Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-28-2019, 11:12 AM   #41
expavr

Default Re: Risk of using old (over 10 years) tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by hook00pad View Post
I had a friend who was bringing his very nice diesel pusher motorhome back to Kentucky, after wintering in sunny Florida. His wife and her twin sister were with him. He blew a front right tire, while driving about 65 which caused him to lose control and ran off the right side of I-10 near Tallahassee. The tire came apart, taking out the propane tank which was near it, igniting that fuel source. They all three died. Not sure how old the tires were, but the MH was over 10 yrs old and the tires had been replaced. Tires do fail without warning! Especially when older. I have blown at least three rear tires on my unit over the years. Thankfully never a front.
I had a blowout on the outside rear tire of our coach and when I took it to our tire shop to get a replacement was told that both tires on that side of the coach would have to be replaced due to the difference in tread thickness and tire diameter. They said it was unsafe to operate the coach with rear duallys that have mismatched tire diameters. That had not occurred to me, but it makes sense as one tire would be taking more of the load.
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:38 AM   #42
tubman

I blew out a front tire on my old '70 Winnebago Class "A" motor home years ago at 70 MPH on the interstate on my way to a vintage race. The vehicle became almost uncontrollable. It kept pulling to the right, no matter how hard I fought the steering wheel. Luckily, we have a wide flat shoulder so I was able to get it stopped with no damage, but it was hairy 15 seconds (seemed like an hour).
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 02:15 PM   #43
RalphM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipswanson View Post
What about the 35?
I guess I’ll be working on a fuel filler guard for that one!
I think the key to preventing, preventable tire failures is maintenance. Like on any part in an old car that can fail. Regular inspections and preventive maintenance.
A good pre trip can thwart a lot of problems.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 02:28 PM   #44
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
I think the key to preventing, preventable tire failures is maintenance. Like on any part in an old car that can fail. Regular inspections and preventive maintenance.
I think a lot of tires fail due to running hot because of too low pressure. You can't always tell just by looking at it or tapping the sidewall if the pressure is sufficient.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 03:38 PM   #45
hotcoupe

Deuce roadster, i'm glad your friends escaped unharmed, and i'm not trying to beat a dead horse. You stated that the wheels were later model 15", did the wheels have the safety bead, i couldn't tell from the image.
Thanx,
Tom
hotcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 04:32 PM   #46
deuce_roadster

What year did the safety bead become standard on wheels? I will ask him what year the wheels were. I am not sure what that looks like, the stock 55 chev wheels that I took off my Brand X convertible that had tubless tires looks like any other wheel to me. Same with the 8" and 7" Cragars I put on.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:11 PM   #47
hotcoupe

Deuce roadster, i'm not sute what year they startef using the safety bead. I believe it is referred to as a"JJ" rim and will be stamped on the inside of the rim. It is a raised rib around the perimeter of the rim adjacent to the raised edge where the tire bead seals. It's function is to keep the tire bead on contact with the sealing flange on the wheel. If you are not using that safety rim with tubeless tires, you can wind up with that same situation that your friend had, tire wadfed up around the wheel.
Tom
hotcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:38 PM   #48
philipswanson

Quote:
Me too. I have an in line filter coming off the tank on the 40 wagon. I need to build a guard around it in case something hit it under there. On tires, I found a nice modern radial from Cooper that looks good on old cars. They are called Trendsetter SE. It has smooth sidewalls just like classic tires and was made for older cars. I am running a set on the 40 from Discount Tire. You need at least a 5" wide wheel though to run them. I am running F100 wheels on the wagon. They are steel belted radials and under $100 a tire.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:01 PM   #49
NealinCA

My dad had a rear tire blow out on his 40 coupe a few years ago. The tire came apart, tore up the rear fender pretty bad and wrapped around the rear axle and nearly tore off the rear brake line. He was able to get off the highway safely, but it could have been much worse.

A friend recently had a front tire blow out on his 48 F1 panel truck. When the tire blew, it shot him into the fast lane of the highway. Luckily there were no other cars nearby, so he was able to correct, slow down and get off the side. He said he was very close to a roll over situation.

The common denominator was old STEEL BELTED RADIAL tires. The problem with these is that any small cracks in the sidewall or tread will allow moisture to enter the tire casing. When the steel belts get wet, they begin to rust. I am sure you have all seen what happens to a rusty wire when you bend it back and forth a few times. Radial tire side walls are designed to flex, giving a smooth ride. When rusty steel belts flex, they eventually break. When enough wires in the belt break, they cause the tire to separate, and finally “Blow Out”. As Mart said, sometimes you can feel the separation and catch it in time. Other times not. When the steel belts do come apart at speed, you have cables swinging around, taking out anything in their path. Fenders, brake lines, fuel lines, filler necks, etc.

Old bias ply tires don’t pose this threat, for a couple of reasons. First, they don’t have the failures due to moisture and rust, and even if they did come apart, the cotton or nylon cords won’t cause the damage that a steel belt will.

I would seriously think about the age of any STEEL BELTED RADIAL tires you have. 7-10 years is about it on a radial. Bias ply are another story, especially when stored indoors. I’ve seen 30-40 year old Bias Ply tires that I’d run without hesitation.

Neal

Last edited by NealinCA; 08-28-2019 at 10:50 PM.
NealinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:10 PM   #50
corvette8n

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2016/0...ld-is-too-old/

Hemmings take on old tires.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:33 PM   #51
Tinker

I guess you could have a blowout on a brand new tire too.

I usually buy new tires when I get a old ford first. Maybe more for design/look then anything.

I keep vehicles in storage (sun damage) and put them jack stands in the winter to take weight off the tire. Run 6plys on the truck. should hold up much better.

It's hard to judge a tires age by yrs vs how they are treated. If you leave it sitting outside in a texas summer for one yr. You might need new tires that next yr.

Take a inventory of your tires. If they are sidewall checking or worn, buy new tires.

Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:45 PM   #52
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette8n View Post
Not to be that guy... but the article ultimately comes down to tire manufacturers suggestions. ]

10yrs is probably a good rule of thumb for guys that store cars and baby them. Maybe more. Depends on how you drive and how you care for you tires.

When in doubt, replace. As mentioned a new tire can blow too....

Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 02:54 AM   #53
Mart

NealinCA makes a very good point. I do run older tyres but they are older bias or crossply as we say here. The good thing on an open wheeled (fenderless) car is that the tyres are easily inspected. Not so easy on a low full fendered car.

Neal's feelings mirror my own exactly.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:12 AM   #54
40 Deluxe

Quote:
I run old tires, best solution I have is to not run any fenders, there’s nothing to hit if it blows!
...except for your left arm hanging out the window!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 04:49 AM   #55
dumb person

R.I.P. that car.
And I'm just here replacing my 65 year old hard as rock crossplys because the tread was low.
They'd been looked after, but if they hit a big enough pothole i suspect the cords would've broken. They were getting pretty past their best before date.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:12 AM   #56
Tom-MI

For what it is worth, I made up rear shields for my '35 to protect my rear fenders from being chewed up by debris thrown up by road rash. It also serves as a protector to the fuel neck. It was simple to make and I didn't need to drill any holes. I just used what holes and bolts that were factory available.

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1671.jpg (67.5 KB, 50 views)
Tom-MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:54 AM   #57
RalphM

Great looking piece Tom! I think I’m missing that brace though.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 04:14 PM   #58
34pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipswanson View Post
You are taking a big chance, especially if they have been in the sun much. Then it's no longer a chance but a certainty.

I don't drive my old cars over 45-50 mph. I avoid 4 lane highways and enjoy the back roads and local streets. I have only had one blowout in 55 years of driving and that was a recap so I will take my chances.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:20 PM   #59
Lawrie

On a recent trip out west to Mt Isa in our 33 and caravan, we stopped at a rest area for smoko, another couple came and talked to us, they were towing a modern caravan with a modern 4WD,
He had run over some debre on the road and something went under the 4Wd and caravan with a clunk clunk.he stopped to look but could not see any damage ,so drove off,later at 100klm it got a vibration,,so stopped and looked again,nothing ,so he drove off,a few miles down the road one of the caravan tyres exploded,the remains of the tyre carcas ended up inside the caravan after smashing its way through the floor and cuboard,wheel was inside a steel mudgaurd(fender), that was also destroyed.as well as the tins of beans that were all over the inside of the caravan,
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:35 PM   #60
tubman

It sounds like he should have spent a little more due diligence find out what was going on.

There is now substitute for knowledge and maintenance.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote