Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-24-2021, 04:27 PM   #1
Afordman31

Default Clutch Disk Chatter

My Model A started sometime ago clutch chattering. If I didn't ease the clutch peddle out it would just shake my pickup in reverse something terrible.
I have the engine out and removed the pressure plate and found the disk greasy and the groves on the back side kind of filled with dry mixture of dust and grease. I did notice that the throwout bearing had too much grease pumped into it as it was on the face of the bearing in gobs. I think this if my problem causing the chatter. Your thoughts appreciated.
Afordman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:04 PM   #2
chrs1961815

Default Re: Clutch Disk Chatter

It could be that for sure. Oil or grease on the disk is one of the main causes of that. The lining might be compromised now depending on how long it has been wet.
Thre other main cause is you have a clutch disk without any springs, which is either a very old original style one or some poor truck replacement.
Old 07-24-2021, 07:35 PM   #3
Ruth

Most throwout bearings these days are sealed. These days when you grease the throwout bearing you are basically only greasing the trans snout. Go lightly as not much is needed.

Last edited by Ruth; 07-24-2021 at 07:43 PM.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:38 PM   #4
Gene F

What Ruth said...
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:47 PM   #5
Jerry in Shasta

Loose motor mounts can cause chatter.
JB
Old 07-24-2021, 10:29 PM   #6
CWPASADENA

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Yes, It appears that you found the problem with all the grease and dried up stuff. Wash everything really good to get rid of all the old grease. Do not wash the throw out bearing. If it is still good, just clean the old grease from the outside and it should be fine.

DO NOT get any oil or grease on the new clutch facings. I would also just before you assemble every thing to wipe down the friction surfaces of the pressure plate assembly and the flywheel with lacquer thinner or acetone to be sure they are absolutely oil free.

Use caution if you are purchasing a new throw out bearing. There are some very poor quality replacements out there.

Also, I would only purchase a new clutch disc from Bratton's. They have the best quality disc available. Some other replacements are made off shore and do not have the proper provisions to capture the springs and they will come apart. Replacing the clutch disc is a lot of work so use the best parts available.

My opinion.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 11:54 PM   #7
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWPASADENA View Post
Also, I would only purchase a new clutch disc from Bratton's. They have the best quality disc available. Some other replacements are made off shore and do not have the proper provisions to capture the springs and they will come apart. Replacing the clutch disc is a lot of work so use the best parts available.

Chris W.
I agree, Bratton's disk captures the spring. MAC's disk captures the springs in the same manor.
Old 07-25-2021, 02:18 AM   #8
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afordman31 View Post
My Model A started sometime ago clutch chattering. If I didn't ease the clutch peddle out it would just shake my pickup in reverse something terrible.
I have the engine out and removed the pressure plate and found the disk greasy and the groves on the back side kind of filled with dry mixture of dust and grease. I did notice that the throwout bearing had too much grease pumped into it as it was on the face of the bearing in gobs. I think this if my problem causing the chatter. Your thoughts appreciated.
So, you found HALF the problem- that is oil on disc, pressure plate, etc.
Now you have to determine where the oil came from. Usual culprit… rear main seal.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 06:11 AM   #9
Patrick L.

Seems like you found your problem, that'll do it. Too much grease thru the collar has to go somewhere. If you have an original type bearing that can be greased, too much grease thru it will get slung all over.

I don't find the clutches have much oil/grease on them. The chatter then is usually flywheel/pressure plate fingers.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 08:14 AM   #10
nkaminar

Use new throwout and pilot bearings, of the best quality, when re assembling. You don't want to do this again in a few months or years.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:18 AM   #11
Tom Endy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
Most throw out bearings these days are sealed. These days when you grease the throw out bearing you are basically only greasing the trans snout. Go lightly as not much is needed.
I thought that also. But if you look at the inside diameter of the bearing where it mounts to the hub there is a series of holes that line up to the holes in the hub. As the bearing and hub move fore and aft on the transmission front bearing retainer I believe it forces grease up into the bearing.

Beware of Aetna throw out bearings they are designed to fail coming out of the box.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:10 PM   #12
Afordman31

Thanks for all your replies. Appreciated!
Afordman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:45 PM   #13
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
I thought that also. But if you look at the inside diameter of the bearing where it mounts to the hub there is a series of holes that line up to the holes in the hub. As the bearing and hub move fore and aft on the transmission front bearing retainer I believe it forces grease up into the bearing.

Tom Endy
Think I'll stick with what Bratton's says "Permanently lubricated. Sealed on both sides. Widest O.D. part of bearing toward engine."
Old 07-26-2021, 08:56 AM   #14
Will N

Over filling the oil pan can cause excess leakage onto the clutch face and that can cause chatter. It happened to me. I burned the clutch dry by slipping the clutch while revving the engine, and the chatter disappeared.
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote