Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Afraid to post barners...

I got to thinking today about the posting of questions on Fordbarn.

I wonder just how many of you, when reading a post of your interest, have some great knowledge in the subject but are not willing to share that knowledge with the rest of us and why is that?

Just courious.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
Pete

Default Re: Afraid to post barners...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post

I wonder just how many of you, when reading a post of your interest, have some great knowledge in the subject but are not willing to share that knowledge with the rest of us and why is that?

Just courious.

Pluck
It doesn't take a Scotland Yard detective to figure that out.
There are quite a few people on here that essentially know all there is to know about model A's. Then there are the ones that don't know their ass from first base but are quick to give all kinds of wrong info. Then there are the thread hi-jackers. Post some info right off the Ford blueprints and see how long it takes for some dimwit to start an argument about it.
It becomes too big of a hassle to answer the simplest question after awhile.
If you think it's bad here, go over on the Ahooga forum and look around.

Last edited by Pete; 12-09-2013 at 01:18 AM.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
silversink

We fear the bully's and grammar cops
Old 12-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
Rowdy
BANNED

I fear nothing, but often don't post answers after being bashed several times for always having parts for sale. To an extent this is an ungreatful lot at times IMHO. The hobbie is alot more fun when not being harrassed by the same people you are trying to help. Rod
Old 12-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #5
Joe K

I have been around the Model A for a while now. The better part of 40 years. If not in fact (having to work for a living during the day), certainly in spirit. I'm fortunate to also be a graduate mechanical engineer with an interest in things mechanical and historical -AND for doing the work with my own hands.

Probably the closest I have come to giving the board the middle finger was related to discussion of whether a drain tube is REQUIRED (at threat of puddle in the driveway) from the engine rear main.

Frankly I was a little put off by those (and there was more than one) who claimed that I was daft and certainly needed to get more experience in life if not turn in my license to exist AT ALL for making a claim that I could see not reason for the tube. And my Model A didn't leak a drop WITHOUT the tube and with 70K miles on a worn out engine.

And that was the fact. Only on opening that engine for the first time (to tighten bearings) and comparing the pix with the pix in the Pages Model A Ford book did I know the tube was even missing. It went back together without the tube and existed as such until rebuilt when the rebuilder came up with a new tube for me.

It wasn't so much the differing opinion (and I can take that as opines can differ) but rather the attitude on which it was presented. And the hubris of those who claimed otherwise.

It was like no other possibility can exist EXCEPT their perception of the world. And how dare I think otherwise?

But I chalked it all up to the fact that some come though life and develop a hard shell (or sharp edges) and others yield to pressure. I consider myself somewhere in between on this. And no doubt others will be harder and softer. I just happened to find the hard ones.

And that happens too.

And I concluded that this forum is like many - and like a party with a gathering of like minds. Some minds you admire and respect and would wish to meet again - and some minds you would just as soon had not showed for the party.

I don't think the experience has held me back much. I seem to have something to contribute and I count myself fortunate the board is (generally) patient enough to let me have my say.

Just as I am patient for these others.

It's a relationship I hope to continue.

Joe K
Old 12-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
SteveB31

I think sometimes, some folks are reluctant to post, as the answers they get often consist of 10 wrong answers, 5 sarcastic answers, 10 sarcastic comments to the sarcastic answers, and 1 correct answer that is challenged by the 10 guys that gave the wrong answer. So......it is easier just to pick up the phone and ask someone that knows the answer.

Too much ridicule
Too much sarcasm.
Not enough substance.

Now....this is not always the case. Many, many great questions and great answers. Just a few sour apples spoil it for others.
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #7
ford3

i dont give a shit about the bullys or the grammer cops, the bullys dont know squat and dont want any one to find that out, so they try to keep the real model a guys from answering the questions, the grammer cops are the ones who think they are smarter than any one posting in here, they also dont know shit and hide that by changing the post to hide thier ignorance, Ryan should kick both there asses out of here,we need only the ones who are interested in helping any one who posts a question on here
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #8
48fordnut

Fairly new here, and extremely new to Model a. There is lots to be learned, and some of the older guys share. Some times the stroke of the key board does not come across as the spoken word.
I'm on the HAMB, as well and mostly it's taken with a grain of salt. Lots of youngsters there.
48fordnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #9
quickchange

I hope we all melow as we age ?? I have learned like a good politician to not to be radical on here & go with the flow, However really appreciate the info & the odd bun fight is ok, Happy to help anyone if i can & know after 40 years ill still get it wrong .
Main thing is to keep the A,s alive & not to be too narrow minded , we have proggressed in the past 85 years, & not everyones views are the same , GIVE & you shall REAP , Derek from a hot sunny NZ sitting by the pool drinking cold beers ,
quickchange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #10
BlueSunoco

Steve I see people getting more and more violent towards each other, on all of the social web sites. Not sure just why, Fordbarn
is fairly civil but sometimes even IT gets ugly. A few here want to get nasty with others for what ever reason. I've been watching Fordbarn for quite a long time.

That would be my guess as to your question. Easier to be a lurker and just wade through all of the postings to decide who knows what they are talking about and ditch the rest.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post

Just courious.

Pluck

It happens at times. Some posts and responses are argumentative, sarcastic and down right nasty. That puts some folks off and has probably caused some to go elsewhere. Some responses are just plain wrong, but, the vast majority are correct as there is usually more than one way to do something. This is a tough medium to communicate through and its easy to get things confused. But, what I have found over the years is that there is a wealth of valuable information to be found here and most fellas are eager to try and help.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:05 PM   #12
ronn

Some questions are interesting one week and forgotten the next-depends where you're at during that moment of your life....
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #13
WTSHNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversink View Post
We fear the bully's and grammar cops

I believe you meant "bullies."

Sorry. I had to.

-Tim
WTSHNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #14
marc hildebrant

I have slowed way down posting here. To be honest, I'm tired of reading the same type of replies from both the "Know it All" and the Bullies...

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #15
KR500

I value the term from posters who start with In My Opinion, this at least tells me the poster is not a know it all but does give credible info usually from experience. There are fortunately many of the guys who post and I value the knowledge from posters such as Tom Wesenberg, Marco T., Bill Williamson, and others. A fix suggested by others doesn't always suit the situation and only experience can help you do a fix. There are no free scholarships from the school of experience.
KR500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #16
Logan

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc hildebrant View Post
I have slowed way down posting here. To be honest, I'm tired of reading the same type of replies from both the "Know it All" and the Bullies...

Marc
Me too. Seems like there's a handful of people (or less) that just have the mentality that they are never wrong, and put others down for their opinions. Personally I think there's many different ways to skin a cat, and as long as you get the same end result who cares which way the job was done. Also those same people tend to "police" the website and It turns a lot of people off from posting in fear of getting bitched at by people who have no right to tell someone what they can or cannot post. I'm a pretty easy going guy, I'm like a duck, if it doesn't rain, I'll walk. I post when a certain thread interest me, or I may even just pm the member who posted the thread, and give them my response that way, so I can avoid ridicule from select few.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #17
trulyvintage

Lightbulb No one knows everything

No one knows everything ...

Just ask your wife if you doubt that ....

Those that can help - usually do ...

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #18
Gary WA

I for one am not afraid of ANYONE on this site. At 64 I've been into Model a's since 12yrs old. The answers I give and post and questions are the way I do it, and there are others. If I'm wrong i will tell you. No one on this site or another site is 100% correct with any answer, I don't care who you are! Feel free to come for a visit to my house and I'll tell you the same to your face. Have a great Day! Keep those A's Running!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02.jpg (76.3 KB, 20 views)
Old 12-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #19
ford3

what you guys dont under stand is Ryan is the only one who can say what is or insnt posted on here, the rest are just wanabes, and they have no right critizing any one, just tell the the jerks to kiss your a** and go play some where else, post what you want and ignore the other idiots, dont let them chase you off this site, if you do they win and the rest of us lose, if you show them up for what they are even jerks will be embaressed enough to shut uo or leave, jmho
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #20
whizzernick

JOE K
I agree with most of you but you( JOE K ) brought up somthing. drain tube in rear main.
I know nothing about model A--- I am a V-8 person----but I have been told the tube is so as when you are on a hill the rear main will get oil. Ive also been told that a V-8
is designed to leak a table spoon or is that tea spoon of oil everytime you shut down.
All my V8 cars do it. I was also told that the reason for bent cotter pin in the bottom of bell houseing was so oil could leak out and pin would keep hole clean.
Is this the same info or corect info for model A
whizzernick is offline   Reply With Quote