Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-17-2019, 06:08 PM   #61
denis4x4

Default Re: How Many Model A's are left ?

Every time this question pops up, I make the suggestion that MARC and MAFCA do a joint project and poll the insurance companies, state DMV’s and museums.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:13 PM   #62
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
Every time this question pops up, I make the suggestion that MARC and MAFCA do a joint project and poll the insurance companies, state DMV’s and museums.
That wouldn't cover any Model As outside the US and even then, I bet there are plenty out there just sitting in sheds not insured, not registered and belonging to people who are not members of a club.
I don't think this question can be answered accurately.

Last edited by Synchro909; 11-24-2019 at 04:43 PM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:09 PM   #63
Ted Duke

IMHO no one knows how many Model A's are left. First, we can't agree of what is a Model A because do you count a chopped channeled V-8 with fat tires?

Second, Many are hidden. Mine is in a garage and not yet roadworthy. There is one across the street (restorable) and NOT for sale. Another less than a mile away is in a barn with chickens living on it (nice amateur restoration some years back, driven a few times and parked).

I know of several nearby belonging to people who are NOT in a club and NOT in anyone's COUNT. I would say about a dozen in my county. Mulitple it however you want... NO one KNOWS. LOL
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:33 PM   #64
History

My friend, who was a sea bee in Vietnam was telling me that he can think of around 60ish model A's in our county. The county has a population 11,000ish.

I'd bet there are very few, if any he doesn't know about.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:19 AM   #65
JoshuaSchubert2000

I am aware of about 70 Model As here in mid-Missouri, including my own two, one of which is non-running and the other which is virtually a farm vehicle. Out of those 70, I’d say 60 are fully restored. These body styles range from the Woody to trucks to coupes and even a Vicky. All years are covered by these. Those 70 vehicles are split among about 50 guys. I don’t know if this is a good representation of just an excess in an area or what; that’s probably the case though. I’d say that from what I’ve seen and researched and the guys I’ve talked to that the 200,000 number would be a good international estimate, given the vast majority of European models were melted during the Second World War according to my European friends.
JoshuaSchubert2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 12:20 PM   #66
john charlton

I think you would be really amazed at how many As survive .My son and I have 14 between us mainly by accident like Topsy said "they just grewed".I have worked in Brazil many still on the road in the seventies also Uruguay .We have 6 on the road here in England the rest are projects but with all parts . I would say 500000 to 750000 exist worldwide not counting GAZ .i know most of you will laugh in disbelief but TRUST ME !!!

John in Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 12:33 PM   #67
Ernie Vitucci

I think that John is in the ball park. Look how many companies sell parts for our cars. From what I know and the parts availability now vs in the 60's when I had my first 'A' it is far easier to bring on back than it used to be. Here in Arizona, we see them coming out of all sorts of storage places and going back on the road with almost all parts available at Arizona Model A, not to mention all of the national suppliers and clubs. Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 02:33 PM   #68
Tudortomnz

You can probably get a good approximation of US numbers, but internationally, a survival rate in South America [ Ford US biggest export market] plus good survival rates in Sth Africa, Australia & New Zealand.Any cars found in War zones [ Europe & Asia]were often shipped back to conquerors country or destroyed. Gaz? Maybe not many.
250,000 worldwide?
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 03:16 PM   #69
Jeff/Illinois

I live in a small farming community. In our town and within two miles of town in the country we knew of 12 Model A Fords. All but one were restored and running. The unrestored one was a '30 Coupe that the owner had a health issue that set him back. There were Roadsters, Sedans, Coupes, an AA truck and a Roadster Pickup in the mix.

I was the only one who ever belonged to MAFCA. I gave issues of The Restorer to all of those guys and they all said 'no' they weren't interested in being in any clubs. They did like the magazines though
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 04:48 PM   #70
Synchro909

This thread so far has reminded me of one of my late father's favourite lines. "If all the economists in the world were laid end to end, they still wouldn't reach .... a conclusion!"
Old 11-24-2019, 04:58 PM   #71
bgarrett

I have 10 Model As,only one registered and driving
bgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 04:03 PM   #72
M.W.Miller

I have found;when looking, I have yet to go into any small town and not find something related to a model T or model A.
M.W.Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 04:39 PM   #73
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
This thread so far has reminded me of one of my late father's favourite lines. "If all the economists in the world were laid end to end, they still wouldn't reach .... a conclusion!"

lol

30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 03:23 PM   #74
HOTRODPRIMER

4,858,644 is but one number quoted to have been built, I believe there arestill more than enough to satisfy the demand. HRP
Old 01-18-2020, 03:35 PM   #75
warrene

Smile Re: How Many Model A's are left ?

I'm 86 and have been there/seen it, the reason there are so many Model A's (and T's for that matter) is because of Henry's insistence on quality and simplicity, he had the best engineers, the best metallurgists and the best workforce, I hate to dump cold water on you Chevrolet guys but facts are facts, the Chevy of those days was a poor car in many ways, far too much wood in bodies, poorer steels, axles would break with cars parked, the OHV valves poorly oiled. In the T days Chev' owners would replace their axles with Ford T axles (they fit) to avoid breakdowns.
In short, one look at the survivor rate tells the story, Ford made one hell of a good car, that's why they're still going and why the Chevrolet's are gone, or nearly so.
There, I've said it and I'm glad folks

warrene

warrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 04:38 PM   #76
ronn

not more then 5%

one in twenty is alot. most people do not own a model A.
but for some reason, many of you still think 20% of them are out there.
aint happenin!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 04:54 PM   #77
Pete

Since the laws of physics have not been repealed, there can be only one answer to the question.
Every model A that was made still exists but not in the original condition. Some exist as new restored. Some exist as rust. Some exist as vapor.
You can NOT destroy matter. You can only change it's form.
However, we can now create matter with the Hadron Collider.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:40 PM   #78
Chuck Dempsey

Pete - "However, we can now create matter with the Hadron Collider." Physics isn't my strong point. Does the collider create matter from energy? Seems like 'rust' and 'vapor' are matter, as much as the original steel or rubber. We convert matter to energy when we burn a candle. Have we now reversed it?

Thanks!
Chuck Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:13 PM   #79
Jim Huseby

Maybe this has already been mentioned on this thread, but I wonder how many more Model A's there are now than when this thread began. I am building a phaeton from useless Model A scraps. I have also built ten running chassis from parts and then built the bodies for them, plus another 20 speedster bodies for A chassis. That's 31 Model A's that weren't, but now are. There must be a hundred other people doing the same now. www.olympicspeedsters.com
Jim Huseby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:31 PM   #80
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Dempsey View Post
Pete - "However, we can now create matter with the Hadron Collider." Physics isn't my strong point. Does the collider create matter from energy? Seems like 'rust' and 'vapor' are matter, as much as the original steel or rubber. We convert matter to energy when we burn a candle. Have we now reversed it?

Thanks!
Yes, matter is created from energy.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote