Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-03-2024, 10:42 AM   #1
BigstarATX

Default Are these “widow maker” wheels?

Hello y’all I just bought a 1951 F5 Ford and I’m a little worried about doing anything with the wheels due to the “widow maker” stories I’ve seen. Can you tel if these are the Firestone “widow maker” wheels? I’ve seen some mentions of other wheels that can be used instead but want to find a set of wheels with similar size. Anyone know of good option? Sorry I did a search but thought this might give me direct info. Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_7414.jpeg (35.8 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_7415.jpeg (15.8 KB, 602 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_7413.jpeg (17.5 KB, 604 views)
BigstarATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 12:07 PM   #2
big job

Default Re: Are these “widow maker” wheels?

looks like to me
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 12:23 PM   #3
marko39

If they are the two piece rims then yes. If the have just the outer locking ring which yours look like from small picture I see, then they can safely be worked with. A safety cage or other methods to secure them when inflating them is a must.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 01:04 PM   #4
RalphG

Pictures are a bit small to see but no, they don't look like the true "widowmakers". They look the same as the lock ring wheels I have on my bale wagon converted from a 1946 Ford truck with 20 inch wheels. A one piece lock ring holds the rim together. I've changed tires on a few of them. So far, so good. The 17 inch wheels on my 49 Merc do appear to be the "widowmakers" and I have not attempted to work on them due to their reputation.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 01:25 PM   #5
Newc

I have some true 'widow makers' off a Ford 1 ton- 17"[1947]locking band for two piece rim in center of wheel. and 6 Hole!! Actually junked the truck. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 01:49 PM   #6
petehoovie

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 03:04 PM   #7
blucar

The wheels shown in #1 of this topic are the Firestone type which were in common use until late '70's on light/medium duty trucks. This type of wheel is not the infamous 'widow maker'
The two piece rim with the center lock ring similar to what 'petehoove' posted are the problem type.
Tubeless tires on trucks is what actually stopped the split rim use. I changed out all of the tires/wheel on my fleet of trucks in the late '70's in favor of tubeless because they were safer.
Old 01-03-2024, 04:05 PM   #8
truckdog62563

The wheels pictured are absolutely the Firestone RH-5° widow makers.

What stopped the RH-5° was threat of government recall. The NHTSA and IIHS were well along with the recall effort when in 1972 the wheel companies agreed to stop selling them. Sales materials for Budd, Motor Wheel, and Accuride ceased their listings in 1972. It took K-H until 1976 to comply. Stu

Last edited by truckdog62563; 01-03-2024 at 07:54 PM.
truckdog62563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 01:09 AM   #9
truckdog62563

BigstarATX also posted this to the FTE site with follow-up question. My reply is linked below. Stu

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...are-these.html
Old 01-04-2024, 10:06 AM   #10
1952henry

^^^^ Stu knows wheels…
Old 01-04-2024, 07:58 PM   #11
RalphG

For those that are concerned about using their "widowmaker wheels" as some of the older Ford trucks had, here is an option that worked for me. On the 49 Mercury M68, with the 17 inch wheels, I was able to bolt on the same size wheel from a similar vintage GMC truck. Even the original Mercury hub caps fit the GMC wheels. Plus the GMC wheels have the removable lock ring unlike the Fords wheels. In the pictures the Mercury wheel is red. The GMC wheel is the green one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5505[1].jpg (65.8 KB, 348 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5506[1].jpg (62.8 KB, 352 views)
Old 01-04-2024, 09:28 PM   #12
truckdog62563

These GMC/Chevy 3/4 and one ton wheels are much safer than the Ford widow maker 17s. If you look up the page to the posted Firestone rim chart, these wheels have the three piece Firestone “AR” rim pictured there. They were produced with both 5” and 6” rim widths. Stu
Old 01-04-2024, 10:16 PM   #13
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post
For those that are concerned about using their "widowmaker wheels" as some of the older Ford trucks had, here is an option that worked for me. On the 49 Mercury M68, with the 17 inch wheels, I was able to bolt on the same size wheel from a similar vintage GMC truck. Even the original Mercury hub caps fit the GMC wheels. Plus the GMC wheels have the removable lock ring unlike the Fords wheels. In the pictures the Mercury wheel is red. The GMC wheel is the green one.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 07:22 PM   #14
blucar

The term "widow maker" is a term that has been battered around for many many years, a myth, probably started because it made good press.
I can speak with some degree of authority because I owned and operated a company for over forty years that operated a fleet of light/medium/heavy duty trucks, ranging from half ton to three axle 50.k GVW diesels. Amongst my jobs with the company was being the company safety officer and until five years ago I held a commercial drivers license which required that I meet all of the DOT safety standasrds for over fifty years. Of course in rural, and/or farm areas DOT standards can be very loose.

Actual split (two piece) wheels have not been a common item since the 1950's, spit ring wheels were a very common wheel through the early 1980's. Of the seven Firestone wheels shown in 'petehooies' contribution, only type AR, RHP-5, R-5. and RH-5 are spit rim type, the rest are 'lock ring' type.

In 1981 we bought a new 81 International 1954 B 3 axle 50K # GVW diesel truck that had Bud lock ring tube type wheels. With the advent of tubeless tires for HD trucks in the early 80's we changed our entire fleet to tubeless tires and wheels.
Old 01-16-2024, 02:25 PM   #15
truckdog62563

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdog62563 View Post
These GMC/Chevy 3/4 and one ton wheels are much safer than the Ford widow maker 17s. If you look up the page to the posted Firestone rim chart, these wheels have the three piece Firestone “AR” rim pictured there. They were produced with both 5” and 6” rim widths. Stu
After posting the above it hit me that there is a hiccup that would limit the use of these wheels. So I’ll add a qualifier. These wheels have a 4 5/8” center hole which won’t clear a stock Timken 51524 rear hub. They work fine on a front hub. The stock Ford has a 4 13/16” center hole. Stu
Old 01-17-2024, 09:13 AM   #16
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdog62563 View Post
After posting the above it hit me that there is a hiccup that would limit the use of these wheels. So I’ll add a qualifier. These wheels have a 4 5/8” center hole which won’t clear a stock Timken 51524 rear hub. They work fine on a front hub. The stock Ford has a 4 13/16” center hole. Stu
I have not tried the GM wheels on the rear axle of the Mercury so it sounds like if I want to I will have to do a little work with a grinder.
Old 01-17-2024, 09:56 AM   #17
truckdog62563

Yup, I have one of these GM wheels that came to me on a donor truck. I’ve used it when rearranging the barn’s donor inventory and learned it the hard way. I guess a full set might work if a rear D60 axle was to be fitted, but to use on the stock Timken some machinist attention or die grinder time would be necessary. Stu
Old 01-17-2024, 02:59 PM   #18
itslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
Of the seven Firestone wheels shown in 'petehooies' contribution, only type AR, RHP-5, R-5. and RH-5 are spit rim type, the rest are 'lock ring' type.
The AR, R-5, and RHP-5 are lock ring.

Only the RHP, RH-5, and RH are two-piece split, and of those only the RH-5 is known as the "Widow Maker".

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 03:21 PM   #19
truckdog62563

Quote:
Originally Posted by itslow View Post
The AR, R-5, and RHP-5 are lock ring.

Only the RHP, RH-5, and RH are two-piece split, and of those only the RH-5 is known as the "Widow Maker".
This is the correct statement. Unfortunate for Ford guys most early bigger models (ton and 1.5 ton) have the RH, and 50s/60s era 3/4 and one tons have the RHP. Both have the solid/unbroken rings that must be squeezed over their respective base rim lips. Fewer and fewer shops anymore are willing to service them because so few remain in service, and shops haven’t trained techs in their handling. Ham fisted handling can ruin a ring rendering the customer screwed. Most bigger models 1948 to the early 1970s came with the RH-5°. Stu

Last edited by truckdog62563; 01-17-2024 at 03:31 PM.
truckdog62563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 07:51 PM   #20
Ken T

I have similar wheels. I was told when I change the tires, my best bet would be to take them somewhere that services tractors to have them changed. Being that they might have someone there that is familiar working with them.

IMG_8897 (1).jpg

Last edited by Ken T; 01-17-2024 at 07:56 PM.
Ken T is offline   Reply With Quote