Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-23-2016, 08:54 PM   #1
DJ S

Default Gas Tank Leak

When I bought my tudor, it had a terrible gas tank leak. It was leaking from numerous spots and it was full of rust so I decided to find a new tank and replace it. Luckily, a fellow club member had the exact tank I need so I purchased it from him. The tank was very close to rust free but I decided to have it washed out and pressure tested at a trusted radiator shop. I got it back, installed it. There were no leaks and all was good until today. After 4 months of no leaks, it decided to start leaking at the choke rod support. Now how should I repair it? I almost assume that it needs to come out, which I'm fine with doing but how would I repair in a way that will last me the rest of my lifetime.
DJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:26 PM   #2
H. L. Chauvin

Default Re: Gas Tank Leak

Prior to considering welding or soldering, FWIW, I have had success with name brand twin tube epoxy.

Completely drain tank, allow to dry inside thoroughly, remove "all" exterior paint to bare, "clean" oil free metal, mix epoxy according to directions, & apply.

Allow to dry a minimum of 24 hours.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:06 AM   #3
DJ S

I suppose I'll just solder it. I really don't want to have to deal with this again in 10 years.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:42 AM   #4
H. L. Chauvin

Hi DJ,

Depending on your heat source for soldering your gas tank, if your tank has internal gas fumes mixed with air, the good thing is ............ you will probably only hear the deafening BOOM once.

Just be careful.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:51 AM   #5
Fred K-OR

So far I have had good luck with just a good quality sealer put into the tank. You need to take the tank out to do this, anyway that is the way I did it. You can get it from any of the quality parts vendors. I am sure others will not agree with me on this, but like I said it has worked for me. I may regret it later but so far so good.

The reason I resorted to it was I had a tank on my huckster that had a bullet hole right under where the bottom of the tank was suppose to be sealed. I took it to a radiator repair shop a number of times to repair but it never did work. So went to the sealer.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:17 PM   #6
DJ S

Wouldn't a soldering iron do the trick with little risk?
Old 10-24-2016, 04:49 PM   #7
fastroadster

I have fixed literally hundreds of gas tanks.

1. Wash out gas tank with water after removing all fittings,cap etc. (Wash out good)
2. Get rags and plug up all holes (not totally airtight)
3. take old radiator hose hook it into tank behind any car or truck.
4. Let car or truck run for about an hour.
5. Immediately take off the hose plug all holes and solder immediately. Will not blow up. But.............if you wait and let tank sit. The fumes will come back. That's why you want to solder immediately after pulling it off running vehicle.
fastroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:22 PM   #8
Russ/40

Your willingness to take the tank out is a good thing, as you can get the best position of the tank for the work. I agree with post 2, with the exception of epoxy. That is a broad area as there are many epoxies like the JB quickset that I would stay away from. I used the slow cure JB Weld on my column support bracket that leaked. With the tank out you can flip it over and do the prep cleaning and roughing the metal for adhesion. The slow set has a tendency to flow, so I dam it with Fema modeling clay, and after it cures well you can shape it nicely for an original look. Your ahead of the game by the fact there is little stress at that point, and I would feel confident of a successful outcome.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:42 PM   #9
tbirdtbird
BANNED

carbon dioxide does not support combustion either
Old 10-24-2016, 07:28 PM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

The steering support on my 29 Tudor was soldered in place, then they added the 31 bracket and left the rubber out of the original bracket. It's been leak free all the years I've owned it since 1992.

A large electric soldering iron or heavy soldering copper would be entirely safe.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:54 PM   #11
Quigley1930

I have used JB Weld successfully with the tank in the car. You need CLEAN metal.

Sewall
Quigley1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:03 AM   #12
ian Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ S View Post
I suppose I'll just solder it. I really don't want to have to deal with this again in 10 years.
Never had to deal with a leaking Model A tank, but I have had good success sealing motorcycle and quad tanks with solder. I use a large electric soldering iron with an acid flux and good old fashioned lead/tin solder.

I am very lazy when it comes to cleaning up the site before soldering, just clean it up with a wire brush in an electric drill. But I have never had to redo a fix.

To avoid the one time boom Mr. Chauvin mentioned, never use a flame and in a very dry location, ground the tank and iron.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote