Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-03-2020, 02:20 AM   #41
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: lowest oil pressure for engine to survive

Ya can't fix a flathead that ain't broke.....…..well, ya just can't! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE

Last edited by V8COOPMAN; 07-03-2020 at 05:26 AM.
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 02:24 AM   #42
Tinker

I think you are the next guy to tell me something. Like 3sp transmissions are stupid. If I cared about running like a modern car I would buy a camry.

Last edited by Tinker; 07-03-2020 at 02:33 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:11 AM   #43
flatheadmurre

Hey hey guys...remember we´re all here to enjoy and share...
And i thought i was the argumentative guy around here...i have to sharpen my skills
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:36 AM   #44
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Electric oil pressure gauges are suspect.Mechanical gauges are closest to accurate at the center of the gauge needle sweep.The reason the factories went to idiot lights is thats all the operator needs,excess oil pressure in actuality robs power by loading the pump..idiot lights stopped idiots from wrongly assuming engine wear from a 5 dollar gauge.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 12:44 PM   #45
petehoovie

From 'Roadrunner Engineering' > http://www.roadrunnerengineering.com/TechTips.html

"As many flathead owners have observed, the idling oil pressure for a warm flathead is often 10 psi or less. While 10 psi is sufficient at idle (it should rise approximately 10 psi per 1000 rpm) it is not very comforting to those used to the higher numbers from modern engines."

"Melling Engine Parts manufactures a high volume oil pump for the flathead designated the M-15 which delivers 25% greater volume capacity than their model M-19 which is the stock equivalent. Peak oil pressure is set by the oil pressure bypass valve (either in the pump or in the engine), however the higher capacity will produce significantly higher oil pressure at low engine speeds. To use the high capacity oil pump in 1948 and earlier engines, a truck oil pickup tube assembly, P/N 8RT-6615 is required. The 1949 and up engines can use their stock oil pickup assemblies. Some bending of the pick up tube may be required to assure adequate clearance (about 1/2in) between the oil pickup screen and the oil pan. The oil pressure relief valve in the center valley of the older engines is usually left in place even though the new pumps have a built in relief valve."

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 07-04-2020 at 09:08 PM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:06 PM   #46
40 Deluxe

This may be apples to oranges (at least it's Ford to Ford), but I drag race a Cougar with a 289. I shift about 74-7500 RPM and cross the line about 6500. I run a stock oil pump and stock relief spring. So around 45# max hot. When I built the engine in 1990 the crankshaft was standard and in good shape. I had it apart about 4 years ago to put in dome pistons and the crank was still in good shape and still standard. This is after many hundreds of runs. The main and rod bearings looked and miked perfect so back in they went. So why waste engine power churning oil through the relief valve with a high volume, high pressure pump??! If you like to overheat your oil why not just heat the pan with a torch? I was running 5W-40 oil until I couldn't find it anymore. Now running 10W-30. "80 lb. oil pump"? Egads! No way! There is no need for worry if a typical flathead idles at 10 PSI and cruises at 35-40 PSI.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:26 PM   #47
alanwoodieman

40 deluxe you need to go back and reread oil pressure we have now. 12/15# at 55mph about half what it should be, idle 2/3 # as the song says "those statistic for a modern engine, don't impress me much"
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:18 AM   #48
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwoodieman View Post
40 deluxe you need to go back and reread oil pressure we have now. 12/15# at 55mph about half what it should be, idle 2/3 # as the song says "those statistic for a modern engine, don't impress me much"

Point taken. I was responding to comments that seemed to recommend a need for extreme oil pressure, like 80 lbs., which is totally unnecessary.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:28 AM   #49
Ol' Ron

This might not answer the question. but, I had an old engine that didn't have any oil pressre at Idle. I pulled it from the truck and set it aside. A few month/years later I installed it on a run stand and it still didn't have any pressure at idle. I removed the plug from the pump outlet on the block to see if it was putting any oil out, When I started the engine the oil shot out across the yard,. Not sure what happened to that engine, we were going thru allot of them back then
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 04:44 PM   #50
Ronnieroadster

Well this post is up to #50 now so after that many posts the winner I mean answer is?
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:41 PM   #51
alanwoodieman

40 deluxe, what we are think about is the high volume pump which happens to be the 80# variety, actually what we are looking for is more oil flow not necessarily a lot more pressure
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:49 PM   #52
cadillac512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
Well this post is up to #50 now so after that many posts the winner I mean answer is?

In my opinion, you and murre had the correct answers and procedures in posts #10 and #11.

Terry

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:36 PM   #53
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwoodieman View Post
40 deluxe, what we are think about is the high volume pump which happens to be the 80# variety, actually what we are looking for is more oil flow not necessarily a lot more pressure

Heres some food for thought using the 80# pump will not give you more flow. If more flow is what your after than the Melling M-15 HIGH volume oil pump is the one to use. Now I know theres going to be a flood of comments that the M-15 pump should not be used however. The decision to try a pump for more flow will only be accomplished by installing the M-15. And to add to more comments heres what you should do with your front pressure relief spring area. Place a small ball bearing in the chamber doing this will close off that front oil leak complexly. Use the plunger {the stem will need to be shortened slightly so the cover can go on} and spring to hold the bearing in place. You should see a slight improvement in your pressure reading. And the answer is yes to the question have I tried this myself and I can say no flatheads were harmed in any way during those experiments. As a matter of fact they all have survived rather well.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:00 PM   #54
petehoovie

Good info in these PDF's from Melling >

https://www.melling.com/wp-content/u...re-vs-flow.pdf

https://www.melling.com/wp-content/u...lume-pumps.pdf

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 07-04-2020 at 09:05 PM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:09 PM   #55
flatheadmurre

If the engine has the original longbody pump in it now changing to a shortbody #80 std pump actually raises the flow a bit since you are going from straight to helical cut gears.
If a fresh shortbody pump aint enough i would check the bearings and surfaces next.
If we start blocking the gallery oil relief spring the oilpressure gauge will probably peg for a long period...and it shouldn´t open until #50 is reached if in good shape.
There´s no simple answer to theese kind of problems...taking the pan off and checking bearings would be the best start.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:35 AM   #56
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadmurre View Post
Hey hey guys...remember we´re all here to enjoy and share...
And i thought i was the argumentative guy around here...i have to sharpen my skills

I'm not offended. or care. It's just banter to a solution. Totally not offended personally.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:36 AM   #57
Tinker

Bearings limit flow. Better bearings better pressure. If you need to add more oil pressure I'd last to think the pump. But too much pressure is just that, same with flow. In my opinion on a flathead. 90% of us don't need 90 lbs of oil pressure. A few might. 10lbs is all you need hot idle. If you think you need more oil pressure on a flathead, add more fuel pressure to your carburetor to make it faster.

Last edited by Tinker; 07-05-2020 at 01:12 AM.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:15 AM   #58
Brian

Ok, so you've got an 80lb pump installed with a built in relief valve. Others have said you can 'regulate' the engine oil pressure through the relief valve at front of valve chamber. The engine will see pressure as regulated by the lower setting of the two r/v's Way I see it, the rear main which is fed directly from the pump can conceivably get higher pressure than the rest of the engine. Which adds to the rear main leak in engines not equipped with a rear seal. Or am I wrong?
You all know I play with 21 studders, always chasing that rear main leak...just because I run a 336 oil pump in it!! [Hi flow or what?!!]
Old 07-05-2020, 02:44 AM   #59
Tinker

If you are going to regulate it with spring pressure, why do you need a high pressure pump? Just asking.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:52 AM   #60
flatheadmurre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Ok, so you've got an 80lb pump installed with a built in relief valve. Others have said you can 'regulate' the engine oil pressure through the relief valve at front of valve chamber. The engine will see pressure as regulated by the lower setting of the two r/v's Way I see it, the rear main which is fed directly from the pump can conceivably get higher pressure than the rest of the engine. Which adds to the rear main leak in engines not equipped with a rear seal. Or am I wrong?
You all know I play with 21 studders, always chasing that rear main leak...just because I run a 336 oil pump in it!! [Hi flow or what?!!]
The pressure isn´t going to be higher then the lowest relief spring dictates...only one pump so only one pressure within the engine.
That said oil lines restricting flow can make a difference....but not splitting into 2 oil lines with the relief spring in the end of one line.
The added flow is the issue for the slingers to handle...can only throw out and gravity feed back so much oil...