Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-24-2018, 04:27 PM   #1
Kube

Default registering a car in WI. with a NY registartion

I am thinking of purchasing a car out of New York. It has a proper and current transferable registration (not a title). Has anyone done this (in Wisconsin) and if so, any issues?

Thanks.

Mike
Old 02-24-2018, 05:54 PM   #2
cas3

Default Re: registering a car in WI. with a NY registartion

well, i'll be the first to go off track as i am not WI, but MN will not take that as a title. they will have you bond the car. not that big a deal, just more money. i believe any state that uses a title, will require a title and not just registration
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:11 PM   #3
42guy

I am not sure when NY started to issue titles. I know it was in the 70's. So cars registered in NY mfg. before that date did not have title, just a registration.
42guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:44 PM   #4
1931 flamingo

Ck Wisconsin's DMV website.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:05 PM   #5
Jack E/NJ

>>>has a proper and current transferable registration (not a title)>>>

Some title states have accepted old NY serial-numbered registrations along with tracing or an actual DMV visual inspection of that stamped number on the frame and/or motor and/or transmission case. As I very vaguely recall, NY at one time used one or more of these number IDs instead of titles. So yes, you better ask the Wisconsin DMV what they wanna see. Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:09 PM   #6
AnthonyG

Pa is the same it sounds as Mn. I was gonna buy a pickup from a state that only went with registrations on cars more than a certain age old. The guy gave me a copy of the "transferable registration" I think Conn. to check with Pa MV. I was a major cluster & Pa. wanted you to jump through lots of hoops all taking time and costing too much. I don't even look at anything without a title anymore except for parts on something I have a title for already.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:14 PM   #7
richard crow

hears how it works you go to the mvo you ask the clerk a question you get an answer. go to an other clerk & you get a different answer .that is how it works in ny land of taxes. probley the same in wi. if they have a special plate unit that plates antique cars they will know
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:25 PM   #8
FortyNiner

Mike,
I haven't done the NY to WI thing but i have had need to call the DMV main office. Surprisingly, they were great to work with and much more helpful than the local offices. Specifically, the number on the Collector Plate form 608/266-3041 got me to someone who was well versed and helpful.

Give that a try.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:51 PM   #9
Brad Hole

I would definitely contact the state office as FortyNiner suggested. Many of the local DMV offices may not much about registering an antique. When I tried to register my trucks, though I had the actual title from 1970 (when the last owner purchased/registered it), they still barely knew what to do. Then, when I went to pay for the registration, they told me that I was going to overpay (because of the GVW) and that I would only have to pay the lower amount (I believe the flat-rate for registration is $200 up to ~5,000GVW, then it increases from there. I was supposed to pay $268). They only charged me the $200, just for the state DMV to send me a letter several weeks later saying that I needed to pay the additional $68.
I'm not sure if the state office can perform all the paperwork and related for you, but they can at least steer you in the right direction.
Brad Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:49 PM   #10
hop2it

New York didn't start using titles until 1973 they had transferable registrations before that.i bought a car that was from out of state and came with a title when I registered it in New York I wound up with a transferable registration so I would think your state would have no problem with New York's registration as proof of ownership.
Doug
hop2it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:04 PM   #11
cas3

a "transferable registration" ? isnt that any registration? certainly when you sell, you transfer! this thread has gone bonkers from what kube asked for, and that is experience from wis residents who have done it. title threads can go on and on because of different state requirements. but in this case, which is why i jumped off track to start, is this... there are a few states that do not require a title on a vehicle over 20 years old. they are ny, alabama, and some others i forget. if you look in hemmings, or old cars weekly, the adds that say "we title any car", those are from those states. if you do this, first you throw away 200 bucks , then you get in the mail a set of plates, registered to your car, in your name, with correct serial #'s, and a letter from that state saying no title is needed on a vehicle over 20 years old. and then when you go to YOUR state that uses real certificate of title, they look at it and say? what is this? we need a title. dont ask how i know this. i still say, no matter what state you live in, if they use titles, they want a title. i often have wondered what if you move from ny to a title state with only your registration, do you need a bond too?
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:50 AM   #12
Frank Miller

Just because you do not ned a title in NY does not mean you can't get one, at least I think you could if you asked. If NY issues a title under that vin you're good to go.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:24 AM   #13
Tony, NY

Never heard of NY giving a title to pre'73 vehicles. I keep any titles for newer vehicles at home in a safe place, as they are proof of ownership. We also get a nontransferable registration to carry for a traffic stop or whatever. Transferable reg has to be carried as there is no title.
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:33 AM   #14
corvette8n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony, NY View Post
Never heard of NY giving a title to pre'73 vehicles. I keep any titles for newer vehicles at home in a safe place, as they are proof of ownership. We also get a nontransferable registration to carry for a traffic stop or whatever. Transferable reg has to be carried as there is no title.
I was told by my motor vehicle I could carry a copy of my registration, and keep the original in a safe place. This is what I do until being told otherwise.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:03 AM   #15
FireEngineMike

If the seller is anywhere near Rochester I am willing to do some legwork for you if it helps to have a neutral party. Feel free to PM me. No, I am not in the market for another car (as in attempt to "steal" your purchase) unless it is a 1940 coupe driver for $5k. LOL
NYS DMV does not issue titles for cars built prior to 1973 (hop2it's date). I have a transferable registration ( NYS DMV form: MV-639CR) for my 1940 Ford. I have a title and non-transferable registration for my 2008. Pre-1973 the registration is signed over to the purchaser. 1973 and later, the title is signed over to the purchaser. If there is a loan on the vehicle, that company holds the title until the loan is satisfied.
For WI, check the following link for new residents: http://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/dmv/ve...new-apply.aspx
It specifically mentions title or registration card, which would be the NYS transferable registration.
As others have suggested, call the state DMV:
http://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/about-...v-contact.aspx
NYS has a list of forms you need to fill out to transfer a vehicle and I assume that WI is similar. You might have to send some of the WI forms to the seller to fill out as part of the transfer.
FireEngineMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:21 AM   #16
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEngineMike View Post
If the seller is anywhere near Rochester I am willing to do some legwork for you if it helps to have a neutral party. Feel free to PM me. No, I am not in the market for another car (as in attempt to "steal" your purchase) unless it is a 1940 coupe driver for $5k. LOL
NYS DMV does not issue titles for cars built prior to 1973 (hop2it's date). I have a transferable registration ( NYS DMV form: MV-639CR) for my 1940 Ford. I have a title and non-transferable registration for my 2008. Pre-1973 the registration is signed over to the purchaser. 1973 and later, the title is signed over to the purchaser. If there is a loan on the vehicle, that company holds the title until the loan is satisfied.
For WI, check the following link for new residents: http://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/dmv/ve...new-apply.aspx
It specifically mentions title or registration card, which would be the NYS transferable registration.
As others have suggested, call the state DMV:
http://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/about-...v-contact.aspx
NYS has a list of forms you need to fill out to transfer a vehicle and I assume that WI is similar. You might have to send some of the WI forms to the seller to fill out as part of the transfer.
Mike, A special thanks to you and all others who have offered their advice. THANK YOU ALL!

I feel a tad more easy now even though it appears this may not be the smoothest transfer I've ever entertained.
IF I purchase this vehicle, I promise to revisit this thread and (hopefully) relate just how well the transfer went.
Thanks again,

Mike
Old 02-25-2018, 10:45 AM   #17
AnthonyG

When a state using only "transferable registration" it means only that state will attest to "within that state". The process in most states requiring a title will require you (know this is true in Pa.) to get official documentation to insure car has not been stolen with lineage going back to cars origination in that state. All needs to be verifiable by you getting documentation as proof from the state the car came from. While not impossible a giant time consuming PIA. U never want to pay for the car from a state not requiring a title with just a BOS & transferable registration until all due dilagence is complete or you may find out after it's been stolen at some point in the past or a break in the chain of documentation required & never get a title. There are service that will do for you but expensive, pay ahead & no refund if car documentation shows stolen or dead end on documentation. I,ve spoken to guys at Swap Meets / Flea markets / shows, who buy cars from no title states, they get what they can i.e., BOS/ transferable registration but don't use them unless legal issues ensue( rare if ever), instead they typically know what their looking for in advance and have contacts around the country from title states who have titles from junked cars meeting the requirement. Or if a car just comes up they call their network and more than not find one fairly quickly.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:59 AM   #18
32phil

I just registered an antique car in Florida. I did not have a Title (cars 1972 and older are NOT issued titles in New York).
I used the New York "Transferrable Registration" in his name(signed over to me).
I had the VIN.# verified by a NY State Trooper in NY( Florida supplied the form).
Once I had the..... proof of insurance form, the Florida Vin. verification form and the "Transferrable Registration" and bill of sale from NY. I went to the local Florida DMV and walked out with a Florida Title and registration and a Florida Antique Plate all in my name. A few hundred dollars poorer but good to go.
In Florida.... cars 30 years and older are considered "antique".

Last edited by 32phil; 02-25-2018 at 11:03 AM. Reason: clarity
32phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:34 AM   #19
cmbrucew

Mike
Some times (in California) it cuts a lot of hassle and money to apply for a lost pink slip.
Bill of sale and vehicle inspection and "if it is a pickup weight verification" then
pay the clerk at window__
It really helps if you can get the senior clerk at the DMV office.
Bruce
Old 02-25-2018, 12:16 PM   #20
Steve in Denver

Process for Getting a Title and Plates in Colorado

If you purchased a car out of state and want to get it titled and get Horseless Carriage (50 years old before the current year & Year of Manufacturer) license plates in Colorado, here are the steps.
  • For the 1936 Ford, the chassis number is located on the frame near the steering column. Take a piece of sand paper and sand the paint and grease off of the number so it is completely clear. Spray it with clear paint so it does not rust. It should have the prefix “18”, or “I8” followed by seven numbers and possibly an alphabetic character, “24278I4”. There is also a star in between the “18” and Chassis No./VIN and another one at the end, “18 24278I4 ” . As I have learned from this great forum, Ford used the letter “I” in place of the numeral “1” up til 1939 or so.
  • The Connecticut registration did not have the “18” prefix and the letter “I” was substituted incorrectly with the number “1”. On the “18”, mine looked enough like the number “1” that that is what I went with. But the second to the last characterwas definitely the letter “I”.
  • Because the Connecticut Bill of Sale had the Chassis No./VIN as "2427814”, and I was trying to correct the Chassis No./VIN to prevent any future problems in the car’s future, I had to contact the Connecticut DMV, go to their web site and download their J23T Records Search Form, send them twenty bucks, and have them do a Certificate of Search/Title Records Search. Interesting that Colorado only wanted a Proof of Records search on the actual correct Chassis No./VIN “18 24278I4 ” and not the incorrect Chassis No./VIN “2427814”, if the car was stolen or something, it would have been under the old incorrect number and not the actual number, but I am not asking any more questions!
  • Once I have the Connecticut Certificate of Search/Title Records Search, which as of 2-25-18, I have not yet received back, I should then be able to go back to the Colorado County DMV for the 5th time, not the State DMV, and get a title.
  • Then, after another week or two, when the county computer posts my information to the state’s computer database, THEN I can go to the State DMV for the 4th time and apply for a Year of Manufacturer plate, which I happen to have that belonged to my wife’s grandfather, who also owned a 1936 Tudor hump back.
  • Some wherein this process, I did also go to the Colorado State Patrol and have them do a VIN Verification, so I do have that paperwork, but I still needed the records search from Connecticut.

Oh, my black (poor paint job) 1936 Ford, 5 Window Coupe, with a 1949-53 flathead, converted to 12 volt and which had a rumble seat added somewhere along its life was in Connecticut from about 2011 to 2018. Before that it was supposedly in Ohio. If anyone knows anything about it’s history, I would appreciate hearing about it. Yes, I suppose I could do an Ohio records search, but I am not sure if I want to open up that can of worms.

Stevein Colorado
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18-24278I4 (3).jpg (63.2 KB, 13 views)
Steve in Denver is offline   Reply With Quote