Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-03-2019, 10:38 PM   #1
Conaway2

Default Oil pump rebuild

I rebuilt the oil pump in my A 2300 miles (and 30 years...) ago. I’m thinking that it would be a good idea to consider doing this again, even though very few miles have been driven since the last rebuild. Thoughts ???
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:44 PM   #2
sethkestenbaum

Default Re: Oil pump rebuild

after 30 years, why not? You will probably want to drop the pan to check how thing are looking after all this time and a pump rebuild is easy and can only help you out. More importantly, why aren't you driving the car more?
Old 11-04-2019, 06:29 AM   #3
macdonge

A related question regarding the oil pan. Can the inner baffle be removed to make sludge clean out easier? looks like it can just be popped and then back after cleaning. Am in the middle of engine disassembly (after head gasket blew out) and will be rebuilding the oil pump before it all goes back together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
macdonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:57 AM   #4
WHN

Baffle can be removed. I just turn pan over and drop on news paper. It pops out. Do not drop from to high, you don’t want to damage.

2300 mile oil pump rebuild? Should not need it, but why not. I would be very interested in hearing what the bottom of the oil pan looked like after 30 years and what oil was being used.

Our 1929 has been driven only 3,870 miles in 46 years. It is driven every year, has the oil changed every year, and is greased and serviced every year. Kept in heated garage, and has only spent one night out side in 46 years. Has not been in the rain either in 46 years. Very rarely left in the sun for more than a couple of hours. Spoiled?

Last edited by WHN; 11-04-2019 at 10:20 AM.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:58 AM   #5
marty in Ohio

Sure, the inner baffle, with the dipper tray, can be taken out. Just throw it down on the grass, up side down, and it should pop out. You should be able to find this in the archives as it's been discussed here many times.
Marty
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:41 AM   #6
Conaway2

Thanks for the responses. I did recently swap a rebuilt engine into the car (old engine ran fine but had a cracked block) and had the pan off. The pan was actually quite clean after removing the baffle - probably because I kept the oil changed even though I wasn’t driving the car much. Now that I’ve retired and moved to an area much better for taking the car our for a spin.
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:21 PM   #7
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

Be careful with the splash pan removal and install. Very sharp edges. Need a lot of band aids.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:46 PM   #8
F.M.
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conaway2 View Post
I rebuilt the oil pump in my A 2300 miles (and 30 years...) ago. I’m thinking that it would be a good idea to consider doing this again, even though very few miles have been driven since the last rebuild. Thoughts ???
Over Kill !! "Dont fix it if it Ain"t broke"
F.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:17 PM   #9
gary678*

The best way to remove a baffle plate is with a 2x4 and a 8 or 10" C clamp. Place the 2x4 across the oil pan and then hook the bottom of the C clamp through the pump hole. Slowly tighten the C clamp as it pulls up on the baffle plate. If it does not come out immediately loosen the clamp and grab the plate again on the other side of the pump hole. Apply pressure again and it will pop right out with no damage to the plate. Dropping it on grass or concrete to remove the plate often doesn't work; if it does then you could have a messy pile of sludge that has to be cleaned (it also will kill the grass). Dropping it on concrete or asphalt can also damage the pan. The 2x4/C clamp method always works with no mess, no damage, and the sludge remains in the pan for easy removal into an acceptable container. Try it... you will love it!
gary678* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:49 PM   #10
30 Closed Cab PU

You can put the pan in a garbage bag if trying the drop method. Gary's method works. I have read another method using a baseball bat on teh pump hole used to pry teh baffle out. I do not know if there is a chance of warping the baffle or causing damage using a baseball bat.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:34 PM   #11
sethkestenbaum

https://oldcarroadtrip.wordpress.com...ning-painting/

Here is a link to my oil pan drop and clean. I used the baseball method after the other methods failed.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:56 PM   #12
J Franklin

With the few miles on your pump I would still consider it as a newly rebuilt pump. You can certainly inspect it with minimal disassembly.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:25 PM   #13
Beater

id say your wasteing your time rebuilding the pump, it is new still spent the time it would take rebuilding it to drive it
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:36 AM   #14
macdonge

Thanks for the ideas on baffle removal. It was in there quite snug but I was able to pry it out by hand without too much effort. I do have big(ish) hands and a strong grip though. I can see how the other techniques would work as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
macdonge is offline   Reply With Quote