Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
oldandtired

Default locking spare identification help, not typical locking spare

Seems like it was last week someone was asking a question about a 36 locking spare.
I have a locking spare that uses the same stainless cover and lock mechanism as the 36 Deluxe. The flat part only extends far enough to cover the wheel, not the tire.It is definitely for a wide five.
Can anyone tell me what it fits and/or what model it appeared on?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM001992.jpg (110.2 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg IM001994.jpg (160.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IM001995.jpg (164.6 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IM001997.jpg (163.3 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IM001998.jpg (98.7 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by oldandtired; 01-30-2012 at 07:10 PM. Reason: More pictures
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
Lawson Cox

Default Re: locking spare identification help, please

I have never seen one of those before. Maybe Don Rogers will put in his 2¢.
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
Mike in AZ

is that hubcap hinged?....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:24 AM   #4
oldandtired

The locking spare uses the same stainless clad cap that is used on 36 Deluxe passenger car covers and the one that was first used on 36 pickup locking spares. The cap flips up using the same system as the other wide five locking spare covers. I have seen one other complete one. I was up at Iola one year and there was one for sale and I saw one on the auction site a few years ago. Neither the person with the one for sale at Iola nor the auction site knew the correct application. I will try to post more/better pictures showing the underside and the other parts that go with the lock.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
deuce lover

Could it have been cut down?
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #6
oldandtired

Default Re: locking spare identification help, not typical locking spare

The locking spare still has the rubber piece that went around the edge. The lock pieces are identical to the 36 Deluxe, using the same Hurd lock and the same cone piece. The lock receiver is identical to 36 Deluxe and 36 pickup.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
Mike in AZ

great pics...don't have a clue....woodie??....maybe a European Ford??....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #8
Lincoln

Here is my "two-cents worth" on the unidentified locking spare : I believe this is the Spare Wheel, Tire Lock & Bands Assembly for the 1936 (all Passenger models plus the Station Wagon), part number 68-18318-A. The Ford Parts Lists identifies it as "Special equipment for use without the wheel cover". This was sold only through the Ford Dealer on special order for the princely sum of $2.50.
Ford Branch letters mentioned that large Fleet companies (who were big purchasers of Ford products) bought their vehicles WITHOUT the spare tire, tube, spare tire lock, and the spare tire cover. This equipment normally was part of an Accessory Group considered by Ford to be mandatory for all other purchasers and included in the vehicle's sale price. Apparently some of those Fleet companies installed their own equipment on their vehicles. But if nothing else was installed, all you had to stare at was the spare mounting bracket as it was installed on the rear of the vehicle- probably not a pretty sight!
Well, evidently Ford came up with this 68-18318-A assembly for those that wanted to cover up the bracket. Why a tire lock was also furnished is beyond me as there was no tire or wheel to steal. Or did some have spares mounted?
Maybe someone else will add to this. At any rate you have an unusual and interesting assembly there.
Lincoln.
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #9
Gary Tosel

That cover is the center part for a 36 Ford Panel Delivery spare tire. Lorin Sorensen's book Fords Forever page 129. Look carefully and you can see the inner edge of the cap with tire face plate.

Last edited by Gary Tosel; 02-01-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Gary Tosel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:03 AM   #10
oldandtired

Thank you for the input. I do not have Lorin's books. Seems like the Green Bible had a listing in the Accessories section for a 39 panel delivery face plate only but it was a 91C part number, not a 36 part number.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #11
Lincoln

Thanks Gary for mentioning the 1936 Panel Delivery in the Fords Forever book. Another Sorensen's book, The Commercial Fords, show two other Fleet-owned 1936 Panel Deliverys that "appear" to have the same "mystery" wheel cover (face plate) and outer tire cover, but the center cover is plain without the Ford script! These are on page 104. And then page 110 shows a Fleet-owned 1938 Deluxe Panel with the same setup, only with the script center cover.
It would be interesting to know if those Fleet-owned panels were factory -equipped that way when new, or was that something they added later on.

Lincoln.
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #12
oldandtired

Thank you for the reference about a 38 panel having the same part. There is a listing in the Green Bible that appears to have a face plate only locking spare assembly with a 91C part number in the accessories section. I have a 39 panel, but will proably not use the cover in the picture.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #13
1942deluxe

Whatever this fits I now have an identical one.Customer of mine that goes to antique auctions brought me one in yesterday.Either NOS or early take off with the original Ford black paint.The hubcap has black paint on the Ford logo and circle surround.What I wondered was did someone have to change a tire and think it was a pain and take it off then it layed on a shelf for 70 years.It had a sticker on it saying 1936 so someone else had that idea too.He wanted 40 bucks for it.Told him that was fine if nobody needs it I'll hang it on the wall of my showroom and I'll bet I get $40 worth of conversation of people guessing what it is and what it fits!
1942deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote