Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-13-2021, 08:45 AM   #41
DavidG

Default Re: 1933 transmission tower plunger

You do not need to jack up the wheels to ascertain if it is in neutral or not. With respect, that is a waste of time and effort if the top (tower) is off of the transmission. Just consult Mac VanPelt's second link in #38 above and if the gears are not in their neutral position you can move them there by hand. His first link will help you ensure that the forks in the top (tower) are in their neutral position. To be on the safe side, please take a photo of the open transmission and the underside of the top after using the VanPelt links and post them here so we can confirm that both are in their neutral position.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:25 AM   #42
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
You do not need to jack up the wheels to ascertain if it is in neutral or not. With respect, that is a waste of time and effort if the top (tower) is off of the transmission. Just consult Mac VanPelt's second link in #38 above and if the gears are not in their neutral position you can move them there by hand. His first link will help you ensure that the forks in the top (tower) are in their neutral position. To be on the safe side, please take a photo of the open transmission and the underside of the top after using the VanPelt links and post them here so we can confirm that both are in their neutral position.
Thanks
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 08:38 AM   #43
FrankWest

Here is the latest.
I have an early style synchronizer, Donut shaped, no brass exposed.
I moved the gears to compare with Mac photo
see photo
I moved the shift calipers to expose notches.
Not the same as mac photo?
see photos
Also
There is a missing PIN from the tower see photo of pin I just ordered.
I wonder what else may be missing inside the slider.
Should the slide be tight...like it is or should it move easily?
Maybe Mac should clean up and rebuild?????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0159.jpg (41.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0143.jpg (41.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0150.jpg (38.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg tower Pin.jpg (19.0 KB, 12 views)
Old 07-14-2021, 08:58 AM   #44
1931 flamingo

I hope the missing pin is NOT down inside the tranny. Hopefully you lost it while the tower was off the car.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 09:43 AM   #45
Brian

Frank, with everything positioned as pictured, you should be able to drop the tower into place , orienting the forks into their respective grooves, and button 'er up. I'd leave the little pin out whilst doing this, you don't want to drop it into the trans; probably where your original one now resides!
Old 07-14-2021, 10:23 AM   #46
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
I hope the missing pin is NOT down inside the tranny. Hopefully you lost it while the tower was off the car.
Paul in CT
I don't think it ever had a pin.
Originally I removed the tower with the shift level installed as a unit.
I removed the shift lever far away from the car.
Old 07-14-2021, 10:26 AM   #47
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Frank, with everything positioned as pictured, you should be able to drop the tower into place , orienting the forks into their respective grooves, and button 'er up. I'd leave the little pin out whilst doing this, you don't want to drop it into the trans; probably where your original one now resides!
Good news, I found the pin on the floor of the car. I am so glad to learn that there was a pin and I was not driving the car without it. The pin fits very lose into the tower hole. It must have just slipped out when I removed the tower assembly. I have to glue it in with permetex gasket adhesive or something like that after I reassemble. I don't want it to slide back out again. Thank God it didn't drop into the gears. God must watch over drunks, fools and inexperienced mechanics.

Last edited by FrankWest; 07-14-2021 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-14-2021, 11:05 AM   #48
Terry,OH

The pin was in the transmission to start with and fell out upon disassembly. The shift lever pivots on the pin with it out it would be extremely sloppy. You now know a bit more about the shift top. Especially since the pin can fall into the transmission where it may be retrieved by a magnet or through the drain plug hole. There is no need to glue the pin in place once the shift lever is installed then slide the pin in place. The threaded cap covers the pin and makes it impossible to come out.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 11:20 AM   #49
DavidG

I agree with Brian, both your gears and forks are in their neutral position. Good thing you found the pin outside of the case. You likely should get a new pin and examine the slot in the shift lever where the pin fits with the lever in place. If the pin is a sloppy fit in the threaded top of the tower casting (your last photo) the odds are very high that the slot in the lever will be well worn and it is highly recommended that you take the lever to a qualified machine to have the slot restored to its original width. If a new pin still fits into the hole in the tower casting, you should have that hole restored as well or find a better shift tower. Should you choose to not restore those components, you will continue to have a loose shift lever and therefore a loose shift pattern when changing gears. Unfortunately, those steps likely will not stop your second gear from disengaging on deceleration as the cause for that likely remains within your gear case, not in the shift lever tower.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 11:21 AM   #50
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
The pin was in the transmission to start with and fell out upon disassembly. The shift lever pivots on the pin with it out it would be extremely sloppy. You now know a bit more about the shift top. Especially since the pin can fall into the transmission where it may be retrieved by a magnet or through the drain plug hole. There is no need to glue the pin in place once the shift lever is installed then slide the pin in place. The threaded cap covers the pin and makes it impossible to come out.
Thanks Terry for all your help. You are most kind.
I must be losing my mind because I never had the tower separate from the shift lever while in the car. And with the lever cap on there is no way for the pin tofall out. The only thing I could think of was when I removed the shift tower away from the car the pin slipped out and stuck to the tower exterior by grease.
And after I reinserted the lever and instaLLED THE tower that the pin stuck to the outside of the tower fell off onto the car's floor.
It was stupid of me not to realize that there was a pin involved.
Next time I want to do anything I will carefully research before I dismantle anything. Learned a lot, with your help and others on this board. I should know better, I am a watchmaker, and know that anybody can take a watch apart. The trick is knowing how to put it back together so that It can function properly.