doesn't have a probe, I'd have to indicate the holes and contours in a sheetmetal gasket which sure seems like a problematic challenge to say the least, plus I'd have to trust the gasket I chose.

Would you be interested in sharing your data? I assume you have only the 24 stud pattern? If so, It would still help as a good starting point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOSFAST View Post
We've made a number of block-plates, including the Flathead we use here, using the gaskets as a template, has worked really well. The one in the photo below was done on a "Hass" some years ago.

If you have access to a "CNC" you should be able to probe the holes either in a head or a block. Not sure what type CNC mill you are using? Probing all the holes will give you accurate numbers/dimensions.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. We use our block-plate also as a fixture to "pin" the heads and gaskets to all the Flathead units we build. It makes for longer gasket life, keeps everything lined up, same scenario as the SB Chev's!