Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-16-2020, 06:43 PM   #1
swedishsteel

Default LB block repairable (or can it be)?????

I have a '36 LB block that has cracks along the pan rail on one side on the inside of the crankcase, both front and back of the main bearing web. Web isn't cracked. Three cylinders have vertical cracks, a couple the wall is visibly pushed into the water jacket, so it would take sleeves in all eight holes. I know if this was a later block, it wouldn't be worth the effort, but from what I can gather, LB blocks are kind of hard to find. First, can it be repaired? Second, is it worth it. I don't need it and have no use for it, so if somebody want's to try to fix it, they can come get it in central Minnesota, otherwise in will be on the trailer on the next load to the scrap yard. Regards, Rod
swedishsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:17 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: LB block repairable (or can it be)?????

This is not within my experience, but I'll venture my opinion that the conversion of a pre-LB block to accept inserts would be a more logical investment than to try to salvage a block that is known to have major cracks going in. Hopefully you'll get some expert advice, but again my opinion, the cracks you describe sounds like you have a candidate to practice repair technique, but nothing more.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:49 PM   #3
swedishsteel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
This is not within my experience, but I'll venture my opinion that the conversion of a pre-LB block to accept inserts would be a more logical investment than to try to salvage a block that is known to have major cracks going in. Hopefully you'll get some expert advice, but again my opinion, the cracks you describe sounds like you have a candidate to practice repair technique, but nothing more.

That's what I figured, but I'm wanting guys with a lot more experience and knowledge than me to chime in. Thanks
Old 06-16-2020, 08:53 PM   #4
VeryTangled

Car guys have done some really stupid and expensive things in the last hundred and twenty years. CAN it be saved? Of course! Should it be saved? Hmmm. Pics might help, but realistically until the uncracked blocks are well and truly gone, this one might be best used as a mule or test dummy, as Alan suggested.

Being in Sweden could add a bit of a twist to the saga and add to the desirability of this lump.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:16 PM   #5
tubman

Uhh, he said he's in "Central Minnesota" (which I can vouch for) and he's just trying to do the right thing.

Me? If I had the storage, I'd shove it under the bench and not scrap it.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:20 PM   #6
deuce_roadster

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I don't know about there but around here sleeves are around $100 a hole installed.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 12:39 PM   #7
swedishsteel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Uhh, he said he's in "Central Minnesota" (which I can vouch for) and he's just trying to do the right thing.

Me? If I had the storage, I'd shove it under the bench and not scrap it.
Hey, Denny, you can have it if you stop by and pick it up, or better yet, I'll bring it up to your shop! You back in MN yet, or still in Florida?
Old 06-17-2020, 12:43 PM   #8
swedishsteel

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
I don't know about there but around here sleeves are around $100 a hole installed.
I know it would take a lot of money to repair--question is, does the fact it's an LB block justify it?????

I had to sleeve all eight holes of the block I have in my '36 coupe, and that didn't have any cracks in it, just four wrist pins that had gouged ruts in the cylinder walls, so I know what it costs to have a block machined, let alone repaired. Rod
Old 06-17-2020, 12:51 PM   #9
flatheadmurre

If i had it here i would repair it on a rainy day just to make sure it survived to another generation...
But with normal cleaning and acid stripping then v-grinding all cracks before preheating and spray powder welding itīs real easy to poor in $2000+ in that block before its good to go.
On the other hand LB blocks donīt grow on trees...
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 03:41 PM   #10
tubman

Talking Re: LB block repairable (or can it be)?????

"Murre", If you mean it, I can get it from Rod and save it until you make your next trip here. (Do you think it would fit in the trunk of a '51 Coupe? I think so!)

Who says "The Buddy System" don't work?
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 03:43 PM   #11
swedishsteel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
"Murre", If you mean it, I can get it from Rod and save it until you make your next trip here. (Do you think it would fit in the trunk of a '51 Coupe? I think so!)

Who says "The Buddy System" don't work?
That would be kind of cool if it ended up in Sweden, where my great grandpa emigrated from in 1887!
Old 06-17-2020, 09:13 PM   #12
Lawson Cox

What is so all-fired desirable about LB blocks. A good babbit job is going to last you as long as you live and is a lot less expensive. If you're all that obsessed about an LB block, get some letter punches and stamp them on the block. Gimme a break.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:47 PM   #13
35fordtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
What is so all-fired desirable about LB blocks. A good babbit job is going to last you as long as you live and is a lot less expensive. If you're all that obsessed about an LB block, get some letter punches and stamp them on the block. Gimme a break.
I disagree, A set of Main bearings is $160 A babbit job will cost MUCH more than that. Aside from that cost, I would use either with no hesitation...
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 10:21 PM   #14
cas3

and, besides the cost difference, the fact is not many of the old timers who could do babbit work correctly are still workin. if you were listening in on the model A & T forums you would hear of new engines with babbit failure more often than you would think. its another old "art form" that is going away
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote