Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-10-2021, 08:51 AM   #21
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Swap meet etiquette / Luray

I think this Cash vs. checks/e-pay/etc. part is ignorant, -at least from my vantage point as a vendor.

If you are coming to an event with the intention of participating, I respectfully feel you need to come prepared. That means you really should come prepared with proper shoes that allow you to be comfortable walking around. You really need to come prepared with the proper clothing so you can dress for the weather conditions (-not too hot or too cold, or wet). Also come prepared with a list of what you are seeking. Come with measurements and/or pictures of things you are unfamiliar with so you can compare before you purchase, and come with a way to carry what you have purchased.

And finally, if you are serious about participating then you need to have cash with you in the proper denominations to make the deal. For example, if someone has something priced at $50 and you offer them $40, please don't hand them a 100 bill and expect them to make change. For me, taking any type of electronic payment is too troubling for the worth of it when you are standing in a field at a swap meet. Especially if we are speaking about something with a value of under $100. There are (-me included) attendees that have frequently carried large sums of money with them on the property of the meet.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:58 AM   #22
alexiskai

Is $20s an OK denomination to carry or would $10s be better? Assuming one is mainly in the market for items under $150.

I have an old ('81) copy of the JS, I was going to bring that and a current vendor catalog for reference.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:42 AM   #23
1931 flamingo

I'd bring all diff denominations in different pockets and don't forget to bargain (Will you take....................) If it's something you want/need and have been looking for a while, BUY IT. It might be gone if you come back or you may not find another. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:45 AM   #24
Jack Shaft
BANNED

We can't be serious...never been to a garage sale or a flea market?...
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 12:07 PM   #25
alexiskai

Sure, but every subculture has its own rules and I don't want to make assumptions. I went to an estate sale recently, and when the starting hour rolled around, the guy running it read a list of names off a list, and those people got to go in first. They knew a rule that I didn't.
Old 05-10-2021, 12:59 PM   #26
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
Sure, but every subculture has its own rules and I don't want to make assumptions. I went to an estate sale recently, and when the starting hour rolled around, the guy running it read a list of names off a list, and those people got to go in first. They knew a rule that I didn't.
Reading between the lines Colin, are you going with the intention of buying a Phaeton, or just some random parts?

There is not any 'rules' that I am aware of on how buying & selling at a swap meet works. It basically a bunch of guys meeting in a grassy field with some surplus stuff they need to get rid of. Just come and see what is there, and if you find something that you want to purchase, then negotiate with the seller on price and payment methods at that time. I would definitely not stress over not knowing if there are any hidden rules or methods. Just come and make your main focus on fellowship with other Model-A guys.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 05-10-2021, 01:08 PM   #27
alexiskai

No, just parts. It's a long drive for me, and my bank doesn't have a branch in the area, so I just didn't want to make any rookie mistakes. I'm sure it'll be fine.
Old 05-10-2021, 01:09 PM   #28
ronn

Smile Re: Swap meet etiquette / Luray

sounds like Brent is buying lunch............. with all of that $ he is carrying.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 01:09 PM   #29
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
No, just parts. It's a long drive for me, and my bank doesn't have a branch in the area, so I just didn't want to make any rookie mistakes. I'm sure it'll be fine.
Maybe post what parts you are looking for with the hope that someone sees it and brings that item to the swap meet.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 05-10-2021, 02:14 PM   #30
alexiskai

List in order of priority
  1. '28-'29 radiator apron with good d-nuts and sheet metal
  2. 7-tooth steering box cover
  3. Stock distributor plates, body, rotor, cap, clamps (I'm building a spare)
  4. 3-bolt downdraft manifold
  5. Exhaust manifold, straight
  6. Correct late '29 bumper clamps
  7. Light switch housing

Also, I'm bringing a portable coil tester rig, so if anyone wants to buy a coil, come find me, I'll test it for you.
Old 05-11-2021, 04:15 AM   #31
Wick

The weather is going to be nice for the meet. Bring a jacket. I'll be mostly loaded with A parts.
Will also have lots of smalls. Plenty of 21" wheels. 3 sets
At least a dozen front fenders. Something neat,a pair of 3 rib tractor tires on 19" A wheels.
I prefer $20s on small deals.
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 11:39 AM   #32
redmodelt

Don't low ball someone and pull out a wad of cash! I've never had the problem of having a wad of cash, buying or selling. LOL I try and have my money broke down so if buying a $1 item don't have to break a 10 or 20. Ask the seller if they can break $X amount bill. Most often they can but sometimes they can't. Sellers don't necessarily have a large amount on them ether. Not everyone selling is a Rockefeller!
Old 05-12-2021, 12:32 PM   #33
ronn

Don't low ball someone and pull out a wad of cash!

once a deal is verbally consummated, what does it matter? as a seller, I sure dont care. I agreed.
Old 05-12-2021, 12:54 PM   #34
alexiskai

I think it's more like if you made an emotional appeal or said "all I've got is a $20" or something. That's sort of a general rule, though, not just swap meets.
Old 05-12-2021, 01:08 PM   #35
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
Don't low ball someone and pull out a wad of cash!

once a deal is verbally consummated, what does it matter? as a seller, I sure dont care. I agreed.
Quote:
I think it's more like if you made an emotional appeal or said "all I've got is a $20" or something. That's sort of a general rule, though, not just swap meets.
I actually witnessed something like that at Hershey one year where evidently the Buyer played some kind of song & dance to the Seller, and I guess the Seller agreed to it. Then when the cash was ready to exchange hands, something went wrong in a hurry where the Seller started yelling at the potential Buyer. The Buyer flagged down Hershey Region guys on a golf cart and got them involved. The Hershey Region guys radioed for Security to come quickly (...which was my que to leave quickly too!!). I never did know the outcome or exactly what the fuss was over, but I often wondered at what point is a swap meet sale binding from a legal perspective?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 05-12-2021, 01:38 PM   #36
ronn

but I often wondered at what point is a swap meet sale binding from a legal perspective?

when a gun or knife comes out- time to scram!
Old 05-12-2021, 01:39 PM   #37
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I never did know the outcome or exactly what the fuss was over, but I often wondered at what point is a swap meet sale binding from a legal perspective?
Verbal contracts are legally binding and find their way to courts on a regular basis. To be binding, a contract requires three things: consideration, offer, and acceptance.

Consideration means each party must surrender something of value. The "thing" may be intangible, and it is not required that the parties give the valuable thing to each other (for example I could pay you to give a car to my son). Offer means that one party signals his willingness to conclude the deal on the terms the parties have just discussed. Acceptance means the other party does the same. The signal can be verbal, or it can be as simple as I try to hand you money and you take it.

So in the Hershey case, even though no money had changed hands, if the parties had verbally agreed to the price, if the seller were to back out, the buyer would have a legal case. Whether it'd be worth enforcing is a whole other story.
Old 05-12-2021, 03:04 PM   #38
ronn

and furthermore- when its one on one- who knows what the truth is?

He said she said doesnt hold up in the court of law. so in that case, a verbal contract is unenforceable unless you have a witness. who in their right mind would ever be a witness
for the sale of some rust?
Old 05-12-2021, 04:59 PM   #39
Tom Endy

It is prudent to be very careful when approaching a seller to negotiate a lower price. You never know, some of these guys take it as a personal insult if you suggest they lower the price. I had a couple guys go off on me and I just walked away. Since I am up in my years my approach is to ask if there is a seniors discount.

When I am selling I am very careful to be polite when rejecting an offer. I thank them for the offer, but say I think I can get my price if it is something I restored to sell and have a set price. Other stuff I know my bottom price so I politely negotiate with them.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:50 PM   #40
dean from bozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
It is prudent to be very careful when approaching a seller to negotiate a lower price. You never know, some of these guys take it as a personal insult if you suggest they lower the price.
I had that happen to me at the Big Three Swap meet in SD. It was a $15 part and I offered $12. The old man said 'Put it down. I'm not selling anything to you. I know what my things are worth'. ..or something to that effect.

- Cash is king. Put big bills in one pocket. Small bills in another.

- Keep the part in your hand until you make a decision. Once it touches the table it is up for grabs.

- Don't think that you'll come back and buy it later. There's a good chance that you won't have a second chance.

- If you are not up for multiple trips to your car or something is pretty heavy then ask the vendor if you can keep it there for a while until you can pick it up later. If you leave something at a swap space, swap phone numbers.

- A JS is too heavy to carry around. Been there done that. Won't do it again. Leave it at a friend's swap space or in your car. Or photocopy the pages of the part(s) that you will be looking for.

- Have a flashlight. A tape measure. Gloves. A notebook. Your card if you have some.

- Tell folks what you are looking for. They might have it at home or know someone who has what you need.

- A swap meet where you don't buy a thing might be the most successful one in your life. If you find out who does what; how to do that; or someone telling you 'what I found out...' then you might have saved yourself some headaches and possibly some money.

- Though I don't hear as well as I used to, I do love walking around a swap meet and just listen to the laughter and a good story or two. Just don't feel that you have to listen to a guy tell you about every car that he has ever owned.

No matter what the swap space is selling (Mopar, Corvette, Dodge, etc.) look for at least one Model A part in the swap space. If there is one, spend your time looking through the space. I have bought some amazing Model A parts at a non-Model A space.

Can't go to Luray but will be at Oshkosh in less than a month.

- (Tongue in cheek) Now remember all this fancy swap meet etiquette when you are at my swap space in Oshkosh. I want everyone to smile, bring too much money and give me a healthy tip!

- (Seriously) At Oshkosh I will be helping a friend sell a family collection of great parts. Personally I can't wait to see what he hauls out of the trailer.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote