Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-30-2015, 11:54 AM   #1
raisinhel

Default 1940 window regulator question. espically convertible.

40 convertibles have heavier windows with the chrome trim around the glass therefore use a "gear re-ducted regulator. (you turn and turn the crank to raise/lower windows and the windows go sloooow up/down and that is fine when they work smoothly.)
we have fought with a few 40 convert regulators long enough. changed gears, had gears made... aligned the window for free movement, etc...

Drake 40 convertible regulators aren't built the toughest either with a potmetal gear and are not sold separate, have to buy a pair.

anyone use a 2 door regulator in a convertible, or any other regulator other than buying power units?
does a 2 door regulator have the window crank in the same place as a convert?

Last edited by raisinhel; 06-30-2015 at 11:59 AM.
raisinhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:16 PM   #2
Kube

Default Re: 1940 window regulator question. espically convertible.

Convertible window regulators are quite unique, especially when compared to closed car units.
I have to wonder why you are having so much difficulty. I am willing to bet you are over looking something.
Can you move the window (w/o regulator in place) up and down easily? How are the tracks? How about the rollers within the frame?
Old 06-30-2015, 12:30 PM   #3
raisinhel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Convertible window regulators are quite unique, especially when compared to closed car units.
I have to wonder why you are having so much difficulty. I am willing to bet you are over looking something.
Can you move the window (w/o regulator in place) up and down easily? How are the tracks? How about the rollers within the frame?
couldn't get the window to go up and down any smoother, adjusted nicely, nice rollers, lubed...
every 40 convert we have ever had which is only 3 in the last 40 years had a drivers window problem.
we had 2 regulators over to a private machine shop to make one, the guy is 'very handy. put the regulator in and still have to help it up/down.

we put in a lot of late model regulators here at work, have pretty good experience playing with windows and regulators. the Darn 40 convertible gear re-ducted regulators go bad or are forced at one time become useless. -- I think a regular non gear re-ducted 40 regulator would work fine in a convert if the crank etc end up in the same spot through the door panel. anyone tried this?

Last edited by raisinhel; 06-30-2015 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:13 PM   #4
supereal

My '47 convertible had a regular (non convertible) regulator on the passenger side so it can be done. However, the correct regulator is geared to handle the heavy glass and frame. It does take nine turns to move completely up or down. The regular regulator will usually shuck teeth from the handle gear over time. I finally found the correct regulator in a Missouri junkyard. It was badly worn and rusty/dirty, but worth the search. I'd try that before adapting a regular regulator.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:27 PM   #5
nospartsman
BANNED

With a little searching NOS window regulators can still be found for 1940 Ford convertible, check with Little Dearborn Minn Mn, Southside obsolete Fairbault Mn, Early Ford Store in San Dimas, Ca, All Ford Parts Campbell, Ca Jim at Rosemead (Gene Scotts NOS parts) Also ask for 1940 Mercury Convertible regulators with a slight modification can be used in Ford.
nospartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:41 AM   #6
my2nd40

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I modified two door sedan regulators to use in my 40 Convertible. It's been quite a while, but I only worked with the length of the arms. I didn't change anything about the gear set. I spent lots of time with them getting the proper arm length and getting the window channel installed so the windows would go up and down smoothly. It's been 10 years now and they are still working, but I am fortunate to have a pair of good originals just in case.
my2nd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:28 PM   #7
raisinhel

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2nd40 View Post
I modified two door sedan regulators to use in my 40 Convertible. It's been quite a while, but I only worked with the length of the arms. I didn't change anything about the gear set. I spent lots of time with them getting the proper arm length and getting the window channel installed so the windows would go up and down smoothly. It's been 10 years now and they are still working, but I am fortunate to have a pair of good originals just in case.
EXACTLY what I wanted to hear. THANKS!!
im now on the hunt for a nice drivers side 2 door regulator.