Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-13-2014, 06:36 PM   #1
34FordFabricator

Default The H.A.M.B.

I sure hope the Ford Barn stays just the way it is a great sight and does not make a mess like the HAMB did. I can not make heads or tails of it or figure out anything on it. It is surely not user friendly. I just left the sight not wanting to use it.
Bill
34FordFabricator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:46 PM   #2
Roadster62

Default Re: The H.A.M.B.

Did you "Log In" or just look around? I sure hope i can log in within the next week, I've lost my password. Bob
Old 05-13-2014, 07:52 PM   #3
Dak Rat

I checked it out--don't like it. Whats with all the ads?
Dak Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:58 PM   #4
Straightpipes

It's great, has BIG print. Most of the Fordbarn guys would like that.
Straightpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:15 PM   #5
Shadetree

I just got my fix! I viewed all of the Vintage Photos I had imssed on the H.A.M.B. since the change. Can't say I like it better than the old site but I am sure Ryan had his reasons for changing it. It is still enjoyable and I appreciate it!
Old 05-13-2014, 09:56 PM   #6
TagMan

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak Rat View Post
I checked it out--don't like it. Whats with all the ads?

The ads disappear when you log in.
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:43 AM   #7
Roadster62

Does the "InBox" Message deal on the screen have anything to to with the HAMB or is is it useless crap? My fault I never wrote down the last "Password" I got when access was lost the last time. I fully understand whith all the updating that getting a new one is weeks in the future, but I'd sure like to read what is going on. I can't take the crap ads that distract things now. Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by TagMan View Post

The ads disappear when you log in.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:58 AM   #8
barnfind

The "crap ads" are probably a feature of the hosting ISP which probably moved as well. Seems to be a lot slower than the old side so it will be interesting to see how things go in the future if the visitors ramp up.
barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:19 AM   #9
texas webb

Took me a couple of times,I didn't click the stay logged in box.Roadster there may be a "forgot my password"box to use.My name/password are same for both sites.It is different but my eyes like the print.
texas webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:23 AM   #10
Krylon32

Can't figure it out either. Had ads in the for sale area, have no idea what happened to them and then I can't find the personal messages either. I'm computer ignorant but can usually muttle thru but this has me flustered?????
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:54 AM   #11
texas webb

Seems like the sale section is slow going.The first day only 1-2 pages.Be a work in progress but Ryan said hang tight it will all get there.
texas webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:11 AM   #12
36 ford

Don't much care for the " new improved " version especially now that you can no longer hover over the ad title to see what's in the ad or an indicator that pics were uploaded to the ad. Technology seems to break what wasn't broken in the interest of improvement

Phil
36 ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:21 AM   #13
19Fordy

Gee! I like the new look. Easy to read.
BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING,
"Log IN" at the upper right hand corner of the opening page. Then click on "remember me".
That avoids seeing the adds in the future.

Keep in mind that if your in business in today's electronic media world, HAMB has to "Keep Up"
with the rapid change. Looking only in your rear view mirror, won't move you forward.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 05-14-2014 at 10:43 AM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:34 AM   #14
gwhite

Seems like every couple weeks there is a thread here on Ford Barn, AACA, &c, lamenting the fact that 'young people' aren't interested. Personally, I don't think young folks are dismissive of the content (I'm in my mid-30's and love pre-war autos), but they do tend to struggle with the context (stuffy monthly meetings, newsletters).

In other words, the "message" of vintage automobile restoration (or modification in the case of the HAMB) isn't what young people "don't get"; it's the means of communication. The younger generations have been conditioned by technology to 'think' in terms of dynamic moving pictures, icons, and graphics. They exist in a media-rich world...too many organizations simply aren't speaking their language - the "dialect" of social media is a prime example.

I'm glad to see the changes on the HAMB - I liked it before, but now think that it has a more 'integrated' feel with the additions of Instagram and the cleaner, more icon-focused layout.
gwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:19 AM   #15
alchemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwhite View Post
Seems like every couple weeks there is a thread here on Ford Barn, AACA, &c, lamenting the fact that 'young people' aren't interested. Personally, I don't think young folks are dismissive of the content (I'm in my mid-30's and love pre-war autos), but they do tend to struggle with the context (stuffy monthly meetings, newsletters).

In other words, the "message" of vintage automobile restoration (or modification in the case of the HAMB) isn't what young people "don't get"; it's the means of communication. The younger generations have been conditioned by technology to 'think' in terms of dynamic moving pictures, icons, and graphics. They exist in a media-rich world...too many organizations simply aren't speaking their language - the "dialect" of social media is a prime example.

I'm glad to see the changes on the HAMB - I liked it before, but now think that it has a more 'integrated' feel with the additions of Instagram and the cleaner, more icon-focused layout.

Amen. I'm no techno-geek, but I think if the hobby of old cars wants to remain, it needs to be "seen" by anybody and everybody. The www is a great way to be seen. If you don't support the latest way to get the message out, this hobby will mostly die with you (us).
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:41 AM   #16
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Yes, LOG IN or register and log in, do not touch the ads about messages and stuff! As stated, they go away once you are in and you can forget that whole mess. Everything clicks and opens more or less as before, the new features don't really interfere with clicking into a board or into a discussion.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:51 AM   #17
jerseyboy

The Hamb is different now, but just try and explore.

All the way up in the right hand corner, is the sign in.

First type in your old user name (jerseyboy), then type in your old password (hotrot).

There are three short ribbons hanging off a ribbon going across the upper third of the screen. Those three small ribbons have links to stuff like watched threads, people, and your profile.

Hope this helps.

Keep V-8ing and 4-banging!
Hooked up on it now.
I tried to hook another
To see if I'd do a little good,
But ain't no place to put it
'Less I perforate the hood.

Wanted, lower side sections of 32 radiator cowl.

Last edited by jerseyboy; 05-14-2014 at 12:01 PM. Reason: new info
jerseyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:56 AM   #18
GreenMonster48

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwhite View Post

So true. I was about to complain about people looking a gift horse in the mouth, but you bring up an excellent point. Though we all share similar interests, a lot of us are living in two different techno-worlds.
GreenMonster48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:16 PM   #19
Roadster62

OK! Explain this crap to me in common language, the HAMB is a website (ClubHouse) it is also on Facebook, so now it is a TWO Room clubhouse with Normal HAMB members in one room and the FACEBOOK geeks in another. Sorry if I offended any FACEBOOK loosers. How do the two groups improve the hobby if they can't meet in the same room? Still can't LOG IN to the HAMB since I lost my password. Bob (Ten Year HAMB Member)
Old 05-14-2014, 12:56 PM   #20
rotorwrench

I'm just trying to figure out the search functions so far. It's definitely different but Ryan mentions it is not yet complete. The site should eventually be as easy as the last version but we will have to wait & see. I'd be certain that it should have some functions that make it better or the boss man wouldn't have gone to all the trouble to change it.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote