Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-21-2018, 11:36 AM   #1
wingski

Default It was the coil

Well, my ‘29 cabriolet now runs due to some of the guys from my model A club coming over and getting it that way. These guys from Henry’s Lady in Grants Pass OR call themselves the “Knuckle Busters” because they are the ones who go to a person’s home and physically help them out. They worked their asses off for hours yesterday, and it was cold. It was so wild to stand back, supply tools when needed, keep out of their way, and just watch and learn. Listening to their deduction and rationale was wonderful and very educational. I didn’t hear a single cuss word. Crap, there were several times when I would have been swearing to beat the band if it had been just me.

I had a heater hooked up so they could at least warm up their hands, because I know what happens when I work with cold hands, and it is bloody. I think blood was only drawn once by John our president. But still no cussing, just a loud OW! However, band-aids had come with them and he was patched up.

You know, I see a bunch of construction or road workers standing around talking, and I wonder how anything ever gets accomplished. These guys from my club would work for awhile, then talk for awhile about what they were discovering, then go back to work. After some discussion and debating, it was decided that the coil was bad. I ran down to NAPA and bought a new one while the guys got warm in my house, had hot coffee, and B.S.’d with my wife and dog.

It was the coil, and with a new one it started. With some carburetor adjustment and fiddling, that old engine finally purrs. Well, maybe not purrs, but close to it.

The main thing I learned yesterday was how much these guys care for one another. I’m not used to that and learned something really important. I’m not a joiner as a rule, but being part of this club has really opened my eyes about how great it can be to be part of something more than yourself.

Just like the Ford Barn forum being a part of something more than just myself has really opened my eyes. It it so wonderful to still be learning things at my age. And hey, these are very important things to be learning.

Maybe there’s still hope for me after all,

Mike
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:47 AM   #2
Bill G

Default Re: It was the coil

That's great!!

I have had similar experiences with my local club. There in lies the extreme value of the clubs.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:48 AM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

My brother has been into muscle cars for years. But when he obtained a Model T he found the same thing you did. He never had an offer to help out with his muscle cars but found loads that would help with his T. He now helps others and I know you will soon do the same.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:02 PM   #4
BillCNC

Sounds like a VERY NICE club to be in.

Regards
Bill
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:21 PM   #5
ursus

Sounds like a good therapy session for the car and everyone involved. And some people wonder why we like messing around with Model A's?
ursus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:29 PM   #6
chap52

A rarity in today's world are people that are passionate about something then actually being willing to come and share their knowledge and help. Thanks to all on these forums and clubs that are real "doers" of brotherly love. Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:33 PM   #7
Vintage Copper 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursus View Post
Sounds like a good therapy session for the car and everyone involved. And some people wonder why we like messing around with Model A's?
I try to explain this to my 23 year old son, and my forty-five year old friend.. Wrenching on old cars is a style an rhythm all on its own.. we wrench for a while, sit back & drink coffee, discuss, sometimes we have to wait because we don't know what step we will take (not that we don't know how, just which is most efficient depends on which part of the car we are working on).. then we wrench some more.. I ask my son to come hold a wrench or two.. he does it then walks away.. I say, "we aren't done yet".. he says, "well what's next?" I say, wait a few minutes and we'll figure that out".. He doesn't get it.. you know why?..... no passion for it!

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".

"Old enough for the experience & too young to know better"
Vintage Copper 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:04 PM   #8
JOHN CT

I tell new people that are interested into getting model a’s. To join a local club first before you buy your first A. They know where there’s A’s for sale and the wealth of knowledge is great!! That’s what I did joined a club first. Now whenever I need a hand I get 10 mechanics all at once.
JOHN CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:02 PM   #9
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

Mike, that is a great write-up and I plan to use it for our club. Very well put. Thanks. jack
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:31 PM   #10
Synchro909

We have an organisation here called Men's Shed. It's purpose is to provide a means for isolated men to come together for social interaction and support. Its benefits for the mental health have been shown to be strong. I see what Mike has described as proof that our old cars give us a similar network for contact and support. It goes beyond the cars - they are only the excuse to get together.
Well said, Mike.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:45 PM   #11
old31

Wingski, thanks for sharing and taking the time to write it up as you did.

Hats off to the guys in that club.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:47 PM   #12
duke36

How did the guys determine the coil was bad? Did they test it, etc.?
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:21 PM   #13
glenn in camino

My friend Dave (in the Hangtown As) is coming over tomorrow to help adjust valves on my sport coupe. I've adjusted valves several times but as I get older everything has gotten more difficult.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:16 AM   #14
wingski

Duke, since we didn’t have a way to test the coil, it was the process of elimination. We talked about it and after everybody had put in their two-bits worth, I decided to go get a new coil, and they agreed with me. For $25.86, we were lucky and the new coil solved the problem. It was very possible that it wouldn’t, but the decision to try a new one was arrived at unamiously by those four guys and myself. I know that there was at least two hundred years of mechanical experience behind that decision so it wasn’t an off-hand decision.

Coils don’t go bad that often. In the sixty plus years I’ve been working on cars, I think I’ve had two maybe three coils coils go bad. So, this was an exception, and something that I would have had one hell of time figuring out on my own.

I want to thank all of you for reading this, but don’t think I haven’t let those gentlemen who came a long ways to help me out how much I appreciated what they did.

Thanks again, everyone,

Mike
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:16 AM   #15
BILL WILLIAMSON

"Sometimes" a Fellow that knows cars other than a Model A, can be great help, with a different "take" on it.
The other day, I "think" I hurd my Dog barking out the FIRING ORDER of a Model A! Like: WOOF----WOOF WOOF----WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF---WOOF WOOF WOOF
Bill W.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:46 AM   #16
Tinbasher

The social part of working on cars is a big plus these days. One hundred years ago it was people getting together on a Sunday. It's about the fellowship with people with the same interest. Plus Old Car people are a special group because there working to maintain these cars and what goes with them for the next generation. JP
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote