Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-07-2019, 10:36 PM   #21
Nosetime

Default Re: think i got f@#$ed

Same thing happens on the Hamb if you post a wanted ad. You will get someone trying to scam you, be careful and check their number of posts first thing.

Last edited by Nosetime; 03-08-2019 at 09:21 AM.
Nosetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 12:11 AM   #22
Dodge

If its any thing significant I ask for a phone number and get a feel for the person also.
I haven't lost any money yet but have been tried to be scammed several times.
The ones I like the best is when you ask for a picture of something and it has the same
stuff in the background as an item on ebay that was sold ages ago.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:23 AM   #23
Oldbluoval

Finding blame with the site?
Uhhh don't think so!
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:42 AM   #24
tinman080

When you are dealing on here, eBay, or Craigslist contact is the key. Request different things, such as shots of the item from the opposite side. Have them e-mailed. a weird or out of country address? Pass. I always respond to extra picture or info requests. Anyone balking at such requests I personally would be leery of. Most guys I send it and have not been stiffed yet.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:18 AM   #25
Bill's Auto Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
I shouldn't warn others? looks like he got a couple of us already, and trying to get some more of us. ryan will fix I hope yes, for now. they just come back with a new name and email addy

You should definitely warn everyone else after making every attempt to resolve the issue & giving the seller a reasonable amount of time. Things happen in life to people. It is clear you did everything you could.

Ryan should be notified (as he was) so he can remove that scammer. I am sure he does his best, but there is no way anyone could keep them all off of the forums. I too am on many forums that require a minimum amount of posts before selling, that may be something Ryan may consider.

Here is a notification on the Hamb at the top of all the sales & services headings posted by Ryan himself :

Hey guys, we continue to have issues with a scammer here in the classifieds. I recommend two things to keep your buying experience safe and free of fraud:

1. Do not pay for anything by money order or check. Stay safe and use PayPal. It's really the safest way to buy anything over the internet.

2. Do not buy or trust anyone with zero posts. Typically, about 90% of the fraudulent classifieds users we discover have zero posts and haunt the "wanted section" for their victims.

At least I am confident there will be no funny business on any of his forums, by him or other Mods. There are some forums that take money or favors to make negative comments about some people disappear. Unfortunately this is the world we live in. However, I will continue to say we have (for the most part) the best folks in the world in our hobby & I believe it happens more in other sectors than it does in ours.

God Bless
Bill

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...closed.614419/

1955 Chevy Altered W.B. Gasser
1955 Nash Amb. Cust. Lemans
1957 Pontiac Chieftain 2 DR HT
1964 Pontiac Grand Prix 2 DR HT
1966 Pontiac Catalina Conv
1966 AMC Ambassador DPL 2 DR HT
1966 AMC Ambassador Cust 2DR HT
1967 AMC Marlin
1967 Toronado
1973 Chevy Nova Full Chassis Car
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS 2 DR Coupe
2007 Cadillac XLR-V Supercharged Roadster

Last edited by Bill's Auto Works; 03-08-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Bill's Auto Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:39 AM   #26
ronn

Not to disagree with you Bill, but I dont accept paypal.

buyer can screw up item and then say they want a refund.

no protection for seller. plus 4% cost
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:02 AM   #27
Railcarmover
BANNED

I've sold cars with paypal,bought parts from folks with a check after receiving them,have done business with a handshake.Its the great thing about car guys,99% of them are stand up,values based honest folks.

A con man gets nowhere without a suckers greed.
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:11 AM   #28
art ebeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
I've sold cars with paypal,bought parts from folks with a check after receiving them,have done business with a handshake.Its the great thing about car guys,99% of them are stand up,values based honest folks.

A con man gets nowhere without a suckers greed.
That last sentence is usually true because the deal is too good to be true, but not always. In the case of this scammer his prices were inline with what they should have been. I ended up paying about the same from someone else for parts that were not a once in a lifetime chance to purchase. This con man discovered a new supply of victims in us looking to purchase parts. I would not be surprised to find him doing the same on other collector car sites whether Model T's or Corvettes. Just think what answering WTB ads on a dozen sites can amount to at just a few dollars for each one. Art
art ebeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:13 AM   #29
Dick Steinkamp

Not to disagree with you Bill, but I dont accept paypal.

buyer can screw up item and then say they want a refund.

no protection for seller. plus 4% cost

In the post above yours, Bill is talking about BUYING using PayPal...not SELLING. There is very good buyers' protection with PayPal.

The downside of NOT using PayPal as a seller is that it will limit your market. Many buyers see requests for cash, checks, money orders, gift cards etc as not only a possible scam but also time delays and work to get the required payment item, mail it, wait for it to be received and cleared, and then the time to receive the item.

It may be worth it to you, however. After all, it's YOUR item to sell any way you want at whatever price you want to ask.

Last edited by Dick Steinkamp; 03-08-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Dick Steinkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:33 AM   #30
vern hodgson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
I've heard of this sort of thing happening and I'm always wary but I feel safer buying from a FB member than someone else. Not entirely without doubt but all of the deals I've done here have turned out well. I'm confident that the two I am waiting on now will be OK too. I don't have to do many deals to have more than one in transit at any one time - it takes anything between 2 ond 5 months for stuff to get here (7 months, one time).
I wouldn't be surprised if Ryan hasn't removed this guy already.
FB membership is not an iron clad guarantee, I had posted an ad on FB .for an item and month or so later was called by a guy who had what I wanted, in excellent original condition. I was so close to buying, just send m.o. and they would be in the mail. Luckily I questioned it on the barn, several members advised having a local member check it out. Turned out the address was an empty lot. No sale. I posted a caution on the barn and one member was adamant an FB member would never do that. Due diligence gentlemen.
vern hodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:37 AM   #31
54vicky

as vern stated DUE DILIGENCE is your duty nice of you to warn peopel but if you had d.one your job it would never have happened. do not try laying the blame on other people or the barn.first clue although not cast in stone would have been someone joining the day they post reply DING DING.I am sure Ryan is pissed about this shit as most are but you are to blame for not doing your part.a lot of people use google to check address etc use tools at your disposal.you will find sympathy between shit and syncopation in future
54vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 01:08 PM   #32
Beater

thismorning he has sent another email calling me every name in the book.some that I haven't heard before ether, in broken English defintly an east indian or Pakistani scammer.

Last edited by Beater; 03-08-2019 at 02:01 PM.
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 02:00 PM   #33
Ryan
Administrator

Man... that pisses me off... So sorry to hear about it.

Here's a few pointers to keep ya safe:

1. Never, ever complete a transaction by wiring money or sending a check to a seller. Don't do it under any circumstances. Why? When you wire money or send a check, you have zero protection.

Instead, use PayPal exclusively. When you pay by PayPal, you are protected by the service and if the deal goes bad, you have an avenue to get your money back.

2. Do not pay by PayPal "as a gift". This essentially removes your protection.

3. Never buy from anyone with zero posts...
Old 03-08-2019, 02:02 PM   #34
Beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Man... that pisses me off... So sorry to hear about it.

Here's a few pointers to keep ya safe:

1. Never, ever complete a transaction by wiring money or sending a check to a seller. Don't do it under any circumstances. Why? When you wire money or send a check, you have zero protection.

Instead, use PayPal exclusively. When you pay by PayPal, you are protected by the service and if the deal goes bad, you have an avenue to get your money back.

2. Do not pay by PayPal "as a gift". This essentially removes your protection.

3. Never buy from anyone with zero posts...
yes, lesson learned. its my own fault, I didn't even think about it here.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:39 PM   #35
160B

The scammer has been banned!!

added link for john123

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/member.php?u=96343

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?

Last edited by 160B; 03-08-2019 at 04:34 PM. Reason: added link for john123
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 04:25 PM   #36
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by 160B View Post
The scammer has been banned!!
Good work, Ryan. Is there anything to stop him starting a new identity though.
In my book, zero posts = zero business.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:24 PM   #37
Beater

im sure he will be back. wouldn't surprise me if he has a new name and is here already actually. just the way they work
Old 03-08-2019, 07:05 PM   #38
Midwest Tin

I have always ask them for photos of the part or parts they say they have that I'm looking for. NO photos no money! I had a fellow send me some photos of a part that was on a friends web site. Be careful!
Midwest Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:35 PM   #39
holdover

WOW, I feel you pain. I have only been scammed one time and that was on ebay about 5 years ago. I purchased an item that was a bit less expensive than others were selling it for, it was a 300.00 purchase, sent the paypal no item , tried to contact seller no reply. I had checked their feed back and it was all good for small dollar items, nothing past 20.00. Well it never came, no communication, filed a claim and got my money back. That is the reason I only use PP for online purchases, except for people that I have dealt with before like on the FB, then we usually deal with a check to save them the charge. I only use a credit card with established businesses like Snyders, Midway USA, LLBean etc. Things are getting worse and more of a buyer beware world for people that you don't know.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:03 PM   #40
BillCNC

Paypal or US Postal Money order are the safest way of buying and/or selling.
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote