Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-19-2012, 03:25 AM   #1
Barney

Default Sticky and glossy Orange colling water.

Hello,
in may last year I installed a new radiator (Brassworks HD) and a new water pump. I filled the system with fresh water and a product called "Water Wetter". Since then I've driven about 700 miles and had no problems. No overheating even in hot weather. No loss of cooling water for one year after the water was still up in the radiator.
Yesterday I looked again if there is enough water in the system. This was true but the water had a very strange strong orange color and was very sticky.
I have flushed the system twice and topped up with fresh water and normal anti-freeze.
I was most disturbed that it left a slimy, sticky plaque back into the system. In the top tube, I found this plaque.
Has anyone had similar experience with "WaterWetter" Is this product recommended at all?

Greetings from Switzerland
Barney
Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:55 AM   #2
Joop

Default Re: Sticky and glossy Orange colling water.

What kind of waterpump are you using.

Original or leakless?
Joop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:48 AM   #3
Barney

Hi, i have a leakless style pump from Snyders.
I suspect this product(Water Wetter). This has been in the bottle a bright pink color. However, the color of the water was more into glossy orange. Like a German Curry-Sauce.
Barney
Old 07-19-2012, 07:11 AM   #4
Benson

Did you use tap water or distilled water?

Tap water can have high amounts of calcium, sometimes called hard water.

The calcium (which looks like plaque) is deposited on radiator insides when heated and clogs tubes and whatnot.

I always use distilled water with antifreeze for that reason. Since I started doing that radiators will go for years with little or no deposits.

The orange sticky situation might be something to do with Waterwetter. I never used it before as cars are driven year round.

Another thought: Maybe there is some bacteria or chemical in the tap water that combines with Water Wetter to make the sticky substance??

Last edited by Benson; 07-19-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:23 AM   #5
Barney

Hi, i used fresh water. We have very "soft" water here. In the washing machine / dishwasher or in the hot water boiler, we have never been large deposits.
I can really rule out bacteria as well. But a good idea, I had not thought of it.
I must now look like once the new water behaves.
Anyway, I've never seen that in a car of mine. But I have never used WaterWetter before.

Barney
Old 07-19-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
pat in Santa Cruz

I've experience the same thing. The orange is rust. Water wetter does not have enough inhibitors in it. The slime actually starts to get a bad smell after a while. I flushed it out and added clorox to kill the bacteria causing the slime, then flushed it again and added Sierra anti freeze. NO more rust after that.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #7
Benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat in Santa Cruz View Post
I've experience the same thing. The orange is rust. Water wetter does not have enough inhibitors in it. The slime actually starts to get a bad smell after a while. I flushed it out and added clorox to kill the bacteria causing the slime, then flushed it again and added Sierra anti freeze. NO more rust after that.
Interesting that you mentioned the bacteria also. In another life I used to repair the giant IBM mainframe computers.

Certain models were water cooled. Had two !.0 HP 208 volt electric motors to move the water.

Thirty Five or Forty gallons of distilled water had to be changed every year or two. It was always fun to go to the local supermarket to get distilled water. You need 40 gallons! What for?

There was a jar of powder that we added to the clean water. I remember the stinky water and slime in the cooling systems also. Most of the internal parts were stainless steel, brass, rubber or aluminum so I never saw the rust problem.

The MSDS sheets mentioned something about anti-bacterial powder. The neat thing was that each jar came with a pair of goggles. For years I had all of the goggles I could ever use! Still have several pair left over.

Last edited by Benson; 07-19-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #8
29restorod

I have used Water Wetter for 11 years in my flathead v8's,and never seen any problem. Now my model"A" is showing the same sticky orange film,you have mentioned. I have a leakless pump that was new when I bought the car last year. Before that it had a stock pump. Someone said it was from the pump grease entering the cooling system.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:17 AM   #9
Barney

Thank you for your views and responses. I'll be watching the thing now and do not fill WaterWetter. Let's see what happens.
The Waterpump-Grease it could be but should be a large amount at the pump.
Thanks again
Barney
Old 08-20-2012, 02:13 AM   #10
Barney

Hi,
A short update. The new water is now a month in the system. Fresh water and a normal commercial antifreeze. No WaterWeter.
The color is normal and no plaque, and even at the temperature I notice no difference (At the Moment its realy hot here in Switzerland 35°C,95°F).
I think it was the product of WaterWeter. I will no longer use this product. Again thanks for the reply.
Greetings Barney
Old 08-20-2012, 05:05 AM   #11
wensum

I use Red Line Water wetter in two cars with alloy components ( Head in one case and head and block in the other.)
I have found it excellent for eliminating corrosion in thses motors and reducing the running temperature.
A well known brand of anti corrosion additive had been found to react with certain types of water causing excess sediment in the block and resultant seizing from localised overheating
wensum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #12
MikeK

The slimy bacteria is Serratia marcescens and it produces an orange pigment, prodigiosin. It is very happy in hot water and will feed off organic molecules like Water Wetter surfactants and soluble oils used as water pump lubes. To completely remove the slime coat you need to use oxalic acid and detergent as a cleaner, and you need to get the circulating water temp up to 190F+ for about 10 minutes. If you only get it up to 160F, it will say thanks for the food (detergent) and come right back. A follow up rinse with 5% bleach would be in order. Be sure the rad top tank is overflowing full, else the little devils will hide out up there and laugh at you.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:29 PM   #13
Vern

Barney, Thanks for asking this question. I thought mine was the only A with this condition. In the past couple of months I have had a slow leak in a bottom tank/tube and found this greasy orangey stuff on the floor. Now we know. I have used water wetter for years, but it won't be going back in when I get the radiator repaired.
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote