Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-27-2014, 08:21 PM   #161
Bruce in southern OH

Default Re: Yes, they are still out there NUMBER 2

Thanks Ken, who is the supplier/suppliers for wiring harness, appreciate all the help,
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:44 PM   #162
Ken/Alabama

http://www.lzoc.org/Sources/naragans.pdf
Narragansett Reproductions has the wiring harness , great folks to deal with
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 12:06 PM   #163
Bruce in southern OH

Picked up a couple of books for the 39LZ, not as much info as I was hoping for, like the green bible it shows all model's of Ford that used the same part even if multiple years. Would have been nice to have the LZ info beside the Ford info to share correct parts. Still a lot of fun looking for items that will make car better. I need photos of other 39 transmission and clutch linkage to get idea of correct part or parts my car does not have for clutch adjustment. Also need idea of tire tools that you carry for road side flats, car did not have any jack/tools. Last thing for today, what wiring diagram on the Mac VanPelt site is close to the 39 wiring, thanks Bruce
Old 09-28-2014, 03:21 PM   #164
Vic Piano

Bruce, I got the wiring harness for the '39 LZ from Rhode Island Wiring. I had some dealings with Narragansett Reproductions recently, unfortunately, my experience was not as good as Ken's... I won't deal with them again.

I have the original bumper jack with the Zephyr, however, I'd only use it for display! Get yourself a good bottle jack for roadside flat fixes.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:26 PM   #165
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Bruce, I got the wiring harness for the '39 LZ from Rhode Island Wiring. I had some dealings with Narragansett Reproductions recently, unfortunately, my experience was not as good as Ken's... I won't deal with them again.

I have the original bumper jack with the Zephyr, however, I'd only use it for display! Get yourself a good bottle jack for roadside flat fixes.
Vic: Didn't you mean to say to get a good "bottle of Jack (Daniels)"

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:55 PM   #166
Vic Piano

Lawson, I think the Jack Daniels is used to 'jack up' the driver, not the car... LOL
Old 09-28-2014, 08:52 PM   #167
Bruce in southern OH

There is a thread now on V8 section titled "39 clutch issue " take a look at his photos, look at the clutch release arm. I need to see if I can get a number off the clutch release arm. My 39 Lincoln Zephyr I am working on after I replaced the clutch disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing I still do not have enough travel to release the clutch properly. (free play ) Clutch is releasing but in future I will not have any adjustment because my clutch release arm will hit back of bell housing and I am now maxed out in adjustment. Any information appreciated, Bruce
( 31Pickumup, release arm is at a greater angle towards rear of car which would help me out as far as adjustment and free play )

Last edited by Bruce in southern OH; 09-28-2014 at 08:54 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 10-01-2014, 09:01 PM   #168
Bruce in southern OH

Need some photos of a 39LZ clutch set up to see if my transmission and clutch parts are the correct ones.
TODAY I worked on the rear two tail lights, had to drill top of slotted screws off to release rear lens holder. Next I drilled through the little remaining screws, then drilled the holes out and tapped to accept 10-32 screws, did both sides and cleaned up the rear light housing. ( they were very dirt and non-reflective). Next I mounted the light housings and temporarily powered up the rear electrical items, brake master cylinder switch back to lights, running lights and gas tank gauge wire, everything WORKED. Tomorrow will work on installing rear housings in fenders and move to the head lights and horns.
After lens removal, existing

Drilled and tapped

Prime with aluminum paint, will over spray with Chrome paint

Working lights after 32 years
Old 10-02-2014, 06:17 AM   #169
Terry,OH

I was on the auction site and found this photo note the length of the threads. Is this side LH thread and the other side RH, making the connection piece truly an adjustment turnbuckle? The other side of the adjustment appears like the Fords and they come in slightly different lengths. Too bad the green parts book does not cover the Lincoln, lengths can be found there. Maybe one of the Lincoln guys can chime in with the proper lengths of the various parts of the linkage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lincoln 38-48 clutch.jpg (28.5 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Terry,OH; 10-02-2014 at 06:30 AM.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:28 AM   #170
Vic Piano

I just finished the rewiring, etc. of the taillights on our '39 LZ. Basically, I did the same things you did however, I painted the housings gloss white (I had painted them silver previously) and the reflective quality of the white is far superior, I should mention that our LZ had been converted to 12 volts.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:23 AM   #171
BrianCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce in southern OH View Post
There is a thread now on V8 section titled "39 clutch issue " take a look at his photos, look at the clutch release arm. I need to see if I can get a number off the clutch release arm. My 39 Lincoln Zephyr I am working on after I replaced the clutch disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing I still do not have enough travel to release the clutch properly. (free play ) Clutch is releasing but in future I will not have any adjustment because my clutch release arm will hit back of bell housing and I am now maxed out in adjustment. Any information appreciated, Bruce
( 31Pickumup, release arm is at a greater angle towards rear of car which would help me out as far as adjustment and free play )

OK my head hurts thinking about this . Won't you be shortening the adjustment as the clutch wears and the fingers move out?
Old 10-02-2014, 08:53 PM   #172
Bruce in southern OH

I am now thinking about what you are saying. I had a stuck clutch, I adjusted to get maximum release, so I think what you are saying is ....... correct. Still holding my fingers out in front of me as the clutch fingers. Head not hurting yet, thinking back when I took car apart, this is the way I found clutch. I figured that because transmission covers were removed that they had a stuck clutch. Now after we found synchronizers bad we think that the grinding they had was not because the clutch was not releasing but the sychronizers were bad! Sooo, with this re-visited I am still thinking that you are correct, but I still have to get my free play correct, will work on the adjustment first think in morning and report. It now takes all the travel to release, as it wears the fingers will move back as you said???????????????????????????????????
Old 10-02-2014, 09:12 PM   #173
Bruce in southern OH

Vic, took car for the first time on a short drive on main road this evening at 6:30PM to what we have up here called "McThursday", small gathering at McDonald's. Wired up the brake lights, tail lights and the generator. The lights drew everyone's attention, they are very bright and some thought they were L E D, clean, bright and good ground makes them bright. The spray can chrome paint really helped me compared to how I found them.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:59 PM   #174
Bruce in southern OH

I am continuing to fix and complete a list of small items on car, today changed tires around to try and get a better ride. Next needed air cleaner on car, old stock air cleaner had pieces falling out, traveled to O'Reilly's and gave them my old element and we matched up with a nice USA made filter. Will continue to working on wiring and list.
Filter installed, works perfect

Filter information

Back of package
Old 10-04-2014, 09:01 PM   #175
Bruce in southern OH

Got 39 LZ out today, started early and replaced several more items on list, looked around and it was 11:30 and still 45 degrees outside. Started car and took to house to get lunch, after lunch I went out and started car planning on driving about 16 miles to friends house in the 39. Started car and went about 25 feet and it sounded like the bottom fell out of motor. I immediately turned of engine, started up again, no sound, gave the car a little gas and the noise started again and stopped, drove car slowly to garage, got out and no sound, moved carb linkage and the noise was fan hitting the front of distributor !!!!!??? Stopped engine and the fan blades were separated from the hub on front of engine, now what was up with this. Looked in my chassis parts book that I purchased but no drawings, felt around and could not find any way to attach the blade back to hub. THEN I thought I will call Ken in Alabama to see if he had a answer for what I had broken. He answered and told me that the fan blade assembly was held to front of balancer with three special bolts on back of balancer assembly. I found them, but did I have to remove the radiator to get off, first a pause and no was answer. ( I dodged a bullet there ) I asked why fan was loose and hitting the distributor, found out from him fan blades were pressed on a rubber sleeve/extrusion and not found any where. So I removed fan and will weld fan blade assembly to the hub for a quick fix. I did drive car to friends without fan after this but it was now 3:00PM, cool out and did not have any problem until I talked to long with engine running and it got hot, cooled down as soon as I drove on highway.
Looking down on the fan and fan hub

Fan removed

Fan assembly removed from fan hub, just a press on and gave up after 75 years!!!

Car out in yard, photos are best at 20 plus feet
Old 10-05-2014, 12:21 PM   #176
B-O-B

Not really sure (CRS) but I think Vic had a similar problem.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:06 PM   #177
Vic Piano

B-O-B, I did have a problem with the fan in our '39 LZ but, I fixed it. Only problem is, I can't remember what I did to correct the problem... I think CRS is contagious...
Old 10-05-2014, 07:17 PM   #178
Bruce in southern OH

I think I will drill the hub and fan, then put 4 bolts, lock washers and nuts to hold together, after I change to 12 volt system I will remove the steel fan and install a electric fan. Will place steel fan and hub on bubble balancer after assembly to check to see if it is safe to use.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:57 PM   #179
BILL WZOREK

Bruce
What about lock tite and no bolts ,
If you remember I had my 600 HP / 1850 ft,lb torque Cummins self distruct
One of the possable reasons could have been cam gear moved on cam shaft changing timing
Now all cam gears are lock tited at time on manufacturing, should hold fan in place.
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:06 PM   #180
Bruce in southern OH

It would be old rubber to a steel fan hub, it was a friction fit, some way they pressed the fan blade assembly hole over the rubber on back side of hub that does bolt to front of balancer. Have plenty of room to drill and bolt, just want it centered up so that it is true. thanks for suggestion, will look at possibility, Bruce