Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-16-2013, 01:52 AM   #1
Model A Fan

Default Looking at buying brakes-Any advice please?

I am looking at buying some cast iron brakes for my project and saw Mac's has their brakes on sale for 15% off and they are made in the USA. I also have seen Mel Gross' brakes for $260+shipping for all four. However, his are made in China and I was hoping to use American made on my roadster.

Has anybody had any experience with either the American made ones from Mac's or the Chinese made ones from Mel Gross? The cost difference is about $80 and I don't mind shelling out the extra for quality American made brakes.

I am going to replace the entire brake setup, what all do I need to purchase?
Thanks.
Model A Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:04 AM   #2
ctlikon0712

Default Re: Looking at buying brakes-Any advice please?

I read a post recently and I think everyone spoke very highly of Mr. Gross and his brakes. Especially his customer service and what all he does for the hobby. I agree with you about buying American, but some of the fellow’s testimony was convincing.
As far as the rest, It depends on what is worn. I am no expert as I have yet to do mine also. But I have been gathering the things I see that I need.
You should look at your roller tracks, pins, wedges, the pin holes in any rebuilt shoes. There is a wealth of knowledge here. Use the search function on the black header above and use the advanced tab to search the "A forum only". This will narrow it down to just a couple of pages
Old 05-16-2013, 05:45 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Fan View Post
I am looking at buying some cast iron brakes for my project and saw Mac's has their brakes on sale for 15% off and they are made in the USA. I also have seen Mel Gross' brakes for $260+shipping for all four. However, his are made in China and I was hoping to use American made on my roadster.

Has anybody had any experience with either the American made ones from Mac's or the Chinese made ones from Mel Gross? The cost difference is about $80 and I don't mind shelling out the extra for quality American made brakes.

I am going to replace the entire brake setup, what all do I need to purchase?
Thanks.
I applaud you for choosing the US manufactured drums which I feel is a superior product, ...not because they are US made but because of the material used in the manufacturing. Some of us read the recent rebuttal but chose to discuss the comments privately instead publicly because our thoughts (-like others) were opinion based. The DOT requires O.E. drums to be made from a better quality of material than what the China-made units are from. If you read the response, the Chinese drums have been known to crack simply by installing them to the hubs. While that is not covered under warranty, the manufacturer said after installed he does not know of any failures from cracks during driving and would cover it under warranty should they ever crack. For me it is just not worth taking the chance over a few extra dollars.

As for what else to purchase, IMO each part has been engineered to do a specific job, and I have found that each of those items needs to be within specification to have fantastic brakes. You should inspect each & every piece and determine what wear is on your components. Then you can restore or replace each of those components.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:01 AM   #4
Barney

Mine are from Synders. US.Made and also of good quality. I would recommend Snyder. If possible, always buy US.Made. In the Western World we should buy as much as possible from the Western World. Its important. I like products from Swiss, USA, UK, Germany, Skandinavia.
Greetings from Switzerland
Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:42 AM   #5
Don/WI

I also have purchased the drums made in the USA. There are two reasons, the most important is that they are made with American labor, the next is known quality. There are also two things that are most important with a Model "A". Starting and stopping. Why take a chance for a few dollars. That of course is my opinion. Don/WI
Don/WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:50 AM   #6
luckyal

I bought a complete set from Snyder's and both me and my mechanic were impressed ! And it makes work for Americans. Mel is a nic eman it is just too bad he is selling an inferior product !!
Al
luckyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:52 AM   #7
montanafordman

Whenever possible I would opt for USA made products. I have spent a lot more money on hand tools buying USA than others even when quality is a wash however how many of us truly buy USA all the time?? Where are your clothes made? How about your computer, ipad, car, etc? I'm a strong proponent of supporting american industries whenever possible to keep our dollars here, but with that said, when I bought my drums I didn't have the finances to spend the extra on the USA made drums and I took a chance with Mels Drums. I had heard nothing but good things from people that had actually used them and I now have 500 miles on mine with no problems. They don't squeak or fade and they do what they're supposed too.

I would think even the USA made drums can crack when the hubs are installed. It takes about 30 tons of pressure to swedge the lug nuts onto the hub/drum, and if its not supported properly you can warp the drum (or crack it according to some claims). A member of my club built a fixture to install hubs and swedge lug nuts that supports all the studs / the entire drum to minimize the risk of distortion during installation. The drums are also slightly undersize so you should true the drum (any drum) after installation to ensure its perfectly round, and specify that they need to be turned to 11" so you can get the drum on over the brake shoes. IMHO suseptablility to cracking during installation is a whole different animal than what one would encounter driving.

I wouldn't knock anyone for going either way with the drums, and I would also check all the other components for wear as others have suggested. Specifically welding or replacing worn roller tracks, and taking up slop in linkages, worn bushings, etc. Make sure your front brake arms are forward about 15 deg. and if not add pills or replace operating pins, shafts etc. and spend extra time adjusting your roller tracks to center your brakes properly. These efforts will pay off big time.

Last edited by montanafordman; 05-16-2013 at 07:59 AM.
montanafordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #8
luckyal

When it comes to the mechanical aspects to a Model A, If Brent says it I take it as the gospel! The man knows of what he speaks ! IMHO !
Al Luckins
luckyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:53 AM   #9
BCCHOPIT

32-35 ford front brakes are a bolt on.
Backs are a little more work. Better braking and cheep.

I have 35s up front and 32 out back.
I had good brakes before now it stops better then my
94 Chevy pickup. No brake fade I can drive it hard and
Alway have great braking. Still will not stop like a new car
Because it just skids but when people hear tires screeching
They get the hell out of the way.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCCHOPIT View Post
32-35 ford front brakes are a bolt on.
Backs are a little more work. Better braking and cheep.

I have 35s up front and 32 out back.
I had good brakes before now it stops better then my
94 Chevy pickup. No brake fade I can drive it hard and
Alway have great braking. Still will not stop like a new car
Because it just skids but when people hear tires screeching
They get the hell out of the way.
I always thought a guy should have a recording of screeching brakes and play it through a loud speaker mounted on the front of the car. This would be for the jerks that like to pull out in front of people.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #11
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyal View Post
When it comes to the mechanical aspects to a Model A, If Brent says it I take it as the gospel! The man knows of what he speaks ! IMHO !
Al Luckins
Oooooh, let's not go down that path. My only 'credit' is that I have had more of an opportunity to install some of this stuff than others, ...and because of that I can recite some of my own past experiences. My experiences are not always the same as others though, and my opinion should hold the same weight as others. I do however appreciate the kinds words!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:39 PM   #12
ejgloss

How can I verify if I have steel drums or cast iron (surface finish?)??

Also, is the Flathead Ted floater kit a good upgrade?
Thanks in advance
ejgloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #13
BCCHOPIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejgloss View Post
How can I verify if I have steel drums or cast iron (surface finish?)??

Also, is the Flathead Ted floater kit a good upgrade?
Thanks in advance
The steel ones are stamped sheet metal ( very thin and light)
Cast looks like a newer car big And beefy

I have Teds kit in my car and they will be on the next one
I am building.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #14
midgetracer

I have used two sets of Mel Gross' brakes and am very pleased with them. I also think that most of the modern car replacement drums come from China. Sad but true.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #15
Model A Fan

So far I have the cast iron drums picked out from Mac's and they are US made. Is there a list of items that I should just replace anyway because I am going through the whole system anyway? Which of the floater kits would be best to pick up? I am looking to do this once and want to do it right the first time. I don't want to chance or skimp it on brakes...
Old 05-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #16
SteveB31

Dont just think about the 15% off. Factor in the shipping costs and handling fees in with your total purchase price. You are buying from the furthest away vendor, and one known for adding handling fees to the invoice.

You might get quotes for TOTAL cost delivered to your door.

Just a thought.
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:44 PM   #17
Model A Fan

I have found Mac's to be about the same price as Snyder's and Sacramento Vintage Ford to be the highest. Mac's has been pretty decent, but I will shop around. I have til the end of the month for their sale. I am just having a difficult time figuring out what I should replace/keep/upgrade. Thanks.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #18
QGolden

I don't think there is an easy rule regarding what you should replace. I just completed my 4 wheels, but used my the Original drums, backing plates, shoes. I looked at things carefully as I took it apart and and anything that did not move free, or was visually damaged, or out of spec,went away. I wound up replacing all of the clevis pins, rollers, adjusters, springs, brake rods, bushings, linings, and backing plate bolts. I put the front wedge floater kit in it.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote