Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
Gumpy

Arrow Amount OF TIME TO BUILD YOUR CAR

It took me 11 years to build the 40 coupe in my avatar only after i retired could i finish it....gump
"I believe God is managing affairs and that He doesn't need any advice from me. With God in Charge, I believe everything will work out for the best in the end. So what is there to worry about". Quote by Henry Ford
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
Kube

Default Re: Amount OF TIME TO BUILD YOUR CAR

My restorations take between 12 - 16 months. These are all ground up projects, very high point (authentic) restorations. That 12 - 16 months is not "full time" but equates to (approximately) between 900 - 1400 hours.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
TomT/Williamsburg

Since my builds are not "restorations" but drivers that represent a theme or time period, and the fact that I'm not retired, definitely has its pluses and minuses on build times. My 40 coupe took about 2.5 years part time to "rebuild" not restore to a late 50s theme, my avatar took 7 years (time and money were definitely issues along with my quest to make it as authentic an early 50s hot rod that I could make it), my present 40 p-up has so far taken 2+ and it will be a more early 60s theme. But, retirement is getting closer and it will be done sooner rather than later I expect because of that fact. I also get side tracked due to family, other interests, and other issues like just not wanting to do anything at that time - it is a hobby for me and I don't want that to change and make it "my day job". I have a 32 5-window in the wings that needs tons of work - we'll see how long that takes me!

What I do try and do is do a little something (if not more) in the garage whenever possible - that really helps keep me focused - even if it's not on the present project .
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #4
Kube

Hey Tom, I completely understand (and relate well to) your post in regard to other commitments, etc. taking a toll on the time frame required to complete a car.
When I was younger it seemed I could never get the requisite amount of cash AND time to coincide. It seemed I always had one or the other but never both.
Being retired does make it a bit easier to concentrate on my hobby. Still, like you, there remains commitments beyond the shop. I suspect that will never change, nor would I desire it to.
Currently I am restoring three cars simultaneously. One is near the finish mark, another is down to the bare bones and lastly, one has just been pulled in and has not yet been disassembled. I have come to realize I thrive best in overwhelming" situations. Hey, I bring it upon myself
That reminds me, I'd better get out there and get something done.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
Ken Crans

I have about 6 years into the F-1, the longest it has taken me to restore a truck. Would love to have done by August for the Woodward Dream Cruise. Ken
Ken Crans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
Detonator

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
It took seven years to build my roadster pick-up. It's a late fifties-style build and a lot of the time was spent hunting down correct parts. I was working full time, too, had kids in soccer, etc etc. My buddies gave me so much lip about how long it was taking that I decided to print up a T-shirt -- and sell it to 'em

Old 01-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
uncle max

Ten years on my '39 Standard coupe.
80% finished... 80% left to go.

The '37 Tudor is done and fun.
uncle max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #8
L78CHEVELLE

Well, for my two cents there are different levels of restoration. The last original unrestored barn find '40 car I found and made into an original, dependable, unrestored great driver took me two months. No paint work, seats redone, fuel and brake system completely redone, fluids changed, engine unstuck, valve train pieces replaced, full tune up, two pieces of glass replaced, tie rod ends, king pins, wipers redone, tires, tubes, and powder coat the rims. I worked about 4 days a week and about 5 hours a day. I'm very familiar with the '40 model Ford products and this makes it much easier for me.
L78CHEVELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
40grit

Are you guys familiar with the Lynn Yearwood theory of Automobile Restoration? According to Lynn, any Car can be built in 2 years. The theary is you go to the garage one time every day even if you do nothing but take out or put in 2 bolts. 2 bolts a day equals 14 a week, 62 a month or 728 a year. That is 1456 bolts out and back in in 2 years ....hence, The Lynn Yearwood Theory of auto restoration.

Never made it work myself. 6 years for mine.

John L
Old 01-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #10
cmbrucew

I'm very familiar with the '40 model Ford products and this makes it much easier for me.

This is a real advantage, not one most of us have.
I do have 2 1950 F1s, but the rest are all different.
If you drive your project, it is truly never finished.

Bruce

Works good
Lasts long time
cmbrucew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #11
trainguy

Kube,3 cars at the same time,Wow.I find working on more than one car at a time diminishes the sense of accomplishment,not to mention the mixing of parts.But more power to you if you can pull it off,and it seems you con.Phil
trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #12
G.M.

In 1979 I restored a 29 roadster body off in 10 weeks. After finishing my wife said it would be fun to drive it to Florida. We drove it 1,200 miles in 2 days at 55 MPH. About 100 miles north of Tampa on I-75 I noticed the speed dropping and looked at the telephone poles and they were going by at the same speed. Speedometer cable broke. After I was back a few days I pulled it out and the square end was broke. I welded and ground a square back on and it's still working. G.M.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #13
Scott H in Wheaton

I took from 1990 to 2000 to build my 66 GT Mustang coupe. Running a business working on other guy's Mustangs leaves little time for your own.

Now that I'm out of car business and into roofing sales I still have little time during the warm months but its easier to get the enthusiasm to work on my truck.

I'm into year 3 on my 36 pickup and closing in on the body/paint. The mechanicals are all done.
Scott H in Wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #14
petes 50 merc

started 1985 finished my merc 1995 its almost time to start on it agian.
petes 50 merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #15
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbrucew View Post
If you drive your project, it is truly never finished.
That's what I'm talking about...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #16
Vic Piano

I like to drive our cars/trucks so, as a result, they are under constant "restoration". I guess I'll continue to drive and restore our vehicles, (that is) as long as bailing wire and duct tape are still available...LOL
Old 01-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #17
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainguy View Post
Kube,3 cars at the same time,Wow.I find working on more than one car at a time diminishes the sense of accomplishment,not to mention the mixing of parts.But more power to you if you can pull it off,and it seems you con.Phil
I will admit that I am afflicted with a bit (some might say a lot) of OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder). Fortunately, I have managed to harness & apply this trait to my hobby vs. for example, washing my hands 150 times each day.
That is no doubt the main reason that "forces" me to restore the cars to the level I insist of myself.

So, it is second nature for me to keep exacting inventory of each vehicles parts, assemblies, etc. separate from one another.
My sense of accomplishment is only diminished by the fact I am never 100% satisfied with my finished works. I always find areas I feel I could have done better.
I am self motivated enough so that all three will be done in a relative decent time frame. In fact, doing two or more at a time kind of helps me in that if I get frustarted on one vehicle, I can simply move to a different project.
Today? Installed one rear fender and the front seat on one and rebuilt and refinished the generator for another.
Don't get me wrong, there are days that I simply get over whelmed and little (nothing?) gets accomplished.

I won't claim my way of enjoying this hobby is the best way. In fact, I would think the opposite to be true for most. Still, this is precisely the way I get the most reward from it.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #18
old henry 1934

i never really put a time frame on my restorations, maybe i should. although i do have certain goals, as long as i make progress and the work that i did get done, was done correctly i am happy with that. although i don't work on them as much as i should, i do have (like most of you) my family, my work, and a house to maintain. its easy to tear a car apart, but finishing it is the challange. look how many cars that you know about or even bought because that person lost interest or even didn't have the amount of time or skill that is required to finish a car, so they shoved it in a corner or pushed it outside. Jim

Last edited by old henry 1934; 01-01-2013 at 03:50 PM.
old henry 1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #19
19Fordy

Kube, It's great to find a fellow who really does strive for perfection. You're the man!
Oh, I restored my 40 from 1973-1988. Way too long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02566 (Medium).JPG (33.7 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02565 (Small).JPG (36.2 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02567b.jpg (219.8 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg fortyford (Medium).jpg (89.9 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07777 (Small)best.jpg (72.5 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 11-30-2014 at 05:05 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #20
bige386

I have about 2 years into my 46 tudor sedan. It was in good shape when I bought it but I wanted to make it my own. When I bought the 46 it was dark blue with blue garnish moldings and blue window tint blue rims. All that blue was giving me the blue's. I wanted to change the color to burgundy body and rims. Metallic gray garnish molding and dash steering column. Removed all of the window tint which was a pain in the behind. I also removed the complete front end and pulled the motor and went through it. POR15ed the frame and front axle. Painted the car and put everything back together. The last thing I did to it was bought one of them gas tank door moldings for it and installed it to which I don't like the looks of it and will be removing it and probably resell it. Now I just drive it when ever I can.