Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
ford3

Default shipping

ive been reading the complaints about dealer shipping costs, i have an idea, why dont they go to the post office and get a bunch of the flat rate mailers, they are free, and the post office will pick them up free,no extra cost to the dealer, the small box is $4.95, the medium one is $11, and the large one i believe is $15, you can put any thing in them that will fit up tp #70, and if the dealers think they need a little extra money for handling add $1.50 per packege, maybe that way they could restore a little customer good will that a lot have lost over ridicules shiping charges, or am i just simplifing things? and damn, put a few screws or gaskets in an envelope and put a 47 cent stamp on it and send it on its way, uspo charges $1.50 for $100 of insurance, if the customer wants that, fine, his shippment is covered against damage, he he doesnt want insurance, thats fine also, if merchandise is delived damaged with out insurance its the buyers problem
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
Don

Default Re: shipping

Can a business use this service,sounds to simple?
Old 02-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
ford3

yes they can, most dont want to because they can make a few dollars more on the high shipping they charge
Old 02-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #4

You don't even have to go to the post office to get the free Flat Rate Boxes, you can go online, fill in a few questions and they will deliver them to your door for free.

I recently went online and requested (12) of their large 3 1/4" X 12" X 24" "game board" Flat Rate Boxes. I did not realize that each request was for (25) boxes in a pack, so I received (12) X (25) = (300) boxes delivered free to my front door. Kept some and delivered some to my local post office.

The best part is you can go online and pay for and print out postage to tape onto these boxes and they will pick them up from your home or business. So if you use Flat Rate Boxes, you never really have to go to the post office.
3738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #5
Peterooster

I almost always use the flat rate boxes from USPS when I sell items on E Bay, never had any negative commets Pete
Peterooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
ford3

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
try and get Macs to do that
Old 02-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #7
mrtexas

The answer is the non-business like attitudes of the PO. They are trying to improve but have got a long ways to go.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #8
paul2748

I've used the post office many times - the local one is super - and they never lost any thing I've sent out. Never had any complaints from customers either.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:01 AM   #9
BILL WZOREK

In my case I have shipped via U S Postal Flatrate Box's in all but 2 cases that were by owners request that I use Fed Ex,
The flatrate box's work for International shipping also / all though the rate changes & with international shipping there is a small amount of paper work to do it is still a very economical way to ship.
I took them for the word ( IF IT FITS IT SHIPS) I put 6 shocks in one box.
One thing to remember is to pack (In my case ) the shocks real tight so there is no movement < and DO NOT use those packing peanuts.>I use crushed news paper around the shocks Before the final taping of the box I close it up and shake the box if there is movement I stuff in more paper till there is no movement,then I will tape it 3 seperate times in each of the 2 directions ( Width / length )
another thing I do is if it is over 3 shocks I will cut up another box ( it's free ) and line the shipping box with the cut up box creating a box inside of a box.
I may be wrong but I think that they use some sort of Mechanical sorting and if the boxes are not packed tight there may be problems.
The rate just went up Aprox. $ 2.25 but it automatically comes with a tracking # ( Which they call the label # which shows up on your receipt / used to be called a confirmation#)
There was a $.75 charge before but now is part of the shipping charge.
so when you deduct that from the price increase it did not go up that much.
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:32 AM   #10
1937pickup

Shipping and handling is a profit center for companies-they will be loath to do anything to harm that. Think about these adds on tv when they will double the offer with a seperate handling and shipping charge. I have long thought that these tv products are sold at cost and the profit is made in shipping and handling.
1937pickup is offline   Reply With Quote