Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-2019, 10:14 PM   #21
w.michael

Default Re: Why the Model A

Because my grandfather loved them.

And I loved my grandfather.

W. Michael
w.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:15 AM   #22
cradlescyth

Do not have memories that others have, but trying o build them with grand kids,
plus I just like the Model A
cradlescyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:07 AM   #23
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ight=jack+bahm

Long read, but let the model A tell you about herself.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:29 AM   #24
Fairview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonlll View Post
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ight=jack+bahm

Long read, but let the model A tell you about herself.
That’s a beauty!
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:49 AM   #25
Tinbasher

Thanks for all of your responces. Great stuff. Enjoy. JP
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:30 AM   #26
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbluoval View Post
Several things strike me about it
1. It is a generational thing. Either ones folks or grandfolks had one and it's
Part of their youth
2. One had a Model A as a younger person
3. They are relatively easy to work on and/or restore
4. They draw attention and compliments
5. It USED to be an affordable hobby!!

You are correct in that one. After thinking for a few moments about what caused this, I am not sure if I can put a defining reason with that. What do you think it is that changed it?

(Maybe when we were first introduced to the Model-A hobby, the cars were equivalent to collecting a 1980's Ford today??)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:10 AM   #27
30 Closed Cab PU

Going sideways on the OP.
I know I am guilty of the "I remember when" syndrome. Perhaps partially responsible for my perception of how affordable the A hobby is. And then when retired and living off Social Security and investments, you are in net cash out instead of in. I know it makes me more sensitive to the costs of things. Sticker shock

60s pricing of a new VW Bug, advertised for $1995. McDonalds Cheeseburger, fries, small soda - get change back on a dollar. List goes on and on
In 1976 my 1st real job after 2 years College and a year of Tech School was $6700/yr. before taxes and deductions. Was considered an OK wage. Today that job is $40 - $50 K

Labor cost has to increase to support increased wages,. Businesses have increased over head - Air Conditioning, health/dental plans for the employees, increased sick time off, more vacation, supporting business regulations, etc.

Way back used parts were readily available, most likely less inexpensive, just go to the local car junkyard.

So inflation has taken a 60s $5 part to perhaps $50 since the 70s.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:17 PM   #28
Licensed to kill

For me, "Why a model A" is simply cost and availability. I LOVE late 20's/early 30's cars of ALL makes but my preference is the more luxury type cars, Cadillacs, Packards, Deusenbergs (my all time favourite is a ' 29 Deusenberg model J convertible coupe). Of all the cars made in that time, Model A's are the most plentiful, cheapest to buy and easiest/cheapest to fix (due to the availability of parts both original and repop).
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:45 PM   #29
denis4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
You are correct in that one. After thinking for a few moments about what caused this, I am not sure if I can put a defining reason with that. What do you think it is that changed it?

(Maybe when we were first introduced to the Model-A hobby, the cars were equivalent to collecting a 1980's Ford today??)

Brent, the cost of doing business has increased considerably in the past 20 years. There are so many things that are affected by regulations regarding painting, plating and liability insurance that are necessary evils in this day and age. The hourly rate at a dealership in Durango is now over $100 per hour and then there are environmental fees added on and don't forget the cost to dispose of old tires. All of these costs filter down to "hobby" industries like our's.

A good example is the costs to sandblast and powder paint A wheels. The price has doubled due to the need to confine blasting media and the cost of LNG to heat the booth. I could go on and on, but the bottom line on the subject is the escalating costs of doing business.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:22 PM   #30
Oldbluoval

5. It USED to be an affordable hobby!!

Brent (and all).....

I guess when you start looking at an easy $5K to do an engine, another easy $4-5K in paint and labor, bright work is out of sight, upholstery can be much the same as aforementioned numbers......its easy to see that a Model A can get expensive. Paint and plating prices have been exacerbated by regulations.

Of course much can be done by an individual and lots saved. But to have all the talents and skills, equipment and facilities is rather rare.
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:57 PM   #31
1931 flamingo

Had my first one when I was about 14, transitioned to 32's (hot rod) when 15, then to a 40. My most recent A was affordable and already re-done. Now for sale as I've recently acquired another 40 coupe (hot rodded) similar to the one I had 50 years ago and the wife and I dated in.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 02:13 PM   #32
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by w.michael View Post

W. Michael
I just love this answer. I just hope someday my 9 year old grandson keeps the torch going. He says he loves Stella my '37 Ford and Clara the '31 roadster. he did not like the '32 Plymouth because of the "suicide" doors. He has me record Chasing Classic Cars so we can watch together when he visits from Pa.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:18 PM   #33
Oldbluoval

Originally Posted by w.michael

W. Michael

Yep one of the best answers on here!

Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 02:58 PM   #34
woofa.express

Each time I look at mine or any other I just smile.
That's what they do for me.
Cars have not had class like them since.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smillly.JPG (36.2 KB, 1 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 01-02-2019 at 03:06 PM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 02:58 PM   #35
shark 81

it was built to be the best car a working man could buy, and ninety years later it still is.
shark 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 02:59 PM   #36
BRENT in 10-uh-C

If I am reading you all correctly, you all are suggesting that 'inflation' is what has taken the price of the hobby up. I can definitely believe that reason ...however other things had likely 'inflated' too such as a paycheck. So why did the inflation of the 'A' surpass the inflation of our paychecks?

Ironically I think the Model-T value has likely seen equal inflation over that time and the T hobby is still as popular and strong as the A hobby is. If this is indeed factual, what made one vehicle rise more financially over the other? Do you feel it had anything to do with the RG&JS book, and folks continually pushing for authenticity??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 01-02-2019, 03:10 PM   #37
ursus

For me it was childhood exposure to the many survivor Model-A's that were still tooling around when all the other makes of that era had either been long since junked or were being restored into trailer babies. Into the 1950's,the Model-A was still a daily driver for folks that could afford nothing else. I recall a few A's that were still in the hands of first or second owners that continued to drive them simply out of loyalty to a car that they enjoyed and that never let them down.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:56 PM   #38
DD931

With respect to the cost of owning a Model A - When I owned Model As in the 50/60s replacement parts were not generally available from sources other than junkyards or other local used sources. Snyder's and Bratton's and similar others didn't exist (at least as far as I knew). Plugs, points, etc., sure. And there was J.C. Whitney/Warshawski who would sell some basic stuff, but nothing even close to what's available now. We made do with what we had. Restoring cars to show condition was not happening. There were a lot of them around, but they were either used in some practical way or, like mine, just for fun. So, I think the hobby has gotten more expensive because we are now competing with each other for points and everyone needs welled fenders and a rumble seat. Not to mention turn signals, counterweighted cranks and Lebaron Bonney interiors. (My '30 Tudor interior was done in red burlap!). Back in the day we didn't rebuild shocks - we just disconnected them and/or threw them away!! Comments?
DD931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:26 PM   #39
37 Coupe

I remember walking around our local car show/swap meet back when we first got the Model A roadster in 1964. Most parts guys were selling good Model A and T parts reasonable and Ford V8 parts were dirt cheap and available but just not that many guys wanting to spend money on a flathead Ford original part. It was like that until about the time I got my first flathead a '46 Ford coupe in 1971.You could find lots of parts and accessories but boy did that change quick,first '32 stuff and then everything went high. I needed a right rear fender for the '46 Ford and a guy named Pat Day in North Carolina listed one among his NOS parts list he showed every month in Hemmings.This was '71 or '72 and the price was 25.00. He sent it truck freight to some terminal in Zanesville Ohio and trucker called me to say they had it and wheredid I live exactly? I said I will come and get it and dispatcher said no the driver wants to see your car,good old days.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:02 PM   #40
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD931 View Post
With respect to the cost of owning a Model A - When I owned Model As in the 50/60s replacement parts were not generally available from sources other than junkyards or other local used sources. Snyder's and Bratton's and similar others didn't exist (at least as far as I knew). Plugs, points, etc., sure. And there was J.C. Whitney/Warshawski who would sell some basic stuff, but nothing even close to what's available now. We made do with what we had. Restoring cars to show condition was not happening. There were a lot of them around, but they were either used in some practical way or, like mine, just for fun. So, I think the hobby has gotten more expensive because we are now competing with each other for points and everyone needs welled fenders and a rumble seat. Not to mention turn signals, counterweighted cranks and Lebaron Bonney interiors. (My '30 Tudor interior was done in red burlap!). Back in the day we didn't rebuild shocks - we just disconnected them and/or threw them away!! Comments?

With the exception of the comment about no one was restoring to show condition back then, I believe you and I are of the same mindset on the Fine Point being a contributing factor of making it less affordable. It used too be that both clubs really pushed for authentically restoring and preserving the Model-A as it was originally manufactured. That I think is the biggest difference between the Model-T clubs and the Model-A clubs as the largest Model-T club did not even have a Judging program (-much less a book) and the one club that does have a judging book has one that is filled with authenticity errors.

I say the above because even as a kid I can remember that Model-A club members have always been critical about other member's Model-A with regard to what is right or wrong on their car. It seems that Model-T club members could care less what is right or wrong on their cars, or other member's cars. Even most NOS Model-T parts do not bring much money. You really can't blame that on 'following' or demand either because the Model-T Ford Club of America has more members than the Model A Restorers Club does.

One other likely contributing factor is many of the restorers back then were either craftsmen themselves, -or had the assistance of friends who could assist them restoring. Pieces were actually restored back then in someone's garage. Today, it is easier to purchase reproduction parts rather than restore even though buying reproduction parts comes at a greater cost.

FWIW, there were guys that were restoring to show room condition back then too, and these guys are the reason why there was a need for compiling the Judging Stds. book. The irony in that fact is there was probably more guys restoring to "show room condition" back then than we have restoring to that condition now.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com