Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-24-2013, 06:25 AM   #61
40Ford!!

Default Re: The whole story of my 1936 Ford 3 window coupe "barn Find" and how I am preservin

Big Z what a neat story. I just picked up a garage find 35 Tudor and will post my story here shortly.
40Ford!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:03 PM   #62
Tommy Gun

Default Re: The whole story of my 1936 Ford 3 window coupe "barn Find" and how I am preservin

What a wonderful story! Great score and best of luck with the new ride!
Tommy Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #63
Fat deuce

Awesome story!
Fat deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:01 AM   #64
justindwright

I love this find! I would drive it just as found (looks wise). So cool!
justindwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #65
OLDTGUY

Big Z,
Great story, and a great car.
JJ
OLDTGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:15 PM   #66
Big Z

I have been driving the 36 as much as I can. A few weeks back I took my son to Boy Scouts with it. When we got out it was getting close to dark. We hopped in the 36 and started to leave the parking lot, turned on the lights and blew the fuse. I tried the parking lights and same thing. I knew the wiring was frail but I was hoping it would be ok. So I decided I needed to replace the lighting harness. A few days later the right hand water pump started leaking bad enough that I did not want to drive it, so I bit the bullet and bought pumps and the lighting wiring harness.

When I removed the harness from the column I realized just how bad of shape it was in.

I removed the horns and cleaned the contacts and replaced the leads. They actually work now. While had the horns out I changed the pumps right away. I drained the water and pulled the pumps off.

This is how the block looks. Pretty clean.

I painted them quick and threw them on. I used Indianhead gasket dressing to seal things up.

I spent 2 hours replacing the pumps and all day Sunday replacing the lighting harness. Naturally the parts I bought were not as good as the originals so I reused what I could. I had to find the plastic piece in the tail light socket that was missing and found it on a 39 parts car I have. It is handy to have parts when doing this type of stuff.

I then took the car for a ride down the highway. It was the first time over 45 for me in this car. It drove and handled very well. I was pleasantly surprised.

www.meltdowndrags.com
Big Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:23 PM   #67
Big Z

www.meltdowndrags.com
Old 05-22-2013, 11:35 PM   #68
columbiA

Great car you have!.Back in 58 I bought a 35 3-window for $175 that was in similar shape to yours.It ran well,but I bought a 37 sedan for $50 with a broken 2nd gear,but had a factory rebuilt engine with only 1,200 miles on it.That engine was so well balanced that you could stand a nickle beside the intake and it would take about 10 seconds before the fan blast would knock it over.
When I sold the car to a 16 year old kid,the first thing he did was to hack-saw the top off it for the convert effect.The body lost its structural integrity and the doors would not even stay closed.Idont think he drove it long after that!
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #69
Firepower flyer

Looking good man!!!I can't beleive how clean the inside of the block looks after sitting as long as it did.
Firepower flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #70
Big Z

I had the pleasure of visiting with Jean and Orville tonight. We talked about the 36 and about life. Orville did not want to go for a ride but Jean did so we went for a 10 minute ride. Then we went for a walk and stumbled upon the missing hub cab for the 36! How lucky was that? They are happy with what I am doing with the car. Jean thinks I should paint it. I told her the paint is the cheap part, it is the chrome and the weatherstrip and body work that are expensive. If I was going to redo it it would be 100% and I don't think I can do it to the car. It is fun the way it is.

July 15-17 2016
www.meltdowndrags.com
Old 05-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #71
Bruce in southern OH

Great information and story, first time I had seen thread, thanks Bruce
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #72
Mike in AZ

very cool...glad you got it going and on the road....enjoyyyy it the way it is....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #73
oldtin31

Great story! I have almost the same story on my 36 3 window. I havent picked it up yet, just gave him a deposit till i can scrape up enough cash to complete the deal. Wish mine was as nice as yours, but its pretty nice, just been a little bumped up and needing a right rear fender. So i am on here looking all the time
oldtin31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:14 AM   #74
ss34coupe

Great story and great find! Congrats!
ss34coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #75
Wingnutz

I've found that as soon as you paint it you'll not enjoy it like you do now... so don't you dare repaint it... No Kidding!

Keep it in a controlled state of decay and everything will be ok!
Wingnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:50 AM   #76
cuzncletus

There's one thing that rarely gets mentioned and then almost never positively. Sometimes I feel like Al Pacino in "the Scent of a Woman." Old cars smell of dust, mold, grease, mouse droppings, and rot. To me it's a strong sensory experience. It can't be replicated.

One of my good friends is the area's recognize best "old car guy." A very talented builder, he has a couple of nice original cars along with a constantly changing string of show worthy street rods. His ride of choice? An original 33 pickup with an updated drivetrain only, that only after the death of the early engine. Those creaks, rattles, and smells are all part of what draws me to love old cars.

Then again, I'm the guy that inhales deeply, then sighs contentedly when I smell a dead skunk on the highway.
cuzncletus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #77
Ken Bull

I love your story--my 36 Cabriolet was a big nightmare at times(did the.. bought it all apart & stripped of alot of parts thing).. Lucky you...when I saw the interior & noticed the Clock (I dont have & is pricey and unafordable now that Im retired) & noticed you have the "RARE" Waterfall Trim in center of dash. Congrats!
Ken Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:06 PM   #78
Wingnutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Z View Post
Where did it go?
I get it now, All my posts need to be approved by a moderator first. Not sure why.
Probably the reason I only have one post!
Wingnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #79
MN Stumpjumper

Big Z, I saw the 36 at BTT50's. Very nice! Did you drive it there?
MN Stumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:29 PM   #80
Big Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Stumpjumper View Post
Big Z, I saw the 36 at BTT50's. Very nice! Did you drive it there?
No, We trailered it and camped in the campground. We had a blast there and cruised the grounds quite a bit.
www.meltdowndrags.com